BBC article on Rural roads - encouraging more training!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am

Novel to see an article on rural roads that doesn't mention reducing speed limits:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8538838.stm
Quotes from Stephen Haley and DIAmond Advanced Motorists encouraging more/better training. Sadly no mention of IAM/ RoSPA, although there is an IAM link on the side of the article.
jont

Postby michael769 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:36 am

All credit to the local authority for taking the time to carry out proper research into the problem, rather than just applying the default quick fixes that many others seem to prefer.

A missed opportunity for RoADAR and/or the IAM to highlight that AD has an emphasis rural road driving, partly because it is such a large gap in the DSA test.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TiJay » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:41 pm

Took them long enough to realise the cure lies in training, not speed limits. The key is making sure people don't hit things, not slowing them down so it's not as bad when they do hit something.
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby waremark » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:34 pm

But the concrete plans seem rather weak: an optional school module, for which my guess is that the take-up will be low, an exercise in independent driving in the driving test, which to the best of my knowledge does not address a known area of accident causation, and Pass Plus continuing to be optional. There will also probably be changes to the theory and HP tests.
waremark

Postby Darren » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Its good to see that they used this. I was contacted by the BBC and suggested Steve give them a call :-)
Darren

Return to General Car Chat Forum