All drivers should watch this....

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby JConnors » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3x7K3EOTk

What more is there to say???
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:54 am

JConnors wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC3x7K3EOTk

What more is there to say???

Quite a bit, I'd have thought. Can you not think of anything to restore a bit of balance?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby john.ump » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Just being picky but wouldn't the collision have been between the offside of the vehicles rather than the nearside as shown in the "action shot"????
john.ump

Postby Angus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:45 pm

IIRC the production of this involved a group of school students who had lost a contempory in this sort of incident.

The physics are wrong, but that wasn't the point, which was to shock teenage drivers into not using their phones while driving
Angus

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:19 pm

Angus wrote:IIRC the production of this involved a group of school students who had lost a contempory in this sort of incident.

The physics are wrong, but that wasn't the point, which was to shock teenage drivers into not using their phones while driving

Maybe, but the physics still ought to be reasonably plausible. In any case, the real problem is the sustained diversion of attention away from the driving task, in favour of dealing with the text message.

I've no time for the mobile phone law, but composing/sending/reading text messages would certainly be out of the question for me. On the other hand a brief and simple telephone conversation would not.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby JConnors » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Dave/TripleS

QUOTE: "I've no time for the mobile phone law, but composing/sending/reading text messages would certainly be out of the question for me. On the other hand a brief and simple telephone conversation would not."

Are you saying that you use your mobile phone when driving?

Are you suggesting that you're above the law and would say the above quote to the traffic officer after he cautions you a the roadside just before noting down your reply to the caution? Wonder how the magistrate would react to that statement as he reads if off the FPN that was issued to you at the roadside?

Lets hope your not involved in a head on accident with a bunch of teenagers being driven by someone who is texting, because you'd be so engrossed in dialling the number on your mobile phone that you wouldn't see the oncoming danger.

Any thoughts on he cost on the human value that such an accident will touch? Any thoughts on any of the 999 service staff dealing with this mess? Them girls are someone's daughter...the other driver? No? Just that the physics may not be just right. Right, ok. Carry on as you were then.
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby martine » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:09 pm

I think this video is excellent and it did the rounds when it first came out sometime ago...apparently it has been picked up by drivers, safety organisations and police all over the world. It made the BBC TV and radio due to it's 'popularity'. I think there's a post on here somewhere from a while back but can't be bothered to find it.

TripleS...there is loads of evidence that using even a hands-free mobile significantly affects your ability to control the car and react to hazards. They think it's due to the poor quality of sound making your brain work harder to decipher it and the fact the person the other end won't shut up when you're approaching a hazard that needs your full attention - something that passengers do naturally.

I used to use a hands free kit but now I leave it to go to answerphone.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Horse » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Are you saying that you use your mobile phone when driving?[/quote]

I think he answered that immediately after the chunk you quoted:

"composing/sending/reading text messages would certainly be out of the question for me"
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gareth » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:19 pm

JConnors wrote:Are you suggesting that you're above the law

What TripleS wrote is perfectly feasible within the law.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:34 pm

JConnors wrote:....Any thoughts on he cost on the human value that such an accident will touch? Any thoughts on any of the 999 service staff dealing with this mess? Them girls are someone's daughter...the other driver? No? Just that the physics may not be just right. Right, ok. Carry on as you were then.

Who will it touch? Try this web site.

http://www.everybodyhurts.com.au/

Use of a phone isn't black and white as the law suggests it is.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm

Mr Connors - do you respect all the laws at all times?

I see no need to elaborate on what I said earlier.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:32 pm

martine wrote:I think this video is excellent and it did the rounds when it first came out sometime ago...apparently it has been picked up by drivers, safety organisations and police all over the world. It made the BBC TV and radio due to it's 'popularity'. I think there's a post on here somewhere from a while back but can't be bothered to find it.

TripleS...there is loads of evidence that using even a hands-free mobile significantly affects your ability to control the car and react to hazards. They think it's due to the poor quality of sound making your brain work harder to decipher it and the fact the person the other end won't shut up when you're approaching a hazard that needs your full attention - something that passengers do naturally.

In my experience most normal passengers do no such thing; they continue to chatter.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:23 pm

martine wrote: I think there's a post on here somewhere from a while back but can't be bothered to find it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2613 :wink:
AnalogueAndy

Postby zadocbrown » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm

JConnors wrote:Wonder how the magistrate would react to that statement as he reads if off the FPN that was issued to you at the roadside?

Why would a magistrate be reading off a FPN?
zadocbrown

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:06 pm

As a driving instructor I'm on the road more than most people. I see at least a dozen drivers every single day either talking on hand held mobiles or texting. If I see it why don't the police see it. I have never heard of someone being pulled over by the police for breaking the law re mobile phones. I'm not saying they don't stop people but I have never heard of it.
drivingschoolnewbury

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum