MOT reminders

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:47 am

VOSA have started a text reminder service for MOTs if you register...and pay...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_192284

It's always struck me as strange we get reminders about tax disk but not MOTs...shame they are charging for the texts and it's not a recurring service.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:53 am

Every garage I've used for a car service seems to automatically add me to their MOT reminder mailing list (without me asking). Maybe it's a good way to drum up custom without too much effort?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Considering there's been a sticker on the new style MoTs that I thought was supposed to be put on the windscreen as an MoT reminder, it's not exactly been challenging to keep an eye on when it's due.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm

I actually find it quite challenging especially with my weekend car which often has long periods off the road and as a result, has widely varying tax, MOT and insurance dates. The simple answer of course is to create your own reminder in your favourite PIM, smartphone, etc... but it's remembering to create it in the first place. :oops:

<off to create myself a reminder to look up the date of the MOT and create a reminder ...>
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jont » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:37 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The simple answer of course is to keep your car in a roadworthy state and drive it regularly

:twisted: :P
jont

Postby crr003 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:15 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:The simple answer of course is to create your own reminder in your favourite PIM, smartphone, etc... but it's remembering to create it in the first place. :oops:

Tell me the dates and I'll remind you.

For a pound.......................... 8)

That's 33% cheaper than DVLA - I can't do better than that!
crr003

Postby Stephen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:11 pm

You would be surprised at the amount of vehicle's that are on the road and when checked by the police come back as MOT expired,some by as much as 4months. Must admit have been guilty of it myself with my sons car but only by either a day or exactly on the day,needless to say by keeping on top of it all year round then taking it too any garage and still getting a pass is a result,especially on a 52 plate car.

I f I get one at work and they are what appear on the surface in good condition then i just tell them to get it done asap and to ring me when it is done,if not done within a week then action will be taking I think that is fair and usually does the trick.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:01 pm

Stephen wrote:I f I get one at work and they are what appear on the surface in good condition then i just tell them to get it done asap and to ring me when it is done,if not done within a week then action will be taking I think that is fair and usually does the trick.
Stephen

I think that is very fair. I always forget when mine is due. So I have taken to writing the expiry date on the calendar on the 31 Dec then transfer it to the new calendar each year.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:45 am

I just remember the dates, as I do with insurance.
How hard can it be?
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:18 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:I just remember the dates, as I do with insurance.
How hard can it be?

Quite hard when your life is in turmoil
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Standard Dave » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:36 pm

I've just always had an awareness of when mines due, I booked it a month or so before it was due and about an hour later the same garage rang me to remind me that it was due I informed them I had just spoken to someone else there.

I very rarely check or stop a vehicle thats not committing an offence so I've always reported for summons on any out of date docs no doubt people will think I should have something better to do. I know most vehicles will pretty much always have something thats considered an MOT failure.
Standard Dave

Postby christopherwk » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:54 am

Due to my job, any operator (company) I sub-contract for is required by the licensing authority (PCO) to keep a copy of my MOT, which is required every six months. As I sub-contract from four companies at the moment, I am going to be reminded four times! - otherwise I won't be getting work from any of them.

Also, as an operator myself, I will have to remind myself anyway.
christopherwk

Postby waremark » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:56 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:I just remember the dates, as I do with insurance.
How hard can it be?

How many vehicles do you have to remember for?

I have most insurance renewals on the same date - same for years, easy to remember - but that does not apply with MOT's. Nevertheless, have not forgotten one yet - I do put them in my diary a year ahead, and I also get reminders from garages. Would not contemplate paying for a text reminder service.
waremark

Return to General Car Chat Forum