Hi can I join in?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi, as a "new boy" can I introduce myself?

I am a "mature" driver and have always taken a real pride in my driving since passing my test (2nd time) back in 1974 in an Austin 1300 of all things, brilliant little car.

I have been driving for a living since 1975 and have now covered something around 3 million miles over most of the UK, driving cars, vans, trucks (I hold a Class 1 HGV licence) both right and left hand drive, latterly I have been a Chauffeur and now drive a minibus for a big Scottish Hotel.

I like to think I am a good, safe driver and try to be consistent in the way I drive but am always willing to learn from others, hence joining this forum, hopefully I can add to and learn from, various discussions and maybe even pass on the odd word of wisdom to others.

Looking forward to talking to you all.....IVORTHE DRIVER
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby martine » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:14 am

Hi Ivor and welcome!

Interesting background and 3m miles...blimey. Glad you're stll open-minded at your great age :wink:

Apart from the minubus what do you drive now?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:44 am

martine wrote:Hi Ivor and welcome!

Interesting background and 3m miles...blimey. Glad you're stll open-minded at your great age :wink:

He sounds like a well clued up and discerning sort of chap: probably a Pug 406, I expect. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:43 pm

martine wrote:Hi Ivor and welcome!

Oi, watch the agist remarks. I learnt a few years earlier than that, though not as far back as Dave. :lol:

Incidently, welcome to the forum Ivor.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Thanks guys!!

At the moment I pilot an aged but powerful Mada 626 2litre sport (actually the wifes car) but I did have a classic Porsche 944 up till last year when finances forced its sale, mind you I sold my house first, have to get your priorities right dont you know.

Also in the garage is my next project.....bit embarrasing though as its a Proton, but hey it was free!

Just out of interest though I reckon this is about my 50th car, bit of a petrol head im afraid
2.5 Million miles of non-advanced but hopefully safe driving, not ready to quit yet
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby Renny » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Welcome from a fellow countryman. There are a few of us on the right side of the border (north) here.

Don't worry about Dave (Triple S) we all love him as the sites unofficial curator of all things historic! :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Renny wrote:Welcome from a fellow countryman. There are a few of us on the right side of the border (north) here.

Don't worry about Dave (TripleS) we all love him as the sites unofficial curator of all things historic! :lol:

My old boss in the chemical industry used to say (jokingly, I preferred to think) I had a head full of useless information. :lol:

Anyhow, I'd rather not be saddled with sole responsibility for this 'historic' stuff. JC pointed out ages ago that the origins of the IAM were somewhat different from what I'd believed.

....and remember, if you ever want to talk about the very early days of motoring, you need input from CK. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby IVORTHE DRIVER » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Point of interest here fellas...does that mean I am of historic interest?

And 19 inch alloys on the zimmer.....not sure what the insurance company will think of that, dont think saga like modifications :P
IVORTHE DRIVER

Postby TripleS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:57 pm

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:
....and remember, if you ever want to talk about the very early days of motoring, you need input from CK. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Sorry, Dave; I'm a bit busy at present trying to fit some 19" wheels & a Hyabusa engine to my Zimmer.

Cheers, Chris.

Pah, mere toys. I'm not keen on small capacity screamers like that. What I want is something a bit solid and meaty, a nice low revving motor with some proper low down grunt.

So, I'm on the hunt for a good heavy duty bed frame suitably extended and reinforced, with a 12LDA28-C mounted amidships; I don't think it all ought to be at one end! I'm not sure what the displacement is, but they're good for 2750 bhp at about 800 rpm, so I can use fairly high gearing, which I like. I'm a bit concerned about tyre load rating but I'll have to see what I can find. Maybe solid tyres of a suitable compound (winter spec. of course :wink: ) might be necessary there.

Anyhow I shall be able to sit on top of that motor, keeping nice and warm between the cooling water pipes; and I'll have an excellent view over all the walls and hedges, so I can get a pretty good line through all the bends. The steering might be a bit heavy of course, but I can see this being quite good fun. :mrgreen:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to General Car Chat Forum