Winter tyres - a modification?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:02 pm

Following the various discussions concerning winter tyres, a bod from the AA was on the radio this evening to report that some insurers consider winter tyres to be a modification and that you should notify them if you fit them, with a potential increase in premium or refusal to insure :!:
Angus

Postby Gareth » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 pm

It's more likely that certain insurers consider a replacement wheel to be a modification - even if it is a smaller cheaper steel wheel. There's no reason to notify insurers about changing tyres on the standard wheels so long as the tyres meet the legal requirements for the vehicle, (in particular the load index). Using tyres with speed ratings lower than the originally supplied tyres isn't a problem but driving a vehicle above the maximum rated speed of any of the fitted tyres is.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby faboka » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 pm

Pet hate of mine this. According to some insurance companies a modifications is if anything has been changed from when the basic car specifications. This includes any factory fitted options. Others arnt bothered.
John
faboka

Postby zadocbrown » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:53 pm

Angus wrote:Following the various discussions concerning winter tyres, a bod from the AA was on the radio this evening to report that some insurers consider winter tyres to be a modification and that you should notify them if you fit them, with a potential increase in premium or refusal to insure :!:

Any case law on this?

Most vehicle handbooks include a range of recommended tyres, including winter versions. So long as my tyres correspond to these specifications they are standard uk spec and therefore no more a modification than changing from one brand to another.

Tyres are expendable items and there can be no reasonable expectation that a car will retain its original fitment.
zadocbrown

Postby moncainthewilds » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm

I know someone who always changes their tyres each autumn. I don’t think they tell the insurance company.

Before we bought our present car a Nissan X Trail from a dealer we had the rear windows darkened to the agreed specification of the new models. This is also classed as a modification and the insurance companies increase the premiums.

Monica
moncainthewilds

Postby TripleS » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:19 am

Gareth wrote:It's more likely that certain insurers consider a replacement wheel to be a modification - even if it is a smaller cheaper steel wheel. There's no reason to notify insurers about changing tyres on the standard wheels so long as the tyres meet the legal requirements for the vehicle, (in particular the load index). Using tyres with speed ratings lower than the originally supplied tyres isn't a problem but driving a vehicle above the maximum rated speed of any of the fitted tyres is.

I wouldn't seek to dispute any of that, but I do find it surprising. From what I've heard some insurance companies can be extremely finicky about any modifications, even those that improve the characteristics of the vehicle. Having said that, one might expect they'd be concerned about modifications aimed at increasing the acceleration and top speed of a vehicle, but what about modifications to improve braking and stability? Maybe they would take the latter as a warning sign that the driver might be a bit of a tearaway - for want of a better term.

I had expected that they would object to the use of tyres with a lower speed rating than the original equipment, and in fact I would have guessed that would be illegal. As for driving a vehicle at speeds in excess of the tyre speed rating, well I would have thought that's very unlikely to get picked up on. After all, you'd need to get caught at it!

Anyhow, old CUBby is completely bog standard to the best of my knowledge, unless having Hankook full wets on the front, and P6000 intermediates on the back (instead of the original Continentals all round) is some kind of problem.

Best wishes all,
Dave - invariably the biggest problem. :(
TripleS

Postby martine » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:01 am

Angus wrote:Following the various discussions concerning winter tyres, a bod from the AA was on the radio this evening to report that some insurers consider winter tyres to be a modification and that you should notify them if you fit them, with a potential increase in premium or refusal to insure :!:

If you want to hear the program...it's 'Money Box' on Radio 4...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00wcs46/Money_Box_04_12_2010
...listen from about 6mins 50secs.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:31 pm

Possibly a definitive reply to this:

http://www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article. ... leid=22819

(possibly not :lol: )

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby michael769 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:54 pm

The ABI have issued instructions to insurers that the use of winter tyres should not impact premiums provided that the wheel rims and tyres comply with the vehicle manufacturer's specifications, and any alternative wheel rims are not of a higher value that the originals. They are aware that some people are being asked for increased premiums and believe that this message may not getting through to some insurer's call centres.

Anyone asked to pay a higher premium is advised to take the issue up via their insurer's complaints process.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Standard Dave » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:55 pm

Written news stroy on BBC news website about this now

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11969958

Some motorists who fit winter tyres to their car to cope with snow are being charged higher insurance premiums, it has been claimed.

AA Insurance Services says some people have been told to pay up to 20% more.

Winter tyres should be much safer in the snow, but some insurers have been counting them as a modification to the manufacturer's specifications.

The Association of British Insurers (ABI) says that is a mistake and premiums should not be higher.

The AA's Ian Crowder said in some cases insurers were even refusing to offer cover if winter tyres were fitted.

Standard Dave

Postby NalaGee » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Article re reasons for winter tyres.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/col ... tyres.html

In Canadian Provinces the fitting of winter tyres is greatly encouraged by Insurance companies,
it helps reduce the cost of claims for vehicle damage, which no doubt would increase the cost
of insurance to any drivers original claims.
NalaGee

Return to General Car Chat Forum