Questions from a young and inexperienced driver.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GSDog » Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Hi all.

I'm 20 years old and I passed my driving test just 6 weeks ago. I've barely stepped out of the car since then and I really enjoy driving. I know that I'm at risk, being a young and inexperienced male driver, and I have decided that I'd like to improve my skills further as I know that the standard driving test is pretty basic at best.

My instructor offered the pass plus but he actually said he didn't think it was necessary and advised me to get various insurance quotes to see what difference it would make. It made no or very little difference to my insurance quotes, and because I was not applicable to funding from the council I decided not to do it.

I'd like to know what you would recommend I do to improve my driving skills.
I should also add that I'd like to join the police within the next few years which is another good reason for me to improve my skills further.

I've also got a question about driving positions. My feet sometimes get very tired and I get pains in the top of my foot from using and resting on the pedals. Is there anything I can do to help with this?
Most of my driving is through countryside and city/town so I don't often get the opportunity to use the foot rests. I also like to have my feet ready to react on the pedals and don't feel very safe using them.

Any advice would be appreciated.
GSDog

Postby roadarob » Thu May 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi GSDog,

Congratulations on passing your 'L' test, you have a number of options for Advanced Driver Training, you have either the IAM or RoADAR (RoSPA).

The IAM offer a skill for life package at £139.00 for the course, you will be given observed drives by a local group, towards their test, grades pass or fail, this is a once only test.
RoADAR offer a similar package, although costs vary slightly from group to group, the cost is usually just above 1/2 of the IAM, in my group it would be £78.00, the test has to be re-taken every three years to retain membership, subsequent test fees are built into an annual membership fee of approx £20.00, grades awarded at test are Gold, Silver, Bronze or fail.
The RoADAR test is regarded as the highest civilian driving qualification obtainable.

The IAM is larger than RoSPA, it may depend on your location as to which organisation is nearest to you.

Where abouts are you?

With regard to your feet, you say that you have barely been out of the car, that may be the problem, you should find that the pain will disappear sooner or later, you could try scrunching your feet up when stationary.
Approved & Advanced Tutor - East Midlands Group - RoADAR

RoADAR member since 1985

Website http://www.eastmidrospa.co.uk

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Midl ... 9402921824
roadarob

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri May 28, 2010 6:52 am

If your driving instructor isn't committed to Pass Plus then don't bother with it (at least not with him).

I would recommend IAM or RoSPA over Pass Plus anyday. IAM and RoSPA offer a much more consistent standard than Pass Plus which depends much more on the individual instructor and what level they have taken their driving to.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Fri May 28, 2010 8:12 am

GSDog wrote:I've also got a question about driving positions. My feet sometimes get very tired and I get pains in the top of my foot from using and resting on the pedals. Is there anything I can do to help with this?
Most of my driving is through countryside and city/town so I don't often get the opportunity to use the foot rests. I also like to have my feet ready to react on the pedals and don't feel very safe using them.

Is your heel on the floor all the time when you drive ???

Those that lift their heel off the floor to operate pedals often have your problem

Knowing you location may get you some early help from a member near you :idea:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Flexibase » Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Ref. your wish to become a police officer, advice from a retired one - go for an Advanced driving course with IAM or RoADA - they both use the police system of driving. It will be an excellent addition to your CV!
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby mitchr » Fri May 28, 2010 3:10 pm

GSDog wrote:Hi all.

I'm 20 years old and I passed my driving test just 6 weeks ago. I've barely stepped out of the car since then and I really enjoy driving. I know that I'm at risk, being a young and inexperienced male driver, and I have decided that I'd like to improve my skills further as I know that the standard driving test is pretty basic at best.

I've also got a question about driving positions. My feet sometimes get very tired and I get pains in the top of my foot from using and resting on the pedals. Is there anything I can do to help with this?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi GSDog, well done on passing your driving test. The freedom is great isn't it - I passed my test 7 months ago and I still love the new freedom its given me. Its probably worth checking that your seat isn't too far forward as that seems to have been what caused me to have sore feet and knees at first.

Sounds like you have your head well and truely screwed on so you are probably less of a risk than some 20yo's who pass there test and then think they know everything. I did my pass plus just after passing my test and it did help me build confidence and I did learn a couple of things but I'd say it probably wasn't worth the money I paid. I'm now doing my advanced driving course with IAM and find that much more useful.

Mitch
mitchr

Postby martine » Fri May 28, 2010 4:43 pm

Well done that man...many congrats. :D ...and welcome to ADUK. :!:

I have to agree with others who have complimented you on your mature attitude...you are already at lower risk than many young drivers who consider themselves god's gift to driving. :roll:

IAM and ROSPA are very similar in standards and methods and it really comes down to which local group is more convenient and which is better organised/more welcoming. Take a look at their respective websites for contact details...links here...

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/advanced-driving-lessons/

I'd suggest not getting hung up by the cost...both ROSPA and IAM are an absolute bargain (because they are charities run by volunteers)...even £139 is only 2/3 tanks of fuel or a few month's insurance for a young driver, after all.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby GSDog » Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments, I didn't expect to see this many replies.
Both IAM and RoADAR sound very good and they're just what I'm looking for. I probably won't apply for a couple of months at least because I did only just pass my 'L' test 6 weeks ago. However, it's good to look at my options now and prepare for it.
I've been reading posts on this forum and watching some videos on youtube showing some of the techniques used and I am already starting to put them into practice on the road.
I've also ordered the 'Roadcraft' book today on Amazon which I look forward to reading.

roadarob wrote:Where abouts are you?

I'm in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

ROG wrote:Is your heel on the floor all the time when you drive ???

Those that lift their heel off the floor to operate pedals often have your problem

I think so. It sounds stupid but I can't remember, I'll have to check when I'm next in the car. I might be lifting my heel slightly when moving from the accelerator to brake pedal.
I think it could also be because my foot is always in an upright position when they're on the pedals and they're not used to it. Hopefully it's just because I've been driving so much and it'll go away.

mitchr wrote:Hi GSDog, well done on passing your driving test. The freedom is great isn't it - I passed my test 7 months ago and I still love the new freedom its given me. Its probably worth checking that your seat isn't too far forward as that seems to have been what caused me to have sore feet and knees at first.

Thanks, and yes, the freedom is great! 8)
I have been playing around with the seat distance and height, etc. and I think it is in the perfect position now. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.

martine wrote:Well done that man...many congrats. :D ...and welcome to ADUK. :!:

I have to agree with others who have complimented you on your mature attitude...you are already at lower risk than many young drivers who consider themselves god's gift to driving. :roll:

IAM and ROSPA are very similar in standards and methods and it really comes down to which local group is more convenient and which is better organised/more welcoming. Take a look at their respective websites for contact details...links here...

http://www.advanced-driving.co.uk/advanced-driving-lessons/

I'd suggest not getting hung up by the cost...both ROSPA and IAM are an absolute bargain (because they are charities run by volunteers)...even £139 is only 2/3 tanks of fuel or a few month's insurance for a young driver, after all.

Thanks. :)

I'm not worried about the cost as I know that it's money very well spent and will be going to a good cause. I'll try and locate my local groups.
GSDog

Postby ROG » Sat May 29, 2010 8:34 am

Is your heel on the floor all the time when you drive ???

I might be lifting my heel slightly when moving from the accelerator to brake pedal.

That is not a problem if for the rest of the time the heel is on the floor
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Return to General Car Chat Forum