Driving is an art?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:44 am

Q1. "Driving is an art in which those who are engaged should, in the interest of their own and of the public's safety; take the greatest of pains to make them proficient." - Leslie Hore-Belisha, March 1935 on the introduction of the driving test.

Discuss with particular reference to current thinking - 10 marks - show working.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Standard Dave » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:05 pm

Like so many words of wisdom and sound advice from the past this has been forgotten in the pursuit of measurable targets and the interests of the individual.

Current thinking appears to be drop everything to the lowest common denominator, this is demonstrated by the ever falling speed limits and over simplified approach to road safety with the fatal four "axis of evil" campaign.

Like any art or skill where there is no definitave "right" answer then many people are capable of a level of proficiency but few will ever master the art.
Standard Dave

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:56 pm

If driving is an art, is it an art that can be taught, and how important is natural talent?
Custom24

Postby 7db » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Is it art or design? Does it have a function or is it decorative?
7db

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:17 pm

To continue the questions, are the two mutually exclusive?
Custom24

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:29 pm

martine wrote:Discuss with particular reference to current thinking

When I use the playing of musical instruments as an analogy I think of artistry as being a particularly accomplished demonstration of the form although, and importantly, going beyond a mechanical interpretation and having a significant component that strikes a positive emotional response in the observer.

Because of this I don't see much meaning in your question.

To expand slightly ...

Artistry would also include a high degree of skill, so since current thinking in driving tuition is most usually applied to getting learners from the point where they have no experience of driving to the point where they are deemed just about safe enough to drive unsupervised, then artistry doesn't play much a part in what they actually do. It may be a factor that inspires them to go beyond the basics, but I suspect that this only applies to a vanishingly small proportion of the driving population.

Some people get enjoyment from doing something well, and while artistry in driving may inspire them to achieve a greater level of skill, most won't want to devote a large portion of their time to go beyond competent. After all, for most drivers, driving is wholly or mainly a means to an end leaving the fanatical few who strive for more.

A completely separate issue is popularity. An artist can do what they do for their own satisfaction. They don't necessarily need an audience, and so serving as inspiration for others may only happen by accident. If we are thinking that there should be more to inspire driving artistry in popular culture, where is that 'more' going to come from?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Gareth wrote:When I use the playing of musical instruments as an analogy I think of artistry as being a particularly accomplished demonstration of the form although, and importantly, going beyond a mechanical interpretation and having a significant component that strikes a positive emotional response in the observer.

I've encountered the analogy between musicianship and driving as art forms before, and as a musician I'm not convinced of the usefulness, extent or applicability of the analogy, although I don't deny that both are art forms.

For example, a positive emotional response in the observer when listening to music is a mixture of a response to the music itself (I would say mostly this) and the performance. If we look for analogies with driving, do we say the music itself is the road and the car, and the performance is down to the driver?
Custom24

Postby Gareth » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Custom24 wrote:For example, a positive emotional response in the observer when listening to music is a mixture of a response to the music itself (I would say mostly this) and the performance.

I think you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Imagine listening to a group of musicians, and each of them separately playing a piece you know well and like. Then consider the artistry that each exhibits. Some will be better than others, and yet you may assess others as being of equal quality and yet their playing has a quality that is somehow different.

Custom24 wrote:If we look for analogies with driving, do we say the music itself is the road and the car, and the performance is down to the driver?

Looking at driving from that angle it's perhaps more complex. For the musicians the score and the instruments may be identical but no two drivers follow the same path down the road. Stringing the sequences together is where the artistry lies, taking into account all the various considerations, applying skill, and doing it in their own, unique, way.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Horse » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:51 am

7db wrote:Is it art or design? Does it have a function or is it decorative?

And if a function, what function? Because that determines your patterns and templates (or 'role models' if you like).

Currently AD focuses closely on the 'police' template - and it has to be asked whether that is actually suitable for the needs - the functions? - of most UK drivers.

After all, most (at least 'many') drivers - hopefully - just want to arrive at their destination. For many driving is not an art, they are simply appliance operators. Some travel hopefully . . . So, with that in mind, what is the priority?

Perhaps, bearing in mind that many of those day-to-day journeys are necessity rather than pleasure and will just involve moving family or friends from one location to another, the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:15 am

Horse wrote:Perhaps, bearing in mind that many of those day-to-day journeys are necessity rather than pleasure and will just involve moving family or friends from one location to another, the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

So why, I ask, does it seem to be that to many the role model is the racing driver?
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Horse » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:46 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
Horse wrote:Perhaps, bearing in mind that many of those day-to-day journeys are necessity rather than pleasure and will just involve moving family or friends from one location to another, the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

So why, I ask, does it seem to be that to many the role model is the racing driver?

Glamour, thrills, etc. whether real or perceived.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6240288.stm

It's a needs vs wants situation, which also has implications for the 'young drivers' thread currently active on the boards.

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvC6RryUn0Y
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby redrobo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 pm

Horse wrote:
7db wrote: the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

And the role model for most chauffeurs would be... The police response driver.

I think you know that Roadcraft is for Police drivers, very few of whom ever get to be response drivers.

Not getting into the blue or red corners on this one though :D
redrobo

Postby quintaton » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:00 am

Art?

What is the meaning of the word?

It actually means nothing more or less than "skilled," hence the word artesan.

I'm sure there's more to it than that! :?

Q
quintaton

Postby vonhosen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:41 am

redrobo wrote:
Horse wrote:
7db wrote: the role model should be the chauffer, not the police response driver?

And the role model for most chauffeurs would be... The police response driver.

It is ?
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby 7db » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:15 am

quintaton wrote:Art?

What is the meaning of the word?

Made.
7db

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum