Top Gear's three "wise" men.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Syncopator » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Not being a fan of the programme, I watched this out of interest in the route.

In all of the on-road shots none of the three had proper and full control of their vehicle. I saw many variants of the one-handed steering technique, sometimes degenerating into the two or three fingers technique.

Their collective "wisdom" must be questioned. None of them would pass even a DSA test. And I bet they all think that they're "good".

What an astonishingly bad example to viewers.
Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
Syncopator

Postby Big Err » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:20 am

Syncopator wrote:What an astonishingly bad example to viewers.

Top Gear is a comedy programme and should be viewed as such. You wouldn't run a hotel like Basil Fawlty would you? :lol:
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby MadMik » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:22 am

Well said that's exactly what it is entertainment, I for one am not naive enough to think that the viewing public watch this and try and gain driving tips from the programme.

I personally don't think the public go out and try and emulate the "three wise men"

Its fun and I enjoyed it. :D
MadMik

Postby martine » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:13 pm

Hi syncopator and welcome.

As per the other posts really - best not to take TG too seriously...I'm a fan and whilst I don't think all the features are excellent, it's still in the 'not to be missed' category in my household...and interestingly it appeals to the whole family: my wife, 3 daughters (22, 20, 17) and my son (14).

I wonder if there's any way a program could be made to help educate drivers that would be in a format to appeal to broadcasters and viewers?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jont » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:28 pm

martine wrote:I wonder if there's any way a program could be made to help educate drivers that would be in a format to appeal to broadcasters and viewers?

Unlikely. Most people think they are expert drivers already so wouldn't see the point in watching :(

I was thinking yesterday the motorway matrix signs could be used to better effect. Rather than "Slow down, patchy fog" that were in use, signs like "If you can read this, you don't need your foglights on" or "If you're doing 70 it's not foggy enough to need foglights" would be more helpful :twisted:
jont

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:35 pm

martine wrote:Hi syncopator and welcome.

As per the other posts really - best not to take TG too seriously...I'm a fan and whilst I don't think all the features are excellent, it's still in the 'not to be missed' category in my household...and interestingly it appeals to the whole family: my wife, 3 daughters (22, 20, 17) and my son (14).

I wonder if there's any way a program could be made to help educate drivers that would be in a format to appeal to broadcasters and viewers?

I don't know; but I would certainly like to see programmes that would educate all road user groups - not just drivers. Top Gear is not a programme that appeals to me, but no doubt it pleases a great many viewers, so it is probably best left alone to continue doing that.

We need a new style of programme that can attract viewers and generate some enthusisam for driving better, and getting more satisfaction and enjoyment from it. Now that would be a very worthy cause IMHO.

BTW, I haven't seen the programme that so offended the OP, so I don't know anything about the instances of unsatisfactory steering techniques that were being used: but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with one handed steering, or two/three finger steering for that matter. It depends on who is doing it, and how well they are doing it, and in what circumstances. I don't suppose he would approve of my single finger steering - which is what I sometimes use when straightening the steering after a tight turn at very low speed. That is merely an alternative to palming.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Syncopator » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:46 pm

jont wrote:Most people think they are expert drivers already ...

Yes, quite. In 50-odd years of driving I've come across only 2 people who were aware of, and admitted, that they didn't drive well. I salute them.

jont wrote:I was thinking yesterday the motorway matrix signs could be used to better effect. Rather than "Slow down, patchy fog" that were in use, signs like "If you can read this, you don't need your foglights on" or "If you're doing 70 it's not foggy enough to need foglights" would be more helpful :twisted:

A brilliant idea (not sure if I meant that to be punny or not).

Rather like -10dB glasses in front of people's eyes as soon as there's any sign of the sun, as soon as there's a bit of mist around I see many vehicles with front fog lights on, professionals amongst 'em.
Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
Syncopator

Postby martine » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:10 pm

Jon: The signs you are thinking of are called Variable Message Signs (VMS). Matrix signs are the old tiny and crude ones in the central reservation that display speed limits and 'FOG' and that's about it.

Take a look at:
http://www.highways.gov.uk/knowledge/documents/Highways_Agency_VMS_Campaigns_Policy.pdf

I'm sure I've seen other messages recently.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:42 pm

I've also noticed the steering techniques of the Top Gear presenters, just about every program! But it's just light-hearted entertainment, so I don't let it bother me. The program wouldn't suit a sort of 'Cholmondley-Warner' style of presentation with everything being stiff and by-the-book.
Kevin

Postby GJD » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 pm

jont wrote:I was thinking yesterday the motorway matrix signs could be used to better effect. Rather than "Slow down, patchy fog" that were in use, signs like "If you can read this, you don't need your foglights on" or "If you're doing 70 it's not foggy enough to need foglights" would be more helpful :twisted:

:)

Might work, but I think my girlfriend's recent suggestion could be more effective - given that people switch on their fog lights as soon as they think they've seen some fog, if they were rebranded as "VERY foggy lights", people might only switch them on when it's VERY foggy.
GJD

Postby Big Err » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:59 pm

martine wrote:I'm sure I've seen other messages recently.

Come to Scotland Martin, our Network Control Centre have a great variety of messages they impart to us via their Variable Message Signs.

My personal favourite is when they illuminate a large sign with the message "Avoid distractions whilst driving".......
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Big Err » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:00 pm

GJD wrote:if they were rebranded as "VERY foggy lights", people might only switch them on when it's VERY foggy.

I'd rebrand them "ar$e lights" and see how many people use them :lol:
Big Err

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:03 pm

Quiz question provided by RoADAR examiner at recent talk:

"What constitutes 'seriously reduced visibility'?" *

I didn't know :oops: (but I do now :) ) - neither did a large proportion of an audience of advanced drivers and riders, so Joe Public (I submit) has no chance!

You could also ask "What constitutes proper and complete control?". I suspect the OP's definition involves two hands at a 10 to 2 position, but there may be any number of other definitions, which may include, under some circumstances, one finger hooked over a steering wheel spoke. I think perhaps "proper" is confused with "full" ;)

* it's defined in the Highway Code as "generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet)"
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I didn't know :oops: (but I do now :) ) - neither did a large proportion of an audience of advanced drivers and riders, so Joe Public (I submit) has no chance!

Well the highway code suggests "generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres". Was there more to the answer than that? - Oh, I've just noticed you squeezed that quote in using sneaky hidden writing. I'm surprised if a lot of you didn't suggest 100m. Call yourselves advanced do you? :)

It's in the highway code so I'd have thought Joe Public has as much chance of knowing that as they do any of the other rules (which, I admit, is not much chance unless they bother to remember or reread what they read when they were learning).

TBH, I'm not sure if I'd vote for calling them very foggy lights, or ar$e lights (like that idea too). I might just vote for banning the damn things.
GJD

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:38 pm

GJD wrote:It's in the highway code so I'd have thought Joe Public has as much chance of knowing that as they do any of the other rules (which, I admit, is not much chance unless they bother to remember or reread what they read when they were learning).

So, honestly, before looking it up, what was your guess? :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum