Driving to France

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Every year we go to Disneyland Paris. When I passed my test I was convinced I would be able to drive there...therefore cutting the cost 8) ....well last year we didnt actually get to go, this year we definately are :D ....so im after any advice please. Am I sensible in thinking I would be able to drive there? having never driven in France before?? I dont want to book the holiday as self-drive and then decide I wouldnt be able to make it :( Anyone on here driven there before?? or even in France?? can you tell me what its like :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Gareth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:20 pm

Just an extra thought - if you're not used to driving that sort of distance you should perhaps first try doing a similar length journey in the UK.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 pm

chriskay wrote:The main difficulty, of course, is driving on the right; it's very easy to forget, particularly after a stop. This is not so likely, of course, on the motorways (autoroutes), you've just got to have your wits about you when you get back onto single carriageway roads.

I posted my thoughts about driving in Ibiza last autumn (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2672) which was my first experience on the "wrong" side of the road. Just to re-iterate Chris's point here - the nearest I came to getting unstuck was turning back onto a main road having been up someones drive or in a carpark where there isn't really space to have a "side" of the road to keep to.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:10 pm

Echo what Chris said. It's not actually that difficult, after no more than an hour you will feel right at home. Things to watch:

- Turning out of a car park etc. onto a road as mentioned by Jon, easy to set off in the wrong direction.
- At roundabouts, make sure you go the other way round from what you're used to.
- Remember your offside mirror will be the important one, it may be worth getting an overtaking mirror fitted to it if it doesn't have an integral one, or use your passenger to do shoulder checks for you to start with.
- Take it easy and have frequent stops for a mental rest.
- Beware of the odd "priorite a droite" junction which do still exist in places, I believe.
- Read up on the speed limits and road signs before you get there (wish I'd taken this advice myself when I first went abroad) so you're not driving along thinking "what's the speed limit" all the time, or confused by unfamiliar signs.
- Enjoy! It's fun, once you get used to it.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:- Read up on the speed limits and road signs before you get there (wish I'd taken this advice myself when I first went abroad) so you're not driving along thinking "what's the speed limit" all the time, or confused by unfamiliar signs.

And make sure you know how to read your cars speed in KPH as that's what speed limits will be set in (sorry if it's obvious!). Similarly distances will be KM when estimating how long it will take to get to the next town/landmark.
jont

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks guys some really good tips there :D :D

I dont have much motorway experience, all ive done is a motorway lesson (over a year ago :oops: ) and last week I went on the M25 - only for one junction though - and managed to miss the slip road on the return journey - so actually my experience is a bit sad :oops: :oops: Hopefully if I get a sat nav that will help and get meself out and about in this country first :D...ADUK driving days might help!!

I would use tunnel and not the ferry...had an awful experience when I was 20 on a ferry to Jersey...in gail force winds...sea sick after 10 minutes...and we got blown off course so the journey was an extra 7 hours longer!!!...we came home by plane :lol: :lol: ...cost more than the whole holiday :lol: :lol:

Thanks Chris im sure I will have lots more questions to ask :D

ps Jon how on earth did you manage to not only drive on the wrong side of the road but drive a LHD car as well :shock: :shock:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:27 pm

jont wrote:make sure you know how to read your cars speed in KPH

I dont have a clue how to do that :shock: ...anyone enlighten me??
x-Sonia-x

Postby GJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:28 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Every year we go to Disneyland Paris. When I passed my test I was convinced I would be able to drive there...therefore cutting the cost 8) ....well last year we didnt actually get to go, this year we definately are :D ....so im after any advice please. Am I sensible in thinking I would be able to drive there? having never driven in France before?? I dont want to book the holiday as self-drive and then decide I wouldnt be able to make it :( Anyone on here driven there before?? or even in France?? can you tell me what its like :D

One other thing Sonia (you might already be aware of it): the French have rules about equipment you must carry in the car - warning triangle and reflective jacket were recently added. The AA seems to have a helpful looking website, including a pdf to dowload from this page: European Driving. Any of the items should be easy to get from car parts shops (like Halfords), garages or service stations.

In terms of actually driving there, I think the other answers have covered the things to bear in mind. I'm sure you'll be OK. The biggest single thing you can do to make any driving journey stress-free is to give yourself plenty of time.

Gavin
GJD

Postby GJD » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:32 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:
jont wrote:make sure you know how to read your cars speed in KPH

I dont have a clue how to do that :shock: ...anyone enlighten me??

Well if the speedo is a needle on a dial there's usually a kph scale written on the same dial, but if you're in a Citroen don't some of them have digital speed displays? In which case, I'm only guessing but there may well be a way to change the digital display to read KPH instead of MPH. If that's possible the car handbook will tell you how to do it.

Gavin
GJD

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:35 pm

GJD wrote: you're in a Citroen don't some of them have digital speed displays? In which case, I'm only guessing but there may well be a way to change the digital display to read KPH instead of MPH. If that's possible the car handbook will tell you how to do it.

Yes my C3 has digital display...I will take a look in the handbook and see if it can be changed :?
x-Sonia-x

Postby jont » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:39 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:ps Jon how on earth did you manage to not only drive on the wrong side of the road but drive a LHD car as well :shock: :shock:

Like I said in my comments. Slowly and carefully to start with. The pedal layout is all the same, spacial awareness is something I find I manage quite well - my biggest struggle was with muscle memory for the gearstick. In terms of the Gordon competence matrix, I went back to conscious incompetence so gave myself more time everywhere to think about what I was doing.
jont

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:42 pm

jont wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:ps Jon how on earth did you manage to not only drive on the wrong side of the road but drive a LHD car as well :shock: :shock:

Like I said in my comments. Slowly and carefully to start with. The pedal layout is all the same, spacial awareness is something I find I manage quite well - my biggest struggle was with muscle memory for the gearstick. In terms of the Gordon competence matrix, I went back to conscious incompetence so gave myself more time everywhere to think about what I was doing.

Amazing!!!....just shows it can be done :D ...the other thing I would say as well is, I want to do this every year, so hopefully once ive done it once the next time wont be so bad 8)
x-Sonia-x

Postby waremark » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:47 pm

Several people have said that the most difficult aspect is driving on the other side of the road. I don't find that - although I agree with the sort of situations where it is possible to make a mistake. I find that what is more difficult is that things look unfamiliar: road markings, signs, traffic lights and so on look different and are positioned in different places. This means that it takes much more concentration to work out what it is that you are looking at, and great care is needed until you have become familiar with the new environment.

In comparing the cost of driving to other ways of travelling, do consider getting yourself appropriate insurance cover and vehicle recovery cover, and also consider the cost of motorway tolls. How the cost compares will probably depend on how many people are travelling. I tend to find it cheaper to fly and hire a car at the destination airport.

It seems to me like quite a brave venture for someone who has only once travelled on motorways since taking a lesson. I suggest not booking until you have taken a longer journey in the UK - perhaps after your ADUK day near Swindon. Best of luck.
waremark

Postby fungus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:51 pm

chriskay wrote:
waremark wrote: traffic lights and so on look different and are positioned in different places.

Good point: in France the traffic lights go straight from red to green & you only get about 5 microseconds before the car behind starts honking. :oops:

IIRC they also use a flashing amber. I remember it being used at road works in Brittany. I don't know whether it is used at light controlled junctions where you give way instead of stopping. This system is used at some junctions in the Republic of Ireland where lights go straight from red to green and they start moving forward on red. :roll:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Smiling Assassin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 am

As I drive on the continent for a living there is one thing that sticks out very frequently - a breakdown within minutes off getting off the train/ferry! Please make sure your car is fully serviced BEFORE you leave UK - and that includes checking that you have good tyres.

A practice run might be a good idea - maybe a day-trip to Boulogne or somewhere like that - to give you a taster of driving on the "wrong" side of the road. You could even take a passenger along that has driven on the continent a few times to give you some pointers.

Book your train/ferry early to get a better price.
Phil
Group Observer East Kent Advanced Motorcyclists (EKAM)
Smiling Assassin

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum