removing road signs

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:30 pm

Question for the traffic engineers here:

If a road has a reduced speed limit do they also look at the existing signage and if no longer relevant, remove it?

Reason for asking is I travelled a rural road today that has gone from NSL to 40 and noticed (unusual for me!) warning signs of a bend (chevrons) and a t-junction sign that due to the lower limit were probably no longer needed.

Some would say the hazard is still there so keep the sign but my argument would be chevrons (for example) need to hightlight particularly sharp or surprising bends - yet at the lower speed they seem OTT and will dilute the effect in other more tricky situations.

Comments anyone?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gareth » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:56 pm

Some roads appear to be signed for bikers ... even NSL roads!
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Big Err » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:20 am

Watch this space Martin - As part of the review of rural speed limits, I'm adding in the bill to revamp all signs and lines to the new speed limit (where the wonderful TRL tools suggests so :roll: ) as part of the exercise.

It would be interesting to see if the instigators of the speed limit review will be keen to take onboard the costs of the practical exercise and accept the liability if warning signing and lining is removed or reduced to reflect their goal.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby 7db » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:58 am

Will you also add in the saving from not having to maintain the road to such a high standard?
7db

Postby Big Err » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm adding in everything imaginable! :wink:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Return to General Car Chat Forum