Driving overseas - continental europe

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:02 pm

CDAWG wrote:It seems if a lot of you have been to Florida. Where have you all been in Florida? I live very close to Tallahassee, Florida. About 60 miles North of it.
Chirs

Went to Orlando in 2002 with the family and did all the usual stuff in the theme parks (brilliant). Also saw 2 basketball games (fantastic) and a Tampa baseball (interesting). Split with the family for one day and I went to the Sun 'n' Fun airshow at Lakeland (superb). Highlight for me was seeing a shuttle launch at the second attempt. We loved Florida, villa, climate, sites, people (not that we mixed with the natives much). The TV was crap (sorry CDAWG) and some things no cheaper than UK (exchange rate was not as good as it is now). We want to go back to the US but can't afford it at the moment.

CDAWG: ever been to the UK?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby CDAWG » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:59 pm

martine wrote:
CDAWG wrote:It seems if a lot of you have been to Florida. Where have you all been in Florida? I live very close to Tallahassee, Florida. About 60 miles North of it.
Chirs

Went to Orlando in 2002 with the family and did all the usual stuff in the theme parks (brilliant). Also saw 2 basketball games (fantastic) and a Tampa baseball (interesting). Split with the family for one day and I went to the Sun 'n' Fun airshow at Lakeland (superb). Highlight for me was seeing a shuttle launch at the second attempt. We loved Florida, villa, climate, sites, people (not that we mixed with the natives much). The TV was crap (sorry CDAWG) and some things no cheaper than UK (exchange rate was not as good as it is now). We want to go back to the US but can't afford it at the moment.

CDAWG: ever been to the UK?

Orlando is quite a bit further South than I live. It would take me about 5 hours to drive there. Florida has a lot of tourist, and very good roads as you say. In Georgia a lot of the roads that are poorly signed, and in desperate need of repaving. If you drive through my town you would want a car with soft suspension.

Florida drivers are quite interesting as there a lot of elderly people in Florida, and a lot of tourist you aren't going to see that much fast driving in Florida.

And no I have never made it to the UK. I would love to make it over there. I would like to tour the continent also.

Chris
CDAWG

Postby pikay1985 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:36 pm

CDAWG wrote:Probably the most confusing foreign traffic law I have heard of is the general priority laws that I known Germany has, and believe Belgium has also. How that works I have no idea.

Chris

I've been lurking around here for a while, but this comment made me register! :lol:

Actually, our priority law is not that complicated at all... it's basically "priorité à droite".

Let me explain: at all intersections that are don't have lights/signs/a police officer regulating traffic, one must give way to traffic arriving from the right (except if "the right" is a private driveway, a field/forest exit etc.)

...which hardly ever occurs outside residential areas
pikay1985

Postby kevdyas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:04 pm

I have driven in Spain when we have been on holiday the previous two years and didn't find it too difficult, the biggest difficulty for some reason was when I got home and having to come back to a RHD car!

Kevin
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby JamesH » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:53 pm

Ever wondered how best to drive in Paris?

Here's how the locals do it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8488190547
JamesH

Postby CDAWG » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:17 am

JamesH wrote:Ever wondered how best to drive in Paris?

Here's how the locals do it:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8488190547

That's crazy. He always found an escape route everytime. It was if another road magicalyl appeared if he was faced with oncoming traffic.

I have made some videos on driving. Check here for nice ride around my area. No it isn't wild.

http://media.putfile.com/round-town

http://media.putfile.com/backhome-41

Make sure size is set to "original"

Chris
CDAWG

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum