More "Dangerous" roads

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:44 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10454356.stm

Why can't they get it into their heads it's not the roads that are the problem, it's the drivers (or more likely in Derbyshire the riders) :x No mention anywhere in the article about improving driver standards :(
jont

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:13 am

Interestingly, or not, there is no sign of the report on the Road Safety Foundation website!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Gareth » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:29 am

jont wrote:No mention anywhere in the article about improving driver standards

They seem to be following in the footsteps of Leeming - attempting to understand the real reasons for multiple drivers making similar misjudgements at certain locations, and then to propose good engineering solutions.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby exportmanuk » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:43 pm

My local IAM motorcycle group use the Cat and Fiddle quite regularly as part of the observed runs.

The road is normally not dangerous ( I qualify that as the last time I rode it they had removed half the surface and it was not a pleasant expreience :shock: ) The main risk is from drivers and riders misscalculating bends. ( No supprise there)

I have had several incidents with cars cutting right hand bends at speed, and crossing into my side of the carraige way and there were considerably more sporty looking cars on the road than bikes the last time I was there.

Whilst there are a minority of bikers who are reckless I would say that majority may be fast but are safe. As a biker it you who gets hurt first, that tends to make you think, drivers sat in their steel cage with all the driver aids making them feel secure no matter what they do.
exportmanuk

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:16 pm

What a load of old tosh these 'Safety' people spout. :roll:

Interestingly, the Cat & Fiddle road now has a 50mph limit and average speed cameras (backward facing to catch motorbikes). All of which is fine, but to be honest, the places where a car can get above 50mph are not the dangerous bits. It's needs a better way of signing the severity of bends. The A54 is the same.

I love both these roads in a car. Great technical driving roads.

Even more interestingly, both these roads form parts of my proposed ADUK driving day routes :D

If you're all brave enough to drive on them, that is. :twisted:
Gromit37

Postby fungus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:11 pm

When I was staying on the Staffs/Derbyshire border last year I drove the Cat & Fiddle road and the A54. I had no problem with either, and I thought how lucky you are in that area to be blessed with such good driving roads, something we are not blessed with to any great extent down here in Dorset. I did notice however the number of rural roads that were subject to a 50mph limit. :cry:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby martine » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:01 pm

IAM press release today:

Give drivers the skills to tackle Britain’s most dangerous roads, says IAM
The IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists) today welcomed the publication of new crash risk tables for Britain’s
roads, part of the Road Safety Foundation annual survey.
Neil Greig, IAM Director of Policy and Research said: “Information on high-risk locations will help any driver
stay safe on our most dangerous roads. Saving as many lives as possible within potentially limited budgets is
going to become very important in the next few years, and the IAM supports using this information to target
investment where it will bring most benefit.
“While the IAM supports continued investment in the roads with the highest risk, the long-term answer still lies
in driver improvement. The first step should be to equip young drivers with experience of rural ‘A’ roads by
including these in the driving test. Government support of a lifelong learning driver culture would make
motorists better able to cope with dangerous roads.”
Mr Greig added: “By being alert, processing the environmental information around you, recognising the
hazards and taking safe driving seriously, anybody can handle even the most dangerous of Britain’s roads.”
ENDS
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Gromit37 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 pm

fungus wrote:When I was staying on the Staffs/Derbyshire border last year I drove the Cat & Fiddle road and the A54. I had no problem with either, and I thought how lucky you are in that area to be blessed with such good driving roads, something we are not blessed with to any great extent down here in Dorset. I did notice however the number of rural roads that were subject to a 50mph limit. :cry:

It seems that our road safety experts think 50mph is the maximum speed at which us ordinary mortals can travel. They fail to realise that many of those that crash are the ones ignoring speed limits, road markings and not concentrating at any speed. So the problem will remain.

Yet, there are twisty, undulating, unclassified and single track roads, often used by ramblers and full of sheep that remain NSL. :!:
Gromit37

Postby michael769 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:27 am

martine wrote:IAM press release today:

[size=150]
Mr Greig added: “By being alert, processing the environmental information around you, recognising the
hazards and taking safe driving seriously, anybody can handle even the most dangerous of Britain’s roads.”
ENDS

That's a bit of a change in tack. Has Mr Grieg been replaced by a doppelganger?
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby martine » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:29 pm

michael769 wrote:
martine wrote:IAM press release today:

[size=150]
ENDS

That's a bit of a change in tack. Has Mr Grieg been replaced by a doppelganger?

Yes...it's good isn't it? I've noticed recently some IAM press releases are actually quite good and spouting the message I support...then they go take a step back by releasing yet another 'roof racks increase fuel consumption' line or such like :roll:

Perhaps there's hope...
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Russ_H » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:01 pm

I drove the Cat & Fiddle road yesterday. It was the first time I had been there.

I wouldn't describe myself as an especially fast driver on twisty roads, but
I was deeply frustated by the painfully slow progress being made by two drivers
ahead of me. Slow on approach to bends, then braking all the way around them,
and so on. I managed to overtake one, but not the other. I'd like to go back, but
preferably not at a weekend.

There was a mobile speed camera, but it was on a straight bit.

Good views, though.

Regards,

Russ
Russ_H

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Russ_H wrote:I drove the Cat & Fiddle road yesterday. It was the first time I had been there.

I wouldn't describe myself as an especially fast driver on twisty roads, but I was deeply frustated by the painfully slow progress being made by two drivers ahead of me. Slow on approach to bends, then braking all the way around them,
and so on. I managed to overtake one, but not the other. I'd like to go back, but preferably not at a weekend.

Good job you were not on a motorcycle, :roll: as I'm sure it would have been reckless of you to pass the slow moving vehicles :wink:
exportmanuk

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 pm

Gromit37 wrote:What a load of old tosh these 'Safety' people spout. :roll:

Interestingly, the Cat & Fiddle road now has a 50mph limit and average speed cameras (backward facing to catch motorbikes). All of which is fine....

No it isn't, er, I would venture to suggest, but with a bit of luck the current government will get away from this nonsense. Incidentally i'm also looking forward to them withdrawing charitable status from that bunch of idiots at Brake. That's long overdue.

FWIW, I don't particularly like the A537, but my sympathies lie with those who do enjoy it. More power to their collective elbows. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Custom24 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:06 pm

TripleS wrote:...the current government... Incidentally i'm also looking forward to them withdrawing charitable status from that bunch of idiots at Brake. That's long overdue.

I've seen this idea that Brake do not deserve the status of a charity expressed on here before, by both yourself and others.

I personally have little time for Brake's "Vision Zero",
http://www.brake.org.uk/target-zero

However, calling for their charity status to be removed? Under what basis? Simply because they are a lobbying group (lobbying does not preclude charity status), or because you don't agree with them?
Custom24

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:27 pm

Custom24 wrote:
TripleS wrote:...the current government... Incidentally i'm also looking forward to them withdrawing charitable status from that bunch of idiots at Brake. That's long overdue.

I've seen this idea that Brake do not deserve the status of a charity expressed on here before, by both yourself and others.

I personally have little time for Brake's "Vision Zero",
http://www.brake.org.uk/target-zero

However, calling for their charity status to be removed? Under what basis? Simply because they are a lobbying group (lobbying does not preclude charity status), or because you don't agree with them?

Is "Vision Zero" a srious attempt to put forward credible transport policies, or are Brake having a laugh. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum