Speed Awareness Courses

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Terry Williams » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:59 pm

If one takes a speed awareness course in lieu of a fixed penalty and points, is this the end of the matter or are the points held in suspension for three years being activated and added to any further FPN in that period.
TJW
Terry Williams

Postby dmp » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:19 pm

As far as I know that's the end of it, but if you commit another offence within three years then you have to take the points.
Dave
dmp

Postby Standard Dave » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:35 pm

If you take the course then it is an alternative to a E-FPN or summons.

After 6 months if they haven't taken you to court they could not add points or give you a fine for a summary traffic offence.
Standard Dave

Postby hanse cronje » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:30 pm

[quote="dmp"]As far as I know that's the end of it, but if you commit another offence within three years then you have to take the points.
Dave[/quote]

what he said with good authority that it is correct
hanse cronje

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:36 am

You pay the fine but your licence is not endorsed and you do not need to inform your insurance.

You have to attend the course and behave yourself. I know someone who attended one and a chap came armed with figures of organ donation from rtc fatalities and he argued with the people holding that if it wasnt for dangerous driving organ donations would fall massively etc he was deemed to not have particapted in the course and his licence was endorsed afterwards.

The only thing you are not eligibable for another course within 3 years where i live although I think that is from that particular camera partnership. There are also police force run awareness schemes which offered from time to time. I am led to believe they are pretty much all seperate so you if you complete a course in a different area each time you could pontentially do a course in your local area within the 3 year period.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ROG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Terry Williams wrote:If one takes a speed awareness course in lieu of a fixed penalty and points, is this the end of the matter or are the points held in suspension for three years being activated and added to any further FPN in that period.

If you are asking if, after taking the course, you commit another offence within 3 years - Do the original points get added ? - then NO
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby GS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:08 pm

jbsportstech wrote:You pay the fine but your licence is not endorsed and you do not need to inform your insurance.

I teach on these courses, both practical and theory.

You do not pay a fine. You pay for the training courses, this is not a fine.

Therefore you do not have to tell your insurance company you have paid a fine or been given points.
GS
GS

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm

GS wrote:Therefore you do not have to tell your insurance company you have paid a fine or been given points.

They usually only ask if you've had any convictions, which is odd since the FPN is in lieu of a conviction...
7db

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:49 pm

7db wrote:
GS wrote:Therefore you do not have to tell your insurance company you have paid a fine or been given points.

They usually only ask if you've had any convictions, which is odd since the FPN is in lieu of a conviction...

But an endorseable FPN counts as a conviction as far as disclosure is concerned under RoOA.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ROG » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Would the FPN actually be endorsed if the course was taken :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby MGF » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:16 pm

GS wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:You pay the fine but your licence is not endorsed and you do not need to inform your insurance.

Therefore you do not have to tell your insurance company you have paid a fine or been given points.

It may however be a "material fact" which, if not disclosed, may void one's insurance, although I believe it is unlikely to do so. Maybe Michael769 will be able to help with this?

ROG wrote:Would the FPN actually be endorsed if the course was taken :?:

No, we've just strayed off-topic a bit. Von was replying to db's general point that an endorsement following an FPN isn't, strictly speaking, a conviction. It doesn't apply to those who take 'speed awareness' courses.
MGF

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:54 pm

vonhosen wrote:But an endorseable FPN counts as a conviction as far as disclosure is concerned under RoOA.

I can see the sense of that from a rehabilitation point of view, but I can't see the declaration bit in the Act. I only scanned - do you have chapter and verse for my enlightenment? Ta
7db

Postby MGF » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:14 pm

MGF

Postby GS » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:59 pm

MGF wrote:
GS wrote:

It may however be a "material fact" which, if not disclosed, may void one's insurance, although I believe it is unlikely to do so. Maybe Michael769 will be able to help with this?

It may be many things, but that doesn't change the fact that the person has not paid a fine, has not been found guilty of an offence and has not had points placed on their licence.

If a person declines an offered course or does not complete the course they then might have to pay a fine and get points. If an insurance company asks if a person has been on a course the answer has to be yes but I'm told that some insurance companys do not necessarily look on these courses as a negative thing. After all, the person has had some further training and / or at least a reminder of the Highway Code which is more that the vast majority of drivers ever get so that can be viewed as a good thing.
GS
GS

Postby 7db » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:49 pm

@MGF Ta
7db

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum