Should old ladies pushing trolleys have 3rd party insurance?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AnalogueAndy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:21 pm

Sainsburys (Bath) (slopey car park) an old dear loses control of her trolley and takes a gouge out of the wing of a nice new BMW.

So should old ladies pushing shopping trolleys be required to take out third party insurance?

In fact all shoppers.

In fact is it time for a 'basic trolley test'?

Supermarkets should only issue trolleys to those who produce a license to prove they have passed the test and have insurance. :wink:
AnalogueAndy

Postby AnalogueAndy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:23 pm

Sorry, couldn't resist: :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2970
AnalogueAndy

Postby jont » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:24 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:In fact is it time for a 'basic trolley test'?

Supermarkets should only issue trolleys to those who produce a license to prove they have passed the test and have insurance. :wink:

Good idea. I'd also like to see a ban on anyone under 18 or over 60 in supermarkets at weekends unless they prove they can maintain good progress with the trolley. :mrgreen:
(I didn't realise it was April 1st)
jont

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:43 pm

Personally I think all shopping trolleys should have padding attached all round to make them more shopper friendly. I can't see this making good progress thing catching on - I thought the idea was to slow everyone down. There is too much chaos in supermarkets so I think lights at every intersection are required to bring more order into the supermarket world. Er... where am I?
Brian Haddon (I think)
brianhaddon

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Lights are so last year! Roundabouts are what we need ... :mrgreen:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:02 pm

I once worked in a supermarket and something which really annoyed me was the disorganised fashion in which shoppers cruise leaving no opportunities for advanced shoppers to overtake.

I would have liked to have had the shop floor marked with over taking lanes, one way systems on all aisles, clear priority systems, electric shock system for lane straddlers, hand baskets only enforcement cameras and minimum speed limits. :wink:
Then again I might have just put Morrisons out of business once the punters were too terrified to enter the store. :twisted:

I noticed that Aldi have trolley bays marked at the end of their checkouts, but also I have noticed that not many shoppers obey them, 3 points and £60 might be the answer. :P
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby ROG » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:08 am

This thread definitely has good advice but should it be extended to prams/pushchairs - IPSGA

Individual
Pram/Pushchair
Shoppers
Good
Advice
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GJD » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:25 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Lights are so last year! Roundabouts are what we need ... :mrgreen:

The level of congestion is beyond what lights or roundabouts can manage. The only solution set of measures designed to make trolley use less attractive for individual shoppers. All trolleys should be fitted with those locks that need a pound coin to release. If you insist on shopping at peak times, you don't get your pound back back. And supermarkets should set out dedicated aisles for basket users and the Big Unified Super-trolley, a large, communal shopping trolley that visits every department and can take the shopping of fifty people (if it's rammed in uncomfortably tight). The B.U.S. will run 24 hours a day, even though there are only 2 half hour periods when fifty people want to go shopping, and even if you just need a tin of beans, you'll have to wait 20 minutes for the B.U.S. and it will drag you all around fresh fruit and veg, dairy products and the seasonal goods aisle first.
Last edited by GJD on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJD

Postby slippeddisc » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:21 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:Sainsburys (Bath) (slopey car park) an old dear loses control of her trolley and takes a gouge out of the wing of a nice new BMW.

So what happened next?
slippeddisc

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:49 pm

slippeddisc wrote:
AnalogueAndy wrote:Sainsburys (Bath) (slopey car park) an old dear loses control of her trolley and takes a gouge out of the wing of a nice new BMW.

So what happened next?

The old lady said she was sorry and admitted liability. It was an accident, she wasn't being reckless, she didn't set out to deliberately damage the beemer.

That's not how the nasty, officious oaf of an owner who rushed to the scene saw it though. He starting ranting and raving, swearing and shouting. Rather than put it down to 'one of those things' he demanded she should pay. Upon hearing the terrible news that she did indeed not have third party insurance he demanded the supermarket should pay and summoned the manager. When he explained that owners parked their cars at their own risk, Beemer driver had a go at him too wagging his finger in his face, calling him a moron and worse, demanding that the police be called.

The police duly arrived. The (by now upset and clearly shaken) old lady should be charged with "criminal damaged" Mr Beemer demanded.

Plenty of witnesses saw the incident. And Mr Beemers response. After 'words of advice' failed to calm the situation the police were indeed forced to make an arrest.

They nicked Mr Beemer for breach of the peace :P

His insurers paid for the damage to be repaired.

(Hypothetically of course :wink: )
AnalogueAndy

Postby fungus » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 pm

Does this mean that I could be arrested for trolly rage and banned from the supermarket for life? (He hopes) :D
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby slippeddisc » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:27 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:
slippeddisc wrote:

So what happened next?

The old lady said she was sorry and admitted liability. It was an accident, she wasn't being reckless, she didn't set out to deliberately damage the beemer.

That's not how the nasty, officious oaf of an owner who rushed to the scene saw it though. He starting ranting and raving, swearing and shouting. Rather than put it down to 'one of those things' he demanded she should pay. Upon hearing the terrible news that she did indeed not have third party insurance he demanded the supermarket should pay and summoned the manager. When he explained that owners parked their cars at their own risk, Beemer driver had a go at him too wagging his finger in his face, calling him a moron and worse, demanding that the police be called.

The police duly arrived. The (by now upset and clearly shaken) old lady should be charged with "criminal damaged" Mr Beemer demanded.

Plenty of witnesses saw the incident. And Mr Beemers response. After 'words of advice' failed to calm the situation the police were indeed forced to make an arrest.

They nicked Mr Beemer for breach of the peace :P

His insurers paid for the damage to be repaired.

(Hypothetically of course :wink: )

Booo! Don't like.
slippeddisc

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:13 pm

Its been a while since ive been on here and this thread has made me laugh...especially this bit

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:3 points and £60 might be the answer
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Return to General Car Chat Forum