BMW 120 D or Audi A3 Sportback 2.0tdi?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a new car in the coming months and after researching quite a few different makes and models. And discounting quite a few. I think its a choice between a BMW 120 D or a Audi A3 Sportback. Has anybody had any dealings or opinions on either model or could you suggest any alternatives?

Ill mainly be using the car for normal day to day commuting up and down the motorway to work(hence the diesel option) as well as the occasional cross country drives into North Wales. No family yet but 4 doors is a must.

Ive had a 02 reg Renault Clio 1.2 petrol 3 door for the last four years. And after having clocked up 95000 miles since I got it. I now feel its time to move on to something a bit more grown up. Plus the lack of power and lack of 2 extra doors is starting to ware a bit thin.

Any advice suggestions and experiences welcome.

Thanks

Kris
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby jont » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:51 pm

IIRC Darren has just gone through a similar decision and ended up with a 118D.
jont

Postby waremark » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 pm

My son considered the 2 door versions of those two, and ended up with a One Series Coupe. It is nice, good, and no reasons for regret. Other young members of my family have a 118d and an A3 Sportback, and all are happy.

Negatives of the One, while not very significant, are: relative to other cars of a similar size small back seat, with small doors, slightly firm ride, and weak in winter conditions unless you invest in winter tyres (my son has done so). Positives are outstanding performance/economy compromise, feeling of quality, generally nice to drive.

In both cases you are paying something for a premium brand. You would probably get better value from the likes of Seat or Skoda (Skoda Octavia VRS?), or Alfa Romeo, let alone Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30 (similar amount of car for much less money).
waremark

Postby Darren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:29 pm

I took delivery of a 118D M Sport a couple of weeks ago, personally I like it. Went for the 118 rather than 120 because after test driving both over consecutive weekends, there didn't feel that much in it performance wise - and due to emissions effectively means I get a pay rise on the 118. I test drove the A3 and hated it. Seems to be very noisy on the motorway compared to the BMW, don't get as many options for the same price etc. The M Sport interior is quite nice (well I like it anyway and much preferred to standard or ES models). The BM is a bit stiff, the run flats aren't great - but for me its quite a big improvement on the Saab 93 I had before.
Darren

Postby oxtondriver » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:09 pm

My god talk about a fast response I only posted just over an hour ago. Thanks for the responses a lot to think about already.
I dont think the 1 series coupe would be for me. I'm at that time in life now where a family could be a posability in the future. So I want a grown up car thats fun to drive plus economical and practical enough that when we eventually do start a family I wouldnt have to get rid of it straight away. Sounds a bit boring I know. :?

I have wondered about the BMW in the winter, a few friends have said they are bad in the ice and snow with them being rear wheel drive, but as you say winter tyres would sort that out.

Not thought about a Skoda Octavia VRS I must admit I missed that one what are they like to drive?

I know the prices are a bit steep and I relise that alot of it is for the badge. I'm not looking to buy new as that would be well outside my price range. I will be looking at cars upto 3 years old I think.

Think when the time comes the only thing to do is test drive them in turn and see which one I prefer.

Thanks for the replies keep them coming all input is welcome.

Kris
IAM 22/09/2008 (Wirral Group)
Rospa Gold 14/01/2014 (Merseyside Group).
Ford Focus ST
oxtondriver

Postby waremark » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:48 am

I know some people with Octavia vrs's who think they are great. I can confirm that the One is excellent in snow and ice if you spend the money on winter tyres - the tyre cost is not significant because you are using the winters instead of your normal tyres, but you probably buy a second set of wheels (my son got his off ebay) and then you have to find somewhere to store them.
waremark

Return to General Car Chat Forum