Drunk driver

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby midlife_crisis » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Whilst driving from London to Devon, as we stopped for lunch a car pulled into the car park, I spotted it in the corner of my eye, as it seemed to lurch. I looked closer and the front near side tyre was flat. On looking closer there was a tear in the sidewall and the alloy was covered in soil.

I happened to be on the phone, but my other half watched the guy stumble out of the car and stagger a bit. She called the police and reported what she had seen and the guy was picked up later in the afternoon and arrested for drunk driving. EDIT Jan: I followed the guy round the side of the petrol station where he got out his todger and peed right in front of me.

We have spent the evening celebrating our community service by drinking several bottles of wine; it seems like a fitting way to mark the occasion.
midlife_crisis

Postby martine » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:50 pm

Crikey and well done. If he was that drunk I hope he didn't cause any 3rd party damage or hurt anyone with his 'off'. Will you be called as witnesses?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby midlife_crisis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:28 am

It was indicated that he was over five times, over the limit. From the look of the car it was just a curb and verge that he had run in to, though you can't tell what chaos he had caused behind him. The police didn't indicate that anyone else had called them, so I suspect that he hadn't been caused or been involved in an accident.

The other half was asked whether she would be happy to give a witness statement. I guess it depends on his statement and what he can remember, or not. I've no idea how these things work.
midlife_crisis

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:37 pm

midlife_crisis wrote:It was indicated that he was over five times, over the limit. From the look of the car it was just a curb and verge that he had run in to, though you can't tell what chaos he had caused behind him. The police didn't indicate that anyone else had called them, so I suspect that he hadn't been caused or been involved in an accident.

The other half was asked whether she would be happy to give a witness statement. I guess it depends on his statement and what he can remember, or not. I've no idea how these things work.

Offence is absolute.
I presume witness statement is needed to supply evidence as to why the Police became involved, their having not witnessed any offence from the driver.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby michael769 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:00 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Offence is absolute.
I presume witness statement is needed to supply evidence as to why the Police became involved, their having not witnessed any offence from the driver.

Was the driver in the car when he was apprehended? If not, unless he admits driving, the police will need to obtain evidence that he was in charge of a motor vehicle if they are to obtain a guilty verdict on prosecution.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:07 pm

michael769 wrote:Was the driver in the car when he was apprehended? If not, unless he admits driving, the police will need to obtain evidence that he was in charge of a motor vehicle if they are to obtain a guilty verdict on prosecution.

"Picked up later in the afternoon and arrested for drunk driving", from OP.
WhoseGeneration

Postby AndrewCR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:19 pm

If I was a judge, the DUI convict would have to attend 100 funerals of people killed by drunk drivers after finishing jail time.
AndrewCR

Postby fungus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:37 pm

On a similar theme. I am teaching the freind of an ex pupil who passed her test last year and has already written off her first car. This was a low speed collision totally due to inatention. The girl just didn't concentrate despite my warnings that a mistake might just be the last one she ever makes. She doesn't seem to have improved from what her freind told me this week. Perhaps she would be a good candidate for a visit to see the carnage of a serious RTA, or a visit to the local A & E to see the state of the victims, as her freind said that she just doesn't appreciate the possible outcome of a crash.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Tr1angle » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:45 am

It's true, I guess some people don't really realize the magnitude of the situation of a car crash--especially one in which you total your car... If more people knew what could happen to them, maybe more people would care about what goes on in the roads...
Tr1angle

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:35 am

Hi,

My word, "triangle" is busy today :D

I had a young friend who wrote of her first 3 cars in 9 months :!: all Corsa's so no great loss! but each time she escaped any injury so never really gained any idea of what could happen to her.

What has made her keep her current car (saxo) on its wheels is having a racing seat which means she no longer has to perch on the egde of the seat leaning forward to drive (she is very small)

Until young drivers realise they have to be seated properly to have complete control of the car they will continue to write them off, how many youngsters do you see literally "hanging" onto the steering wheel because their legs dont reach the pedals? guessit comes down to style and street cred over sense

Ivor (yes I know I'm busy too)
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Renny » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:40 am

I agree with Ivor, the fashion of the reclined seat, in my mind trying to emulate the seating position of BTCC drivers, must be a contributory factor in loss of control.

I'd have thought the BTCC footage would show how poor they are at avoiding collisions.

I must be getting old...
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby gfoot » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:07 pm

I think a lot of people don't realise that most cars these days have adjustable steering wheels too. Another factor of seat positioning is where your head is in relation to the door pillar - a slight recline adjustment can make a lot of difference to your awareness to the side.
gfoot

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:44 am

Renny wrote:I agree with Ivor, the fashion of the reclined seat, in my mind trying to emulate the seating position of BTCC drivers, must be a contributory factor in loss of control.

I'd have thought the BTCC footage would show how poor they are at avoiding collisions.

I must be getting old...

Erm, competition seats, for saloon cars, including BTCC ones, do not provide a reclined postion.
Single seater racing cars are slightly different, in that their seats are tailored to the particular chassis and the regulations governing that chassis.
So, across single seaters in different formulae you might find varying degrees of recline.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Tr1angle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm

AndrewCR wrote:If I was a judge, the DUI convict would have to attend 100 funerals of people killed by drunk drivers after finishing jail time.

I actually saw on TV a piece about a non-profit citizens organization that turns in drunk drivers. Also, they have talks or seminars about what happens to when you drive drunk. If I recall correctly, the state would require the convicted drunk drivers to attend these seminars where they would have to listen to former convicted drunk drivers, victims of the accidents and so on. I think this is a good step forward... should be implemented everywhere :)
Tr1angle

Return to General Car Chat Forum