Any good Christmas prezzies then - (split) electric cars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby daz6215 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 am

daz6215

Postby Angus » Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:41 pm

daz6215 wrote:We'll all be in these soon!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric- ... -car/index

And the problem is?

Look at it this way: The coming wave of electric cars are suitable for 80+% of journeys and are ideal as a second car in a 2 car household. They don't [directly] use oil, meaning existing reserves will last longer.

True, they're still evolving, but look at the very early motor cars, compared to the horse.

I suspect that within 20 years, the majority of cars will be electric - either 100% battery or with a small but very efficient engine to keep the batteries topped up.
Angus

Postby jont » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:48 pm

Angus wrote:I suspect that within 20 years, the majority of cars will be electric - either 100% battery or with a small but very efficient engine to keep the batteries topped up.

Given our crumbling electrical infrastructure, I suspect it will have to be engines to keep the batteries topped up.
jont

Postby daz6215 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:32 pm

Angus wrote:
daz6215 wrote:We'll all be in these soon!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://www.nissanusa.com/leaf-electric- ... -car/index

And the problem is?

Look at it this way: The coming wave of electric cars are suitable for 80+% of journeys and are ideal as a second car in a 2 car household. They don't [directly] use oil, meaning existing reserves will last longer.

True, they're still evolving, but look at the very early motor cars, compared to the horse.

I suspect that within 20 years, the majority of cars will be electric - either 100% battery or with a small but very efficient engine to keep the batteries topped up.

I dont believe i said there was a problem did i?

lets just build a load more nuclear reactors and keep paying for energy which by the way will no doubt quadruple in price as demand soars to power these things, i can see the electricity suppliers rubbing their hands now, cheap I doubt it! more focus needs to be made on developing free energy, but thats not at the top of agenda because they wont make money from us will they!
daz6215

Postby martine » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Angus wrote:And the problem is?

Not for my household there not...I and my wife need cars for work and although our offices are less than 1m from home, we both make regular journeys of more than 100m in a day. One of our cars is an 8 seater (we have 4 kids) and sometimes need to use 6+ seats.

The problem with electric cars is not just the range, it's the long recharging time as well. The practical range is often a lot less than the 'book' figure as things like lights, wipers and esp. heaters can halve it.

Of course it's an evolving technology but batteries seem to be way behind other advances in automobile engineering. 20 years time...well yes who knows what will be around then.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Return to General Car Chat Forum