A question for anyone who first drove before 1960

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 pm

I'm interested in the way driving has changed. Obviously technology has but being as honest and as objective as you can, how do you think driving (good and bad) has changed in the last 50 years? Have specific skills changed, has politeness changed...what about compliance with the law, average speeds, driving interest...so in other words all the human-side of driving: what's different?

Over to you TripleS, jcochrane, etc, etc
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:46 am

OK, I'll have a go.

Much has changed over the last 50 years. I think the key changes are:- Car ownership is now the norm not the exception. Major mechanical improvements/reliability of cars. More signs etc. to control or advise drivers of hazards. Better road surfaces. Driver attitude/behaviour.

In my early driving days the roads were quiet mostly derestricted but the cars were much more difficult to drive presenting a challenge. You always left home (particularly on a longer journey) with a toolkit, oil and water as cars frequently broke down and required fluids to be topped up on route. You needed some mechanical knowledge as well if you did not want to get stranded! No two cars were quite the same to drive, even of the same make and model. Often one had to adapt the way you drove a car to compensate for some temporary defect that developed and nurse it along. Long journeys required planning as petrol stations were sparse and closed at night and Sundays. Spare cans of petrol would sometimes have to be carried in the boot. With only the one speed limit (30 mph) one did not bother much about checking the speedometer but did perhaps have to think more about appropriate speeds. By today’s standards brakes, steering, tyres and suspension were poor calling on the driver “to get it right” and make allowances if cornering for example. Cars easily lost grip so skid control skills were often called upon. I think the introduction of radial ply tyres made quite a difference , cross ply were then the norm. Night driving was more difficult because of poor lights on the cars. There was a much wider range of road surfaces and knowing the different types and how differently each would effect grip under dry, wet or icy conditions had to be understood. There was a sense of camaraderie and courtesy amongst drivers. If you came across someone who had broken down you would always stop to see if you could help.

Cars today are far easier to drive, are far more forgiving, reliable and quicker. Driving is, however, more restrictive with limits, road markings and traffic density which perhaps removes some of the driver skills and decision making required in the past.

There’s less freedom now but cars and roads are safer but with higher traffic density so an accident not involving another vehicle is less likely but the likelihood of an accident involving a third party is higher.

Longer trips today are a lot quicker, mainly due to motorways and dual carriageways.

Sadly, in my view, attitudes on the road are not what they were.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby hir » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Exactly as jcochrane says and, in addition:

We were taught to always assist a faster car to overtake you. The only places in the British Isles that still operate this courtesy are Scotland and Ireland, not too sure about Wales, probably too many English tourists refusing to let anyone past to be able to gauge properly Welsh driving standards. In the South East of England, especially, overtaking is now regarded as anti-social or reckless, however safe it may be.
hir

Postby PeterE » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 pm

jcochrane wrote:Cars today are far easier to drive, are far more forgiving, reliable and quicker. Driving is, however, more restrictive with limits, road markings and traffic density which perhaps removes some of the driver skills and decision making required in the past.

I would say perhaps the ideal era for driving was the mid-80s, when "ordinary" cars had become much quicker and more reliable, and the motorway network was substantially complete, yet traffic volumes were less than nowadays and we had none of the modern anti-car nonsense of speed cameras, reduced limits and "traffic calming".
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby vonhosen » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:26 pm

hir wrote:Exactly as jcochrane says and, in addition:

We were taught to always assist a faster car to overtake you. The only places in the British Isles that still operate this courtesy are Scotland and Ireland, not too sure about Wales, probably too many English tourists refusing to let anyone past to be able to gauge properly Welsh driving standards. In the South East of England, especially, overtaking is now regarded as anti-social or reckless, however safe it may be.

1:20 - Looks like he missed the briefing.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jcochrane » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:54 pm

I think, Von that this guy was a little ahead of his time but the use of the horn was somewhat aggresive. As we moved through the 60's bad manners occured more frequently.

Back then we even had an arm signal for "I'm ready to be overtaken" which would be frequently given but it no longer appears in today's Highway Code. :roll:
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:59 pm

vonhosen wrote:
hir wrote:Exactly as jcochrane says and, in addition:

1:20 - Looks like he missed the briefing.

Ooh, 3.8 Mark 2 Jaguar: happy days. 8)

Shame the driver was not always quite as patient and prudent as one might have hoped, having regard to the office he held. Nice bit of film though, all the same.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:05 pm

jcochrane wrote:I think, Von that this guy was a little ahead of his time but the use of the horn was somewhat aggresive. As we moved through the 60's bad manners occured more frequently.

Back then we even had an arm signal for "I'm ready to be overtaken" which would be frequently given but it no longer appears in today's Highway Code. :roll:

I understand drivers sometimes treat each other to a different range of hand signals these days. They don't seem to be quite as helpful as the previous set! :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TiJay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:29 am

James May made an interesting point in his "driving to work" video on Topgear.com, something along the lines of "this is the worst era to be a car/driving enthusiast, as driving is not new enough to be a pioneering thing that only a few people do, and it hasn't been around long enough for a more efficient form of transport to replace it and therefore become just a hobby for those who enjoy it".

At the moment, everyone drives, and most people don't want to.
Passed driving test: Feb 2007 (2nd time)
Passed IAM test: July 2008 (first time!)

Car: Mazda MX-5 Mk1
TiJay

Postby drivingschoolnewbury » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Wow. Amazing to have stumbled across the video from a bygone day. Especially as part of it was fimed through Newbury, my home town :D I drive that bit of road all the time as an instructor and even though I recognise it, it has changed a bit. Loved the part where he said "The traffics a bit heavy here" (or something like that).... he wants to be driving nowadays :D And as for a "trafficator".... I never knew indicators were once called that :D
drivingschoolnewbury

Return to General Car Chat Forum