Police fines for having snow on the roof?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Does anyone know more about the rumours of the Police fining drivers for not clearing the snow off the roofs of their vehicles?

Rumours are that they're issuing £60 fixed penalty notices so I'm interested what the offence is.

I fully understand the danger of not clearing all the glass but surely there are more important issues in this weather than the roof of the vehicle. Are they only fining car drivers? Or are they fining HGV drivers too?
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby vonhosen » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Thanks for that, a few others have been feeding through the "it's bullshit" message too.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:45 am

I don't know about fines, but I wouldn't mind seeing people stopped and told to sort their vehicles out before continuing. It's pretty stupid to risk being blinded when you brake and it ends up on the windscreen, and it's antisocial to shower everyone else with snow.

Last year I encountered problems with large blocks of ice coming off vehicles on the motorway. This is an altogether more serious danger.
zadocbrown

Postby ROG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:50 am

Is it BULLCRAP?

Commercials can be fined for having lumps of ice fall off the roof - insecure load
Snow off the top of the vehicle in front which diminishes the vision of those following must have consequences
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby crr003 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:41 am

ROG wrote:Commercials can be fined for having lumps of ice fall off the roof - insecure load

How do lorry drivers prevent ice building up on the trailer roof or clear it off? I've seen this stuff break off and it's thick - if it hit a car it would do some damage.
It also gets called in as "glass" debris.
crr003

Postby ROG » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:01 pm

ROG wrote:Commercials can be fined for having lumps of ice fall off the roof - insecure load

crr003 wrote:How do lorry drivers prevent ice building up on the trailer roof or clear it off

They cannot prevent it but it is the responsibility of the driver not to have it fall off - that is the law

In Germany they specific areas put aside for truckers to remove it and they spot one who has not removed it they pull them into those areas and fine them
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby hanse cronje » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:45 pm

section 229 of the highway code
hanse cronje

Postby morsing » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:56 pm

hanse cronje wrote:section 229 of the highway code

But it doesn't say *must*...
morsing