Local authority mischief

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Call me misguided if you like, but it is my oppinion that some local authorities are guilty of deliberately causing confusion, by not cutting back hedges, leaving road signs covered with foliage etc. Bournemouths Highways Departments policy is to plant hedging up to the give way lines at roundabouts so drivers have to virtually stop. They are also keen on obscuring the view across the roundabout as in their oppinion this all slows drivers down. :roll: I thought roundabouts were originally designed to keep traffic moving. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would personally like to see the person responsible for this policy take a learner round one of their roudabouts at a busy time of day. Perhaps they would then realise that many drivers do not consider the visibility from the road to their left as they approach the roundabout. Visibility across the roundabout is also an issue as it is often not possible to see traffic on the roundabout untill it is at three o' clock.

And whilst I'm in a grumpy mood, Weymouth is installing intelligent traffic lights for the Olympics in 2012, in line with their modern transport system. :roll: These lights will sense when a bus is approaching and automatically switch to give the bus priority .:twisted: According to reports, most locals just want their roundabouts left alone.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:18 am

I agree entirely. Having spent years learning to use my eyes properly I am not amused when some half-witted policy maker decides that's a safety risk.

Trying to achieve safety by making perfectly good roads more dangerous is stupid when all people have to do is take responsibility for their own driving.

And no, I don't care if it 'works'. Drivers should learn the easy way or be taught the hard way. <end fascist rant> :x
zadocbrown

Postby 7db » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:52 am

Got to drive the road you're on, not the one you'd like to be on.

It's as valuable lesson for learners as it is for all of us.
7db

Postby Gareth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:32 am

I like to drive the B4494 instead of the roads I'm normally on - it makes boring roads more exciting.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:47 am

These days there is a lot more emphasis on eco driving many councils are shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak, by reducing visibility to make people slow almost to a stop. They should be improving vision on the approach to junctions so that drivers have a much better chance of arriving at the junction to coincide with the gap and so not have to slow down so much!

Rumours are that many of these planners don't drive anyway - bit like people never having lived in the countryside like to tell the farmers that foxes should be protected because they're cute!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am

I'm in strong agreement with those who are criticising this stupid policy by local authorities.

So far as possible we need traffic to be flowing steadily and efficiently at moderate speeds, not being slowed down or stopped unnecessarily. That doesn't improve safety, but it does result in more road user frustration, and higher fuel consumption, and more emissions. It is quite barmy, and those who inflict such policies on us should find themselves needing to visit the JobCentre; and soon. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am

I think Big Err might be along in a moment to give an alternative view of restricting views on approach to roundabouts.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:12 pm

martine wrote:I think Big Err might be along in a moment to give an alternative view of restricting views on approach to roundabouts.

Not so far, obviously. He's probably stuck in traffic at a roundabout, with everybody struggling to get a view that might enable them to proceed safely!

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by TripleS on Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:05 pm

TripleS wrote:
martine wrote:I think Big Err might be along in a moment to give an alternative view of restricting views on approach to roundabouts.

Not so far, obviously. He's probably stuck in traffic at a roundabout, with everybody struggling to get a view that might enable them to proceed safely!

Best wishes all,
Dave.l

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And now some more stupidity.

Travelling today on the road that borders Bournemouth Airport I notice that the speed limit has been reduced from 60mph to 40mph. At a roundabout where the road to the industrial section leaves the main road, the speed limit then changes to 60mph for about 200yds, and then reduces to 40mph again. This section was previously 40mph as it runs through a lightly residential area. Why not make the whole road 40mph?
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Big Err » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:41 am

TripleS wrote:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Sorry, was clearing some snow off road signs, just behind the hedge :lol:

Local Authorities eh? They do what ever they want, especially their landscape teams :roll:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 am

fungus wrote:Travelling today on the road that borders Bournemouth Airport I notice that the speed limit has been reduced from 60mph to 40mph. At a roundabout where the road to the industrial section leaves the main road, the speed limit then changes to 60mph for about 200yds, and then reduces to 40mph again. This section was previously 40mph as it runs through a lightly residential area. Why not make the whole road 40mph?

I seem to recall something along these lines in Bristol?

If this is the way traffic engineers are operating down south, we need to rebuild Hadrians Wall to keep them out of Scotland! :lol:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby martine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:31 am

Big Err wrote:
fungus wrote:Travelling today on the road that borders Bournemouth Airport I notice that the speed limit has been reduced from 60mph to 40mph. At a roundabout where the road to the industrial section leaves the main road, the speed limit then changes to 60mph for about 200yds, and then reduces to 40mph again. This section was previously 40mph as it runs through a lightly residential area. Why not make the whole road 40mph?

I seem to recall something along these lines in Bristol?

If this is the way traffic engineers are operating down south, we need to rebuild Hadrians Wall to keep them out of Scotland! :lol:

Yes the Bristol ring road (A4174) is mostly dual-carriageway, some of it is 70, some 50 (where there's a 2+ lane) but around every roundabout there are 30s...some of which are set a long way back from the give-way line....arrrrgh it makes it so difficult to plan a nice, smooth, flowing approach.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby exportmanuk » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 am

Town and City planners all work in the town centre. They can only get to work using public transport, if they drive its probably only at the weekend. How can we expect them to understand real world driving.
exportmanuk

Postby jont » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:35 am

martine wrote:Yes the Bristol ring road (A4174) is mostly dual-carriageway, some of it is 70, some 50 (where there's a 2+ lane) but around every roundabout there are 30s...some of which are set a long way back from the give-way line....arrrrgh it makes it so difficult to plan a nice, smooth, flowing approach.

Actually increasing amounts are now 50 even where there's no 2+ lane :(
jont

Return to General Car Chat Forum