Routing on Sat Navs - how to do it

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Custom24 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:34 pm

I've put together a three part tutorial on YouTube which describes how to do this, as I know it is a confusing topic for many.

Routing explained, particularly for Garmin Nuvi 700/800 series, using free software and services
What is routing? GPX Files, TomTom ITN files
Preparing routes on the device and using software

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laay3AOjFr4
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL3qh2tdSaE
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV0kg4CaaZk

Check them out.
Thanks, Mark
Custom24

Postby Horse » Mon May 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Thanks, I'll have a watch later.

Had an odd instance yesterday: planned a route the 'old' way, by map and common sense, checked it on theaa.com route finder as a sanity check and to find time and distance, then switched on the Garmin :) It agreed with the other two.

Off we went.

Half way along we switched on the satnav - no power cable (for some reason it won't stay plugged into the Astra's lighter socket) so running on battery only - to check our location.

Although we were on the 'agreed' route, the Garmin now wanted us to take a [longer] detour off the planned route!

Weird. We ignored it :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Mon May 17, 2010 7:06 pm

Horse wrote:no power cable (for some reason it won't stay plugged into the Astra's lighter socket

Some Garmin units come with a small plastic collar that, probably, most people either lose or throw away. The idea is that it fits over the power connector plug so that it has a snug fit in the socket in European cars. Have a look at the wikipedia page that explains differences in size of sockets in American and European cars.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby GJD » Mon May 17, 2010 9:46 pm

Useful stuff Mark. Thanks for posting these. I've just (last few days) started playing with Tyre and satnav routes for the first time and you've accelerated my progress up the learning curve :) .
GJD

Postby Horse » Tue May 18, 2010 8:54 am

Gareth wrote:
Horse wrote:no power cable (for some reason it won't stay plugged into the Astra's lighter socket

Some Garmin units come with a small plastic collar that, probably, most people either lose or throw away. The idea is that it fits over the power connector plug so that it has a snug fit in the socket in European cars.

Hmmm . . . interesting, ta.

AFAIR, there were no 'spare' bits in the box, and the standard plug fits fine in the Filly's socket (IYSWIM :oops: ) in her Altea.

We also have a phone charger which fits both cars - just I'm slightly wary of using a phone charger to drive the Garmin.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jont » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 am

Horse wrote:We also have a phone charger which fits both cars - just I'm slightly wary of using a phone charger to drive the Garmin.

Presumably the end of the phone charger cable to fit the phone is mini or micro USB if it will fit both phone and Garmin, in which case it should be providing 5V and so /should/ be fine to use on either.
jont

Postby Horse » Tue May 18, 2010 10:17 am

jont wrote:
Horse wrote:We also have a phone charger which fits both cars - just I'm slightly wary of using a phone charger to drive the Garmin.

Presumably the end of the phone charger cable to fit the phone is mini or micro USB if it will fit both phone and Garmin, in which case it should be providing 5V and so /should/ be fine to use on either.

Yup, both the same.

Just I'm a bit wary of blowing up the Filly's Garmin - she uses it most days as her job involves criss-crossing the county from often [almost] random locations :)
Horse

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue May 18, 2010 9:26 pm

jont wrote:Presumably the end of the phone charger cable to fit the phone is mini or micro USB if it will fit both phone and Garmin, in which case it should be providing 5V and so /should/ be fine to use on either.

acid test would be; if the unit charges when plugged into a pc then it's a standard USB pinout (there are only 4 so you could multimeter check them)
Octy_Ross

Postby Horse » Wed May 19, 2010 9:11 am

Octy_Ross wrote:
jont wrote:Presumably the end of the phone charger cable to fit the phone is mini or micro USB if it will fit both phone and Garmin, in which case it should be providing 5V and so /should/ be fine to use on either.

acid test would be; if the unit charges when plugged into a pc then it's a standard USB pinout (there are only 4 so you could multimeter check them)

It does :)
Horse

Postby Terry Williams » Sun May 23, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks for these Mark. Very useful. Just need to clarify a point. The unit holds only 10 routes. Can more than ten be stored in "My data"?

Having watched again I've now found the answer. But what I cannot follow is to get the route into gpx file and cannot open them in internet explorer. Is there someone who can please put it into an idiots guide for the most computer illiterate person on the planet.

Thanks
TJW
Terry Williams

Postby Custom24 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 pm

Terry - what exactly is it you would like to be able to do? What is the start point and what is the end point you want?

(e.g. start point is gpx file available on Internet link or in an email and end point is you want to have it on your Nuvi and drive it?)
Mark
Custom24

Postby Terry Williams » Tue May 25, 2010 6:46 pm

Mark,

I am trying to create a route on google maps, following yourvideo however I cannot get a gpx file- it is called MHT.

Furthemore when i open the nuvi drive there is no gpx foldershown as you mention in your video.

Terry
TJW
Terry Williams

Postby Gareth » Tue May 25, 2010 7:08 pm

Terry,

What model satnav do you have?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:36 pm

have done a quick 5 min vid showing the process in more detail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOBjKxrmbf8
Custom24

Postby Custom24 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:37 pm

gareth
terry has a nuvi 700 series
Custom24

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum