Vision

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun May 09, 2010 2:59 pm

I had a RoSPA drive today and became apparent through talking with my tutor that my vision is causing me quite alot of problems with my general driving :( . I have worn glasses since I was a year old and have only blurred vision in my right eye, which cannot be corrected. My left eye compensates for the lack of vision in the right eye...and until today really only thought caused a big problem when reversing. It seems though this may be the reason that im reluctant to make the decision to go at a roundabout etc....I tend to look, look and look again :oops: The big A pillar on me C3 doesnt help either :twisted:

I also have a problem driving at night, anything that is coming towards me is even more blurred because of the headlights :(

I wonder if there is anyone on here who has a problem with vision and can share ways they have of ovecoming this, thanks :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Sun May 09, 2010 3:13 pm

I had a 'shunt' put in my right eye in 2000 which caused it to become 'out of alignedment' so now I have great distance vision in left eye and great near vision in right eye !!!

I only have to wear special glasses if I cannot see the right mirror with my left eye when in the normal driving position

no problems at all with both eyes open - each compensates for the other depending where the focus is

I don't know if this is the same as your condition.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun May 09, 2010 4:38 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I wonder if there is anyone on here who has a problem with vision and can share ways they have of ovecoming this, thanks :D

I had a retinal detachment back in 2000 that has left me with partial sight in my right eye. Fortunately the sight in my left eye is 20/20. I've found the key is to move my head slightly more and I also use shoulder checks where perhaps peripheral vision would suffice normally.

For night driving, one of the keys is to try and not look directly at headlights and shift vision across to the nearside kerb to maintain "adjusted" night vision.

As for reversing, it's never been a strong point but I think that's down to my technique rather than my eye sight :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Sun May 09, 2010 8:35 pm

That's three of us in the - odd right eyeball brigade :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Gareth » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 am

For balance, I have partial blindness in my left eye. Had it since birth, and the effect is that vision with that eye is blurred and it can see nothing straight ahead. On the plus side it can detect colour and and movement using peripheral vision but to actually see something in focus I rely entirely on my right eye.

Sonia - what is the state of your left eye? You say you wear glasses so presumably they're doing nothing for your right eye and therefore are providing a correction for your left eye. Based on my experience I don't think the vision problems in your right eye will stop you becoming an excellent driver, but you might like to direct your question about night driving to those who wear glasses for driving.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby martine » Mon May 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Gareth wrote:...Based on my experience I don't think the vision problems in your right eye will stop you becoming an excellent driver...

I find it really quite depressing that both Gareth and Scoobychris are much better drivers than I, yet have restricted vision...that's just rubbing it in :?

(I've got good eyesight but...ha...I've have got the skin condition:Psoriasis - that's my excuse otherwise I'd be up there :roll: ).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GJD » Mon May 10, 2010 2:05 pm

martine wrote:(I've got good eyesight but...ha...I've have got the skin condition:Psoriasis - that's my excuse otherwise I'd be up there :roll: ).

I always thought sore-eye-asis sounded more like an eyesight condition.
GJD

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon May 10, 2010 2:49 pm

GJD wrote:
martine wrote:(I've got good eyesight but...ha...I've have got the skin condition:Psoriasis - that's my excuse otherwise I'd be up there :roll: ).

I always thought sore-eye-asis sounded more like an eyesight condition.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....guys you do make me larf!!!

Gareth wrote:Sonia - what is the state of your left eye?

My vision in the left eye isnt good either :lol: ....without glasses that is, if I was to have no glasses I would not able to focus at all. The glasses correct my vision in the left eye....(not quite milk bottle tops though :lol: ). Until yesterday I didnt event think about my vision as being a problem with my driving!!...only reversing...as I find 'all round' vision hard to deal with :lol: ...well sort of :lol: It was my tutor who realised that I wasnt 'seeing' things at the same time/or how he was.....quite amazing really...as he is the first person to of noticed it, before this I just dealt with it the best I can. I do hope thought that it doesnt stop me from learning advanced....my enthusiasm is back :D :D ....and ive got more confidence back too :D
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon May 10, 2010 5:27 pm

I have gradually deteriorating vision that means I wear glasses for driving nowadays. I don't find night driving a problem except for glare. I admire all who manage to drive, as Martin says, better than I, with the vision impairments they have. I'm sure your problems are not insurmountable, Sonia - you just need to learn how to work round them. Lots of good advice already. I think the key is probably to move your head more. Be proactive and seek out information. Even fully-sighted people can benefit from this. When I remember to move my head I see more than when I lapse into "letting the information come to me".
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Mon May 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Be proactive and seek out information. Even fully-sighted people can benefit from this. When I remember to move my head I see more than when I lapse into "letting the information come to me".

I that's exactly right. The System begins with - and is elegantly bound together by - Information, a lot of which you obviously take in with your eyes. But doing that well isn't governed by how good your eyesight is, it's governed by understanding what information might be important/useful, how early it might be available and then going and seeking it out.
GJD

Postby jcochrane » Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I think the key is probably to move your head more. Be proactive and seek out information. Even fully-sighted people can benefit from this. When I remember to move my head I see more than when I lapse into "letting the information come to me".

This reminds me that the art of driving quickly lies in the skill of knowing when to drive slowly. Or...constantly search for reasons to slow.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Tue May 11, 2010 12:33 am

jcochrane wrote:This reminds me that the art of driving quickly lies in the skill of knowing when to drive slowly. Or...constantly search for reasons to slow.

my problem is im slowing down...probably too much on roundabouts as im checking 3-4 times if its my space and I can go....and actually making that decision til really late :( ...this may be because ive had a couple of near misses...one turning right at a mini roundabout and just didnt see the people carrier....that had to swerve to miss me :oops: ....and the same thing happened last week just round the corner from me...a huge 4x4 this time but just didnt see him :oops:

I am worried that this is firstly going to hinder my advanced training...and secondly that sooner rather than later it wont be a near miss.....and worrying about these things only makes it worse :oops:....but it is only roundabouts and right hand turns that seem to cause me problems :)
x-Sonia-x

Return to General Car Chat Forum