Sat Nav for a technophobe.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:21 pm

Having just replaced my Seat Ibiza with a Ford Fiesta, I find that from the passenger seat the speedometer is quite difficult to see at low speed, ie. anything under 50mph. It is possible to purchase a head up display speedometer from He-Man Dual Controlls in Southampton, for about £90. I understand that some sat navs display the vehicles speed, and wondered whether this would be a viable option. This would have the added bonus that I would hopefully, and I did say hopefully, not get too lost in circumstances where reading a map is difficult. For instance, when driving alone in heavy traffic.

I must add that I am rather technophobic, having had a video recorder and DVD recorder for several years, and still struggle to use either, due mainly to my lack of interest and non use. Bearing this in mind the sat nav would have to be very simple and easy to use. Any suggestions please.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Custom24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Garmin Nuvi's can display the speed on the screen, either down in the bottom left in small font, or when you touch that part of the screen, in a big font circle in the middle of the screen. They are pretty easy to use (you just plug them in, let them start up, and select View Map).

I think TomTom's are equally easy to use, not sure about how prominently it displays the speed.

For £90, I would be tempted to go for a GPS like Garmin or TomTom, rather than just the heads up display.
Custom24

Postby Custom24 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Oh, there is another consideration. The speedo reading from a GPS will differ than that read from the speedo in the car, which you've probably heard about before. Most of the time, the GPS is more accurate. In my cars (I think both are similar), my dial speedo says 70, and the GPS says 66. At 30, however, they agree, more or less.

This might be a problem when instructing pupils, but I suspect it would be a problem with the heads up system also, if it is GPS based.
Custom24

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:12 pm

Custom24 wrote:Garmin Nuvi's can display the speed on the screen, either down in the bottom left in small font, or when you touch that part of the screen, in a big font circle in the middle of the screen. They are pretty easy to use (you just plug them in, let them start up, and select View Map).

I think TomTom's are equally easy to use, not sure about how prominently it displays the speed.

Tomtom's do not offer a prominent speed display, so a Garmin would be much more suitable for your purpose.

I taught my daughter to drive in a new Fiesta; I was slightly surprised that Ford had not considered the needs of driving instruction when designing the instruments. I used a satnav with prominent speed display in the bottom left of the screen. Interestingly, I was advised not to leave it on the screen for her test.

As to the accuracy of a gps speed display, it is much more accurate than a speedometer when at a steady speed on a flat road, but be aware that there is a bit of lag in the speed display and that there are other inaccuracies on hills.
waremark

Postby Custom24 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:35 pm

OP I took some pics of my Nuvi showing the speed if you want to see it. Let me know
Custom24

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:07 am

Custom24 wrote:OP I took some pics of my Nuvi showing the speed if you want to see it. Let me know

However, one should bear in mind that these will have been carefully selected to ensure suitability for general viewing.... :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:28 pm

Custom24 wrote:OP I took some pics of my Nuvi showing the speed if you want to see it. Let me know

I would be gratefull if you could show me the pictures of your Nuvi showing the speed.

Incidently, I notice there are several sat navs in the Nuvi range. Would they all display the vehicles speed? I noticed on the Garmin web site no mention of speed display, only the speed limit, and a warning if you are exceeding it.
TripleS wrote:

However, one should bear in mind that these will have been carefully selected to ensure suitability for general viewing.... :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

No doubt they will be legal :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:20 pm

If you have a windows phone, TomTom is available to install on your phone. In your own car, how often did you estimate the pupil was creeping over the speed limit and found you were right when you checked? Just about EVERY time? You probably don't actually need one!

I prefer the TomTom, but then that was what I started with so am more used to it.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby gfoot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:39 pm

I guess a technophobe wouldn't have a smartphone but in case you do there's a whole range of apps on Android marketplace designed to show your speed, according to the GPS in the phone. It will also do navigation if you have a mobile signal (big caveat!). If you don't see yourself as a serious satnav user a smartphone might be a good versatile alternative.
gfoot

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:44 pm

fungus wrote:Incidently, I notice there are several sat navs in the Nuvi range. Would they all display the vehicles speed? I noticed on the Garmin web site no mention of speed display, only the speed limit, and a warning if you are exceeding it.

You'd probably need to investigate for your specific model, but as an example, my 765 shows something like this:

The downside is you can't display the speed and the navigation at the same time.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby daz6215 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:01 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
fungus wrote:Incidently, I notice there are several sat navs in the Nuvi range. Would they all display the vehicles speed? I noticed on the Garmin web site no mention of speed display, only the speed limit, and a warning if you are exceeding it.

You'd probably need to investigate for your specific model, but as an example, my 765 shows something like this:

The downside is you can't display the speed and the navigation at the same time.

Chris

Glad that max speed is in K/ph Chris!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

On the note of the He-man device, you can match it to the reading your speedometer gives so there is no missmatch between the two!
daz6215

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:06 pm

Have you bought a new Fiesta or used? If new, Ford should be providing something as part of the ADI package together with free duals.
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:08 pm

daz6215 wrote:Glad that max speed is in K/ph Chris!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Indeed - the max speed recorded on mine is quite a bit higher ;) Around 450mph :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby waremark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
daz6215 wrote:Glad that max speed is in K/ph Chris!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Indeed - the max speed recorded on mine is quite a bit higher ;) Around 450mph :lol:

Chris

That was rather a slow aeroplane?? When I had a Garmin, I also switched it on in an aeroplane.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 pm

waremark wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

Chris

That was rather a slow aeroplane?? When I had a Garmin, I also switched it on in an aeroplane.

Oh, so that's the explanation. I thought Chris must be another Pug 406 owner. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum