First Aid trained?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

First Aid Training

Poll ended at Sat May 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Yes I'm First Aid trained
57%
No I'm not First Aid trained but I'd like to be
30%
No I'm not First Aid trained - I'd leave it others or dial 999
13%

Total votes : 23

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:35 pm

I am! And it's been very useful over the years.

Along with a colleage I've volunteered to give a talk on the subject to my local (IAM) group in a few weeks time.

It occurred to me that since we take we've taken the time to improve our driving skill, advanced drivers might be more likely to have other relevant skills - First Aid being perhaps one of the most obvious.

So.. hence the poll. :D
AnalogueAndy

Postby Horse » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:38 pm

Yup, 'FAW' for 24 years.

Luckily, never had to deal with anything bad.

Basics:

1. Keep them breathing
2. Stop them bleeding

Anything more is an advantage ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Laconic » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Yes indeed. I'm in the midst of training to be a St. John's First Aider. Went to my first rugby game (London Irish hopefuls) as an observer. :)

L.
Laconic

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:39 am

Im not...but its deffo sumfin Id like to be trained in :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Angus » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:29 pm

What do you call "first aid trained"?

Yes, I've done a "first aid in the workplace" course, where they show you how to stick a plaster on and let you practice on a cpr doll, and I carry a reasonable first aid kit in my car. But would I do much more than dial 999 in an emergency? I don't know.
Angus

Postby AnalogueAndy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 pm

Angus wrote:What do you call "first aid trained"?

Yes, I've done a "first aid in the workplace" course, where they show you how to stick a plaster on and let you practice on a cpr doll, and I carry a reasonable first aid kit in my car. But would I do much more than dial 999 in an emergency? I don't know.

"First Aid Trained":

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-cour ... ublic.aspx

Some give formal qualifications to meet statutory requirements (ie. First Aid at Work) but most don't

Angus wrote:
But would I do much more than dial 999 in an emergency? I don't know.

Trust me I've been there, you find someone who's just collapsed and is not breathing - be brave enough to give CPR and you may well save their life. You certainly won't kill them. Leave it until the 'experts' arrive and it'll most certainly be too late.

It's a common misconception that people giving First Aid leave themselves open to possible litigation - total rubbish, no one has ever been successfully sued for doing their best.
AnalogueAndy

Postby jasonh » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:21 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:It's a common misconception that people giving First Aid leave themselves open to possible litigation - total rubbish, no one has ever been successfully sued for doing their best.

So glad to see somebody pointing that out! I've been having this debate with a charity I volunteer for who have apparently stipulated that, in the event of a medical emergency on the premises, only a first aider with a current certificate should act.

First aid training is always a good thing. There's a misconceived fear of gung ho folks attempting biro tracheotomies and suchlike, which leads to fear of anyone doing anything, but the truth is that good CPR for example can be the difference between life and death while you await definitive treatment.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Angus wrote: Yes, I've done a "first aid in the workplace" course, where they show you how to stick a plaster on and let you practice on a cpr doll, and I carry a reasonable first aid kit in my car. But would I do much more than dial 999 in an emergency? I don't know.

And how long would it take for the professionals to arrive?

The First Aid at Work qual I have is really geared towards the 'work' environment, and easy access to an ambulance.

It wasn't when I first qualified - we were shown how to mummify casualties and transport them.

BUT . . . the same skills of keeping someone going will work just as well (albeit within the limits of tiredness with CPR etc, and other factors beyond your control) if you're miles from anywhere. And that's where you probably won't get a mobile signal.

And, since most of us don't phone & drive, it comes as something of a shock when you fail to get a signal just a mile or two outside of a large town!
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Custom24 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 pm

Depends if you mean having a current FAW certificate - mine's out of date by a couple of years. But I ticked yes.
Custom24

Postby The Thinker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:05 pm

In all seriouness, if you know how to open an airway (tilt the head back) and call 999 you will know how to treat a large majority of accidents you come across.
The Thinker

Postby Horse » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm

The Thinker wrote:In all seriouness, if you know how to open an airway (tilt the head back) and call 999 you will know how to treat a large majority of accidents you come across.

As I said:

Horse wrote:Basics:

1. Keep them breathing
2. Stop them bleeding

Anything more is an advantage ;)

But as I also said, you can't rely on getting a phone signal when away from civilisation ;)
Horse

Return to General Car Chat Forum