Third party insurance for cyclists?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sat May 29, 2010 10:43 am

Should cyclists pay third party insurance?

The reason I ask, is that yesterday when I arrived at a pupils house for a lesson, I noticed his brothers car had two deep gouges and a dent in the front wing. The windscreen was also covered with plastic sheeting, as it was broken. Upon enquiring what Gilly (Giles) had done to his car.

It transpired that the car was parked in the lay-by outside the house when it was damaged by a cyclist who was looking down at her chain and fell off her bicycle causing the afore mentioned damage to the car. The cyclist was taken to hospital, but sustained only minor injuries and was released after a check over.

The cyclist and her husband refuse to contribute towards the repair to the car, which leaves Giles out of pocket through no fault of his own. Is it not time for cyclists to have third party insurance. I can't imagine the cost would be axactly prohibitive.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat May 29, 2010 11:39 am

Talk to a solicitor and send them a letter. It may transpire that house insurance may contribute to such events.

Cyclists that belong to organisations such as the CTC have 3rd party insurance included in their membership which can be upgraded to fully comp. Halfords have leaflets on cycle insurance too.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jont » Sat May 29, 2010 11:59 am

fungus wrote:Is it not time for cyclists to have third party insurance. I can't imagine the cost would be axactly prohibitive.

It would be nice for them to have insurance, but when the government are trying to encourage people to cycle, putting barriers in the way isn't helpful. It's also pointless having more laws without enforcement, and considering the number of uninsured drivers around and that cyclists are even less readily identifiable than cars, it's going to be unworkable in practice.
jont

Postby gannet » Sat May 29, 2010 1:37 pm

fungus wrote:Should cyclists pay third party insurance?

The reason I ask, is that yesterday when I arrived at a pupils house for a lesson, I noticed his brothers car had two deep gouges and a dent in the front wing. The windscreen was also covered with plastic sheeting, as it was broken. Upon enquiring what Gilly (Giles) had done to his car.

It transpired that the car was parked in the lay-by outside the house when it was damaged by a cyclist who was looking down at her chain and fell off her bicycle causing the afore mentioned damage to the car. The cyclist was taken to hospital, but sustained only minor injuries and was released after a check over.

The cyclist and her husband refuse to contribute towards the repair to the car, which leaves Giles out of pocket through no fault of his own. Is it not time for cyclists to have third party insurance. I can't imagine the cost would be axactly prohibitive.

that sounds like a quite alot of damage for what sounds like a small accident :o I mean you wouldn't be looking down at your chain and going fast - well I wouldnt be.

When I was fifteen I came of my bike because I was looking down - hit the back of a Fiat Panda (remember them small boxes...). Hard enough to set the cars' alarm off (yeah I know :roll: ) and to knock two of my teeth clean out and crack the root of a third. There was NO damage to the car. If there had have been though I'm sure I/my parents would have had it seen to.

I wouldn't be against cyclist insurance myself, though as has been mentioned policing it would be a nightmare. How many cyclists do you see jumping red lights and breaking all sorts of other road rules simply because they know they can get away with it. No registration plates mean no definitive way of identification :(
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby martine » Sat May 29, 2010 8:03 pm

I would have thought the cyclist can be sued in court - speak to a solicitor...sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Yes I think cyclists should have insurance but how? And how would it be enforced?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sat May 29, 2010 8:44 pm

martine wrote:I would have thought the cyclist can be sued in court - speak to a solicitor...sounds pretty clear cut to me.

Yes I think cyclists should have insurance but how? And how would it be enforced?

I think that court action would probably involve too much cost given the relatively low value of the car, a 13 year old Renault Megane Coupe.

As far as insurance is concerned. Could the insurer not issue a plastic card, like a small number plate, with part of the policy number, and expiry date printed on it. This could be displayed in a light weight holder on the bicycle.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Sat May 29, 2010 9:15 pm

fungus wrote:...This could be displayed in a light weight holder on the bicycle.

Might be difficult to make it theft proof.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby gannet » Sat May 29, 2010 9:18 pm

martine wrote:
fungus wrote:...This could be displayed in a light weight holder on the bicycle.

Might be difficult to make it theft proof.

not to mention most bikes don't have many (if any) flat surfaces to stick a card/disc too.
-- Gannet.
Membership Secretary, East Surrey Group of Advanced Motorists
Driving: Citroen DS3 DSport 1.6THP / MINI Cooper Coupe :D
Riding: Airnimal Joey Sport... (helps with the commute into London during the week!)
ImageImage
gannet

Postby GJD » Sun May 30, 2010 12:11 pm

fungus wrote:Is it not time for cyclists to have third party insurance. I can't imagine the cost would be axactly prohibitive.

Prohibitve or otherwise, why should I pay part of the cost of repairing your pupil's brother's car (plus a bit of profit for the insurance industry)? I didn't damage it.

I don't think, "because car drivers are legally required to do similar" is a sufficient answer.
GJD

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun May 30, 2010 12:19 pm

GJD wrote:

Prohibitve or otherwise, why should I pay part of the cost of repairing your pupil's brother's car (plus a bit of profit for the insurance industry)? I didn't damage it.

I don't think, "because car drivers are legally required to do similar" is a sufficient answer.

On that note then, why should anyone take out any insurance at all?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby MGF » Sun May 30, 2010 1:46 pm

adiNigel wrote:
GJD wrote:

Nigel

... and bearing in mind there isn't a relationship between road safety and having insurance I am surprised by how upset people get because people are not insured when they drive. It seems to me to be purely about economics.

It wont cost much to start small claims proceedings against the cyclist and if the facts are reasonably clear there is not much risk other than the risk associated with recovery. If the cyclist is of some means (works/owns property) then it should be fairly straight forward.
MGF

Postby jont » Sun May 30, 2010 2:48 pm

MGF wrote:... and bearing in mind there isn't a relationship between road safety and having insurance...

Really? I thought stats showed drivers who didn't take out insurance were also more likely to commit other offences (eg unlicensed, unroadworthy vehicle etc) and be involved in more incidents, hence police cracking down on them. I think lack of insurance certainly shows a crap attitude towards driving and those whose lives you may damage if anything does go wrong.
jont

Postby GJD » Sun May 30, 2010 4:22 pm

adiNigel wrote:
GJD wrote:Prohibitve or otherwise, why should I pay part of the cost of repairing your pupil's brother's car (plus a bit of profit for the insurance industry)? I didn't damage it.

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I buy insurance when I don't want to cover a risk myself.

To rephrase: "why should I be obliged to pay part of the cost..."

If I decide that I don't want to bear the cost myself of any damage or loss that I'm liable for when cycling, I might choose to buy a suitable insurance policy.
GJD

Postby hanse cronje » Sun May 30, 2010 8:21 pm

she may be covered under a household policy liability section
a few well worded letters usually focuses the mind or online small claims court form

google small claims or via courts web site
hanse cronje

Postby michael769 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:03 am

hanse cronje wrote:she may be covered under a household policy liability section
a few well worded letters usually focuses the mind or online small claims court form

google small claims or via courts web site

You (she)can raise a small claim at Nottingham County Court (They cover all of E&W for online claims) online via:

Money Claim Online

But it is worth her speaking to her insurers first. If there is enough evidence they will normally seek to recover their outlays (and your Excess if you have uninsured loss recovery on the policy). If they successfully recover their outlays the NCD is restored.

The biggest problem is not successfully suing someone but in getting the money awarded by the court out of them. If they do not have the money (or assets) to pay, it's pretty hard to get blood out of a stone. But as others mentioned their household insurance may cover them under it's public liability cover. Starting a claim will usually prompt them to contact their insurers for assistance, and the insurer may decide to pay out to avoid the cost and effort of defending the matter in court.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum