Texting and driving

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Standard Dave » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Standard Dave

Postby gfoot » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:27 pm

I wouldn't condone reading text messages while driving, but it strikes me that these people would probably be alive if they'd had their seatbelts on. Preventing an accident is better than surviving one, though, for sure.

I guess I just find both actions unthinkable, I'd never use my phone when driving any more than I'd ride in a car without my seat belt on. Some people seem incredibly stupid to me.
gfoot

Postby Horse » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:55 pm

Horse wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqD8FWB6o4

:)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 am

Well, it's because most consider driving to be secondary to other concerns.
The motor manufacturers conspiring in this, witness cupholders.
Drink and drive?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:07 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Well, it's because most consider driving to be secondary to other concerns.
The motor manufacturers conspiring in this, witness cupholders.
Drink and drive?

Yeah, it happens a lot. :P

I think cup holders are legitimate and can be useful, but some of them are limited in the size and type of cup/beaker/mug they will accommodate. They might be too small for some mugs, and they ought to have a slot in the side for when you're using a mug with a handle.

Never mind, the ones in the 406 will hold my (modest supply of) lager cans OK. Worry not.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 pm

TripleS wrote: They might be too small for some mugs, and they ought to have a slot in the side for when you're using a mug with a handle.

Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:00 am

Horse wrote:
TripleS wrote: They might be too small for some mugs, and they ought to have a slot in the side for when you're using a mug with a handle.

:lol: Whatever next?

It's very novel, but it's not quite what I meant....but I'm sure you knew that.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:27 pm

TripleS wrote:
Yeah, it happens a lot. :P

I think cup holders are legitimate and can be useful, but some of them are limited in the size and type of cup/beaker/mug they will accommodate. They might be too small for some mugs, and they ought to have a slot in the side for when you're using a mug with a handle.

Never mind, the ones in the 406 will hold my (modest supply of) lager cans OK. Worry not.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

No use for me or any passengers, Mrs. WG included.
Ain't no drinking or eating in any of my cars, moving or static.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby kfae8959 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:51 am

Horse wrote:Image

That's fine for those of you with left hand drive cars: if I used it the digestives would fall into my lap at the first sip, causing a further hazard...

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:19 pm

kfae8959 wrote:

That's fine for those of you with left hand drive cars: if I used it the digestives would fall into my lap at the first sip, causing a further hazard...

Don't see the problem :roll:

One hand for the mug, the other to eat the bics. :lol:
Horse

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:38 pm

Horse wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:

Exactly. Single knee steering can work quite well in suitable circumstances. You just have to make sure there's sufficient grip between your trousers and the steering wheel rim, and that only minor steering inputs will be required. Honestly, some folk are just lacking versatility. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby SeanP » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:22 pm

TripleS wrote:
Horse wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:That's fine for those of you with left hand drive cars: if I used it the digestives would fall into my lap at the first sip, causing a further hazard...

Exactly. Single knee steering can work quite well in suitable circumstances. You just have to make sure there's sufficient grip between your trousers and the steering wheel rim, and that only minor steering inputs will be required. Honestly, some folk are just lacking versatility. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Ah, come on! You KNOW that BOTH Knees should be on the wheel most of the time, and alls OK so long as they don't go past 12 O'clock! :roll: :lol:
Long-term Roadcraft addict :) IAM (3/2009), RoSPA Gold (3/2010)
Mazda RX-8 R3. (Gone but not forgotten: Mazda RX-8 231PS, RIP 28/08/2009).
RX8 Owners Club, Youtube track-day vids
SeanP

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:50 pm

SeanP wrote:
TripleS wrote:Single knee steering can work quite well in suitable circumstances. You just have to make sure there's sufficient grip between your trousers and the steering wheel rim, and that only minor steering inputs will be required. Honestly, some folk are just lacking versatility. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Ah, come on! You KNOW that BOTH Knees should be on the wheel most of the time, and alls OK so long as they don't go past 12 O'clock! :roll: :lol:

OK, fair enough, but if both knees are involved do we then need to devise a new form of shuffling? I fear this is going to get a bit too complicated for me.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Love this thread but heres a thing, why, if you cannot use a phone whilst driving (I never have and never will) does my minibus have a slot for my mobile and even more worrying why is it seemingly just out of reach? :?
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum