ADIs vs The Haterz

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Ok, call me naiive but why do people tend to dislike ADIs?

We're really not all bad or anal you know :wink: Gone are the days of the ex-cons; :mrgreen: I worked in London <City> for 20 years in all kinds of financial environments with all kinds of beautiful people :shock: organising events for between 300-1000 peeps, it was great funage!

When I decided to cut loose (mainly from the 20 years of coach commuting up the A2), I put £7K into my training including blood, sweat + tears and more and still more! I love my job for several reasons from the thought of trying to save one person's life from training them well (hopefully more but you never know) to the magic that happens when someone (who wants to learn) learns something. I also enjoy the entertainment provided by The Public on a daily basis (...I hereby apologise for all my Public actions since I was an egg). :oops:

There is a bigger picture to all this but I'll spare you the details... you've suffered enough for now :wink:

Go'on give it your best shot, educate me :D
Love Thy Neighbour; even if he has a machete...
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby 7db » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Do people dislike ADIs?

(could it be their paranoia that makes everyone gang up on them?)
7db

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:51 pm

7db wrote:o people dislike ADIs?

I dont :D :D ...he was the person who gave me the gift of being able to drive...I have nothing but admiration for him...he had the patience of a saint to sit through 10 tests in 6 months with me :D :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby LEARN2RIDE » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:55 am

relax
LEARN2RIDE

Postby ROG » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 am

Could it be because the term ADI and the DSA go together and most do not like the DSA?

ADIs have competition from other ADIs so there is a choice

DSA....... what competition do they have ???
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:28 am

I don't think people hate ADIs per se, although I know there is some ill-feeling in IAM/RoSPA driving circles where ADI's take up the "free" training offered by local groups, sit the test and then up sticks and sell advanced training themselves without giving anything back to the groups.

Whether that's a real problem or not I don't know. I certainly know of a few ADIs who do give a lot back to their respective groups. Conversely there are also several ADI's I would choose to pay for advanced training ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

Grumpyoldwoman wrote:why do people tend to dislike ADIs?

These days more ADIs tend to promote the idea that learner drivers should do all their learning with ADIs. It's probably a result of there being more ADIs with consequently greater competition. When I was learning to drive it wasn't uncommon for youngsters to be insured on the family car so they could get a lot of practice between lessons, mainly because doing everything with an ADI was financially out of reach for most people. The old rule of thumb was that a typical learner would, on average, need one lesson for every year they were old.

I'm not sure that alone is enough of a reason to dislike ADIs but it certainly is an annoyance.

More realistically, if you are asking about learners, then I would suggest that most young people tend to believe, first, that driving is a right, and, second, that driving is easy 'because everyone does it'. The second point is especially important in a society that expects instant results, because there is often a great shock with the realisation that driving is actually quite hard, and in some cars it requires physical effort as well.

Finally I think some ADIs are disliked because they use weird spelling for certain words ;-)
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:29 am

Gareth wrote:More realistically, if you are asking about learners, then I would suggest that most young people tend to believe, first, that driving is a right, and, second, that driving is easy 'because everyone does it'. The second point is especially important in a society that expects instant results, because there is often a great shock with the realisation that driving is actually quite hard, and in some cars it requires physical effort as well.

Not just instant results, but increasingly teachers aren't allowed to tell pupils they are bad at something and exams are set up to remove the concept of failure (just passes at different levels). The driving test is still very stark.

Drifting off topic, but Gareth's last comment is an interesting one. Given most members of the public when asked about their driving would say they are better than average, I suspect most would also say if they resat the DSA driving test they would expect to fail. What does that tell us about the attitude to the training/test process?
jont

Postby Angus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:45 am

Perhaps ADI's reaction to other motorists could be better

But considering how most drivers react to learners, it's surprising it isn't a whole lot worse.
Angus

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Do people hate ADIs? I suspect many people just equate them with learner drivers. Learners do tend to be a nuisance, and they are sat in a car proclaiming that Fred Blogg's Driving School are the ones to blame for the person holding up the traffic and causing consternation.

I know we were all learners once, but I think most people view learners as a hinderance, and most view the DSA methods as somewhat old fashioned and dogmatic. I suppose because once people have been driving for a while, post test, you find driving relatively easy. The clunky, mechanical movements of a learner driver seem so removed from the driving styles of the majority.

Oh, and the driving standards of some ADIs leaves a lot to be desired. They should be setting a good example :wink:

I don't hate ADIs. I hate everybody and everything. :twisted:
Gromit37

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Gromit37 wrote:I don't hate ADIs. I hate everybody and everything.

