CamCorder Recommendation

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AnalogueAndy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

I know we've discussed the issue of 'which camera' before in video threads.

I've just been bought one of these (thanks Father Christmas), actually bought it for use on the bike but it makes a brilliant dashboard mounted camera,

Ok you get what you pay for but for less than £50 this is fantastic value and does the job brilliantly, incredibly small and light, dead easy to fit (with the free mounting kit).

I've not used it fully yet but it uses micro SD cards and alledgedly will record 90 minutes on a 2gb card

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-1022.aspx

[I'll hopefully get around to uploading some stuff soon. Broadband connection at home is terrible].
AnalogueAndy

Postby AnalogueAndy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:57 pm

Tech blurb:

Smallest high resolution DV Camcorder in the world. 2.0 mega pixel lens. 640 x 480 resolution at 25 frames per second. Built in Li-ion battery (1 charge will last approx 3 hours recording). Stores video on to micro SD card 2 GB included. Records sound (voice activation mode) and other features, 72 degree viewing angle, 1lux illumination for low light, Standby time 250 hours, includes universal attachment clip, USB 1.1/2.0.
AnalogueAndy

Postby jont » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:19 pm

I bought one of those recently. I think it's nearer 2 hours on a 2GB card, which is the same as the battery life, although it will take up to the 8GB cards if you have a USB connection (think it's the same as a TomTom so you might be able to use the same car adaptor). Sound quality in the elise cabin was pretty abysmal, but video quality itself not too bad.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:40 am

jont wrote:Sound quality in the elise cabin was pretty abysmal...
Perhaps you should buy it some earplugs :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby martine » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:00 am

I'd be very interested to see some 'footage' (doesn't seem the right word for a digital camera). How do you mount it? Does it have image stabilisation? Our Chief Obs likes the idea of being able to record some driving scenarios to show to Associates...a picture paints a thousand overtakes and all that.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:12 am

martine wrote:I'd be very interested to see some 'footage' (doesn't seem the right word for a digital camera). How do you mount it? Does it have image stabilisation? Our Chief Obs likes the idea of being able to record some driving scenarios to show to Associates...a picture paints a thousand overtakes and all that.

No image stabilisation. I've just clipped mine to the vent for the screen and it works fine. I'll try and upload something later on today.
jont

Postby jont » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Okay, I've uploaded a short video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DpGYyv8ejc
Was taken around September time last year, an hour or so before sunset, so tricky lighting conditions. Those who have done the Cotswold ADUK day may recognize the road. Lots of wind noise because the top was off. You can just about here the satnav a couple of times.
jont

Postby martine » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:33 pm

Thanks Jon - very impressive for such a cheap camera!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Smiling Assassin » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Seems a bit jerky (low frame rate or frame drop-out) but would certainly be adequate for observed runs.
Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Octy_Ross » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:49 am

Smiling Assassin wrote:Seems a bit jerky (low frame rate or frame drop-out) but would certainly be adequate for observed runs.

I came to a similar conclusion - a little unsmooth, perhaps frame rate, or dropped frames as you say. Then decided that for £50 it was probably as good as was needed!
Octy_Ross

Postby jont » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:31 am

Octy_Ross wrote:
Smiling Assassin wrote:Seems a bit jerky (low frame rate or frame drop-out) but would certainly be adequate for observed runs.

I came to a similar conclusion - a little unsmooth, perhaps frame rate, or dropped frames as you say. Then decided that for £50 it was probably as good as was needed!

I suspect it's dropped frames - it seems worst where there's a lot of information changing in the footage (on mine, mostly when the light levels change significantly). As you say though, for £50 it still seems like good value. Just need to remember to use it more!
jont

Postby Angus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 pm

Or alternatively use your existing camcorder and one of these.......

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suction ... mounts.htm
Angus

Postby Smiling Assassin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:01 pm

Angus wrote:Or alternatively use your existing camcorder and one of these.......

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/camera_suction ... mounts.htm

Not on a motorbike thanks all the same, though I have considered it.

I've been using an Archos AV500 in a tank bag with a bullet camera in various locations which works fairly well but the AV500 is a hard-drive based recorder and can suffer quite badly from bumps or severe vibration. I'm hoping to replace the AV500 with something solid-state this year. Obviously this isn't a cheap option but the result can be very good, although audio can be problematic at times

Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Postby Angus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Not bad - certainly serves its purpose.

Didn't record you response to the Peugeot at the start tho' :D
Angus

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum