Car Jacking Horror caught on video...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Roadcraft » Sun May 07, 2006 1:52 pm

Shocking pictures have been released of a man being flung into the air as he tried to stop a thief stealing his car. The 56-year-old victim had stepped out of his Vauxhall Astra to use recycling bins in a supermarket car park in Liverpool when the thief struck.

The thief jumped into car and used the key, which was still in the ignition, to start the engine.The owner tried to block the car by standing in its path and raising his hands, but the thief didn't stop.

He ploughed into the man, knocking him six feet into the air, before speeding away.

The victim, who has not been named, received hospital treatment for whiplash and minor injuries.

The car was later found abandoned in the Halewood area of Liverpool.

Detective Chief Inspector Nikki Holland, of Merseyside Police, said: 'I'd like to take this opportunity to remind members of the public to switch off their engines and lock car doors when possible to try to stop such incidents occurring.

'Although uncommon, there are opportunist thieves who will take advantage of situations like these.'

Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue May 09, 2006 11:46 am

That is shocking. One of the reasons behind getting rid of my Scooby turbo was the increasing threat of car-jacking (although it would be a good excuse to practise my J-turns! :lol: ). It was a great car, but not that great that I'd endanger my family to own it!!!

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Roadcraft » Tue May 09, 2006 2:39 pm

wise words Chris...
Roadcraft

Postby martine » Tue May 09, 2006 3:58 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:That is shocking. One of the reasons behind getting rid of my Scooby turbo was the increasing threat of car-jacking (although it would be a good excuse to practise my J-turns! :lol: ). It was a great car, but not that great that I'd endanger my family to own it!!!

Chris

I can sympathise but car-jacking is incredably rare in this country isn't it? I'ts your judgement but everyone needs to keep the risks in proportion.

I heard someone criticise the milllions £ that are spent in making the railways very, very safe (an rail incident with a 5 lives lost is major news) whereas many people 'accept' 10 nearly every killed on the roads. Risk/odds are very difficult for most (including me) to assimilate in practical terms.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Roadcraft » Tue May 09, 2006 6:23 pm

Although "car-jacking" is relatively rare...when compared in ratio to the numbers of cars on the road...

what isn't rare is what occured...it was a simple theft of car (keys left in ignition)...despite the media headline of 'car jacking horror'

With more and more security devices being fitted to cars, and the associated systems being so sophistocated....thieves are taking more desparate measures to aquire your vehicle...

A huge number of burglaries nowadays are solely in order to obtain the car keys for the powerful or expensive vehicle on the driveway....

People are still leaving car keys on tables in the hallway or kitchen surfaces...and finding their cars missing in the morning.....
Often when a thief has simply 'hooked' the keys with a fishing rod through the letterbox...

and despite the warnings and the publicity campaigns...it's still happening every evening...
Roadcraft

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue May 09, 2006 8:08 pm

martine wrote:I can sympathise but car-jacking is incredably rare in this country isn't it? I'ts your judgement but everyone needs to keep the risks in proportion.

I used to be a member of Scoobynet and was surprised how many people were affected by car jacking or serious assault to get hold of the car. My other half was also watched and followed when she went to the local takeaway - luckily she knew the area well and made use of some NSL areas to lose him. Does make you think though. As I said before, it wasn't the main reason behind selling the car, but it was certainly a factor... :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Wed May 10, 2006 11:14 am

[quote="ScoobyChrisI used to be a member of Scoobynet and was surprised how many people were affected by car jacking or serious assault to get hold of the car. My other half was also watched and followed when she went to the local takeaway - luckily she knew the area well and made use of some NSL areas to lose him. Does make you think though. As I said before, it wasn't the main reason behind selling the car, but it was certainly a factor... :D

Chris[/quote]

I guess it's the sort of desirable car that will get attention from scum...must have been scary for your partner.

I've often been tempted to buy one but I'd go for as plain an Imprezza turbo as I could get. Don't like the 'flashy' gold wheels, stickers etc you get with some. How long did you have yours? I know the performance is awesome. Was it reliable?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 10, 2006 12:27 pm

martine wrote:I've often been tempted to buy one but I'd go for as plain an Imprezza turbo as I could get. Don't like the 'flashy' gold wheels, stickers etc you get with some. How long did you have yours? I know the performance is awesome. Was it reliable?

Ours was just a UK turbo and didn't really stand out :lol:

Mods included a full decatted Scoobysport exhaust (nice and quiet for motorway work but great on full chat :D), a Green Panel Filter, uprated Godspeed brakes, 17" wheels, Securefix window tints, Clifford Alarm and tracker, front lip spoiler and full (DIY :o ) colour coding of mirrors, sills and door handles. A trip to Powerstation In Gloustershire also sorted out the optimum tracking/handling settings. After that pic was taken, I also got hold of some fog light covers which reduced the amount of glass on show :D

Car rolling roaded at 251bhp, hit 60 in a shade under 5 seconds and average about 27mpg in the 2 and a bit years/65k miles I owned it for :D Car never skipped a beat and was faultlessly reliable :D

It was tough trading it in, but as my replacement car wasn't quite prepared, the chap told me to take it for one last drive :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Wed May 10, 2006 12:36 pm

Nice one.

Dare I ask what you've got now? (try not to cry).
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed May 10, 2006 1:00 pm

martine wrote:Dare I ask what you've got now? (try not to cry).

The Scooby was replaced by a Y-reg Skoda Fabia Elegance (PD100 diesel):

Car was chipped to a dizzy 130bhp :roll: and had a set of Eibach springs and dampers on to make it go round corners. Sadly this car broke down twice in the year I owned it and bits fell off or broke and generally cost me quite a bit to fix (luckily my mate is a VAG group mechanic!).

So unreliability plus a littl'un arriving in the family last November and annual mileage of 25k, meant that a year ago I sold the Fabia and got myself a 2002 Mondeo Ghia X TDCI:

Sublime handling (considering it's a big family car) and as at home cruising on the motorway as it is on twisty A and B roads. The only mods so far are an air filter, chipping it from 130bhp to 160-170bhp and the '05 model clear side indicators :D

So with a sensible diesel on the drive, I think it's time to find myself a nice silly weekend car to complement it :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Wed May 10, 2006 1:14 pm

Yes how about something like a caterham or tiger? Sounds like you like to tweak - how do you fancy building a kit car?
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri May 12, 2006 10:00 am

I'd love to build a kit car (especially after watching Mark Evans build one on Discovery Home + Leisure) but I suspect it would result in divorce :lol: A 7 or a Westie sounds like fun though ... just need to bring my driving up to scratch :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Return to General Car Chat Forum