:lol: :lol: ...classic answer :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:58 pm

Ahhh that's more like it, some good responses here - keep it coming!!

Slightly concerned about the paranoia :o but the schizophrenia is more of a problem :shock: :shock: :shock: at the present time and if we relax much more, we'd be horizontal and that is not going to make a good view of the road ahead now, is it? 8) 8) 8) .

Anyway, Sonia - better late than never but well done for meeting ole man Percy Verance with that driving test, it's so good that you weren't put off. Percy's a great mate of mine too. :wink:

Gromit37 wrote: Do people hate ADIs? I suspect many people just equate them with learner drivers. Learners do tend to be a nuisance, and they are sat in a car proclaiming that Fred Blogg's Driving School are the ones to blame for the person holding up the traffic and causing consternation.

Oh, and the driving standards of some ADIs leaves a lot to be desired. They should be setting a good example :wink:

I don't hate ADIs. I hate everybody and everything. :twisted:

Fred Blogg's himself IS the one who's holding up the traffic not the pupil. I feel so sorry for the pupil when I see them plodding along on a 'big boy' road (particularly when I'm behind them) when it's blatantly obvious they're not ready for it; ADIs bad decision making there. Not only do they reinforce the 'Haterz' (that's for Gareth :wink: ) sometimes within their own fraternity :cry: , more importantly, it can have catastrophic affects on the pupil's confidence in the early stages of learning too.

I agree with your comment about ADI driving standards! Some patrol Police driving I've seen is questionable as well tbh (tailgating, 40 in a 30 with no blues... tut, tut, tut)! :oops:

ROG wrote:Could it be because the term ADI and the DSA go together and most do not like the DSA?

ADIs have competition from other ADIs so there is a choice

DSA....... what competition do they have ???

Interesting point... who could be the contenders for that?

jont wrote: Drifting off topic, but Gareth's last comment is an interesting one. Given most members of the public when asked about their driving would say they are better than average, I suspect most would also say if they resat the DSA driving test they would expect to fail. What does that tell us about the attitude to the training/test process?

:lol: Maybe we could get 20 people together from this forum (not including ADIs or those in the DSA/DIA related areas - cheating's not allowed!!) to take the whole test as it stands today to prove this theory and see what happens!!

Helluva discussion thread if you ALL failed!!! :wink:
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:37 pm

Grumpyoldwoman wrote:Anyway, Sonia - better late than never but well done for meeting ole man Percy Verance with that driving test, it's so good that you weren't put off. Percy's a great mate of mine too.

:lol: :lol: ...please can I change my username...I want to be Percy now :lol: :lol:

Grumpyoldwoman wrote: Maybe we could get 20 people together from this forum (not including ADIs or those in the DSA/DIA related areas - cheating's not allowed!!) to take the whole test as it stands today to prove this theory and see what happens!!

Helluva discussion thread if you ALL failed!!!

I would absolutely love to sit my test again now...and im sure I would pass first time :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby Grumpyoldwoman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:16 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:
I would absolutely love to sit my test again now...and im sure I would pass first time :lol: :lol:

I don't know if we could class that as 'cheating' or not :wink: Have you done any of the DIAmond ones? :D
Grumpyoldwoman

Postby crr003 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Grumpyoldwoman wrote:Fred Blogg's himself IS the one who's holding up the traffic not the pupil. I feel so sorry for the pupil when I see them plodding along on a 'big boy' road (particularly when I'm behind them) when it's blatantly obvious they're not ready for it; ADIs bad decision making there. Not only do they reinforce the 'Haterz' (that's for Gareth :wink: ) sometimes within their own fraternity :cry: , more importantly, it can have catastrophic affects on the pupil's confidence in the early stages of learning too.

Not sure what a "big boy" road is?!
Do ADIs focus much attention on teaching making progress (driving at the speed limit if safe to do so)? In my vast experience of being driven by ADIs (all two of them - Learner ADIs, not AD ADIs), neither made what I would consider to be adequate progress - 45/50 in an NSL for example.

I think the DSA test includes a bit on making adequate progress - both ADIs thought 50 in a 60 was adequate.

Grumpyoldwoman wrote:Some patrol Police driving I've seen is questionable as well tbh (tailgating, 40 in a 30 with no blues... tut, tut, tut)! :oops:

Why should they have had blues on?
crr003

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum