Should I have reported these to the police?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat May 29, 2010 8:29 pm

By some strange worm-hole in the time/space continuum (just watched Dr. Who)...both yesterday and today I witnessed two relatively minor transgressions of road safety that had me cringing hoping I wasn't going to witness something horrible.

My question is: should I have reported either of the following to the police and if I had, would they have really done anything about it?

1) kids playing on the main road near me - using skateboards to across the road and back repeatedly (fairly busy road at the crest of a hill with restricted view). I slowed loads as they really weren't paying attention and one subsequently nearly came out onto the road right in front of me.

2) biker pulled out in front of me (safely) and I noticed he wasn't wearing a crash helmet but was wearing a scarf across his nose/mouth(!) and looked very young...started off at 30 or so (speed limit) then after glances back at me accelerated to may be 45/50 and proceeded to overtake parked cars round a blind corner on the wrong side of the road :evil: (I almost felt sick at this point just watching and hoping nothing was coming the wrong way).

And if had decided to report them should I use 999?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby fungus » Sat May 29, 2010 8:51 pm

martine wrote:By some strange worm-hole in the time/space continuum (just watched Dr. Who)...both yesterday and today I witnessed two relatively minor transgressions of road safety that had me cringing hoping I wasn't going to witness something horrible.

My question is: should I have reported either of the following to the police and if I had, would they have really done anything about it?

1) kids playing on the main road near me - using skateboards to across the road and back repeatedly (fairly busy road at the crest of a hill with restricted view). I slowed loads as they really weren't paying attention and one subsequently nearly came out onto the road right in front of me.

2) biker pulled out in front of me (safely) and I noticed he wasn't wearing a crash helmet but was wearing a scarf across his nose/mouth(!) and looked very young...started off at 30 or so (speed limit) then after glances back at me accelerated to may be 45/50 and proceeded to overtake parked cars round a blind corner on the wrong side of the road :evil: (I almost felt sick at this point just watching and hoping nothing was coming the wrong way).

And if had decided to report them should I use 999?

Whether or not the Police would have done anything about the incidents I don't know.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Oops, clicked the wrong button. Just to add that I would think that phoning 112 would probably be more appropriate in the circumstances.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Sat May 29, 2010 9:12 pm

fungus wrote:Oops, clicked the wrong button. Just to add that I would think that phoning 112 would probably be more appropriate in the circumstances.

Doesn't 112 just go the same route as 999?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat May 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Yes, 112 is the same as 999. Until SNEN (or its replacement) gets underway there is only one national number to call the Police on and that's 999 (or 112).

You should definitely report the kid on the bike as an offence is taking place. The first one is potentially even more worrying but I doubt there is any offence so they may be less interested.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby kfae8959 » Sat May 29, 2010 9:48 pm

In the US, one can report non-emergencies on 311. Have we got an equivalent here, or is it just the number for the local police force?

The road I live on has been closed for the last eleven months while works were under way to a major road that passes over it. The closure was actually just a large mound of soil, and the road was still usable either side of the obstruction. Recently a group of local men took to using the closed section of road to enjoy their trail bikes, without helmets or appropriate clothing, and when it became a daily occurrence I did let the police know, because I was concerned for their safety rather than because I was put out by the offence they were committing.

Would there have been an opportunity for the police to see either situation for themselves and engage in some educational work?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 pm

kfae8959 wrote:In the US, one can report non-emergencies on 311. Have we got an equivalent here, or is it just the number for the local police force?

Not sure how widespread it is throughout the UK, but in Hants we have 101. Used it a couple of times and the response is usually pretty good :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat May 29, 2010 11:06 pm

Unfortunately the SNEN (101) project has come to a bit of a standstill although there are moves to revive it. Chris is one of the lucky ones who has a local scheme.

More info here

This is a great shame as it's a very necessary and long overdue facility.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Gareth » Sun May 30, 2010 11:38 am

kfae8959 wrote:without helmets or appropriate clothing

Eeek! Dangerous cycling!

It's just as well we didn't have the current namby-pamby attitudes towards safety when I was a lad as I'd never have gone cycling if we had. More to the point, there's a body of opinion that helmets aren't necessarily such a good idea for cycling, although it makes somewhat more sense if there is a high probability of striking one's head on low branches.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jont » Sun May 30, 2010 11:42 am

Gareth wrote:

Eeek! Dangerous cycling!

Hmm, my interpretation of "trail bikes" was off-road motorcycles rather than the pedal powered variety.
jont

Postby MGF » Sun May 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:You should definitely report the kid on the bike as an offence is taking place.

If you are traveling at the speed limit and someone overtakes you an offence is taking place. Should you report that?

If we were to report every motoring offence we witnessed to the Police would they have the resources to follow them up? I would not report anything unless there was a serious and imminent risk of death or serious injury. And I would use 999 in those circumstances. Alternatively if the behaviour is anti-social and likely to recur then it might be worth reporting to the Police on the normal number.
MGF

Postby kfae8959 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:25 pm

jont wrote:
Gareth wrote:

Eeek! Dangerous cycling!

Hmm, my interpretation of "trail bikes" was off-road motorcycles rather than the pedal powered variety.

I'm sorry - I didn't realise the term was ambiguous when I typed it!
kfae8959

Postby Horse » Sun May 30, 2010 3:18 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Yes, 112 is the same as 999. Until SNEN (or its replacement) gets underway there is only one national number to call the Police on and that's 999 (or 112).

You should definitely report the kid on the bike as an offence is taking place. The first one is potentially even more worrying but I doubt there is any offence so they may be less interested.

With the way cut-backs are coming in public finance, I doubt any new national initiatives will occur. Thames Valley police were quoted on the news last week saying that there will be redundancies . . .

However, they do have a non-emergency number, and I'm sure other forces do to. I've used TVP's a couple of times (eg water leaking across a steep downhill as temperatures were plummeting - it turned out to be sewer mains rather than water mains . . . :shock: ).

But as for reporting someone riding dangerously without a lid? What's the chances of getting somewhere safe to stop in time to make the call, and even then the kid will be long gone before a car could get to the area.

However, if it's your home area, then reporting via neighbourhood watch could be worthwhile, especially if a regular occurance.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby morsing » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:57 am

I know I drive a lot but I see worse than that several times a day. Ringing 112 five timies a day would probably get me in trouble more than the trouble makers...
morsing

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:26 pm

There's a postscript to my little vignette - the cross country motorcyclists were back enjoying their bikes again yesterday, this time with helmets and leathers. I don't know if that's as a result of a conversation with the Fuzz, but it might just be that my call made a difference.

David
kfae8959

Return to General Car Chat Forum