tyre pressure

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi

Recently purchased a mini compressor RAC branded from Asda.

Checking my tyre pressures today with a hand held gauge indicated a couple of tyres were a little low so I attached the compressor. The gauge on it showed the tyre presure to be almost 20psi more than my own gauge indicated. To be confident I used a second gauge I keep with my motorcycle it was almost identical to my first reading. The compressor's gauge is reading almost 50 psi when the actual pressure is ony 30.

I wonder how many people use these devices and think they have the correct pressure in their tyres.
exportmanuk

Postby Custom24 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:11 pm

Is the Asda gauge digital or a dial? Reason I ask is one of the air compressors I have (I've amassed three, plus various gauges) has a digital gauge but sometimes it shows a reading which is off and you have to reset it. I never trust the gauge on this compressor.
Custom24

Postby exportmanuk » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:07 pm

Analog dial type
exportmanuk

Postby faboka » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Is your compressor large and round? Reason I ask is my dad has one and when used incorrectly it displays the wrong reading. If I remember right you need to plug it in first then put the valve on. Also for first use you have to set I to zero. Seems very complicated for such a simple device.
John
faboka

Return to General Car Chat Forum