Learning to drive before you turn 17

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:00 pm

GJD wrote: within a 45 minute round trip? (Are driving tests still that duration?)

as far as im aware the test is now 50 minutes since the independent drive came in. when i did my 10 tests i was able to drive on a 60 mile NSL road on every one, and each time that was a different route :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby martine » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:00 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:...as far as im aware the test is now 50 minutes since the independent drive came in.

No the length of the driving test hasn't changed with the introduction of the 'independent driving' phase last September - they've taken out a manoeurvre and now only 1 of the classic 3 are required now. The test lasts 35 - 40 mins.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby hanse cronje » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:05 pm

against

makes them over confident in their ability due to the sterile training environment (speaks with first hand exp of four/five years of u17 cc before some twit jumps up and down asking for justification) but then, that is easier to address than a lack of confidence once in the real world
hanse cronje

Postby fungus » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:43 pm

Bournemouth test routes tend to be mostly in 30 & 40 mph limits, with one small stretch of 70mph DC. This then becomes single carriageway for a short distance as the route approaches the village of Hurn, reducing to 30mph before returning to 40mph then back to 60mph as it skirts the Bournemouth International Airport. This stretch was reduced to 40mph a few months ago, but has recently been increased to 60mph.

Dorchester test routes are more likely to include NSL roads including dual carriageway, as Dorchester is in a rural area, unlike Bournemouth.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby GJD » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:46 am

hanse cronje wrote:makes them over confident in their ability due to the sterile training environment (speaks with first hand exp of four/five years of u17 cc before some twit jumps up and down asking for justification) but then, that is easier to address than a lack of confidence once in the real world

You think over-confidence is easier to address than under-confidence? I'd have thought most people who lack confidence would like to have more. But how many over-confident people wish they had less?
GJD

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:27 pm

I've found that it's (unsurprisingly) the high-achieving males who tend to suffer from this over-confidence syndrome (albeit my experience is shorter than Hanse's - only about 3 years involvement). This is particularly evident once they reach 17 and pass their standard DSA test, at which point they leave the protective wing of the U17CC, and become more exposed to the habits and expectations of their peers. On the positive side, if we then take them on as RoADAR associates, they have a much better base to build on than the average 17 year old, and progress much quicker. They are quite easy to set back on the path to safety, once you get them interested in the practice of advanced driving. Whether it then sticks once they take their advanced test and move on, I can't say.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Standard Dave » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16 pm

It depends completely on the ethos of the course and training, could or would teaching under 17s encourage them to commit traffic offences such as driving otherwise than in accordance or TWOC.

The problem with over confidence can happen to anyone after a period of training or a sucessful exam pass in almost any skill you are more likely to have an incident after a period of training because of over confidence in new abilities unless this is address as part of training.
Standard Dave

Postby moncainthewilds » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 am

The U 17cc can also give them confidence to say no to their mates. I was in conversation
with a group of the 16 -17 year olds some had passed the DSA test. One of the said his mates preferred him to drive if they went out, and then he said one of them wanted him to increase his speed and he was not prepared to do this.
The conversation then went “If you don’t like the way I drive I will stop the car and you can get out”

I obviously have proof of his actions, but felt if he was prepared to talk to others about this he was not concerned what others thought about the way he drove.

Monica
moncainthewilds

Postby martine » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:30 pm

moncainthewilds wrote:The U 17cc can also give them confidence to say no to their mates. I was in conversation
with a group of the 16 -17 year olds some had passed the DSA test. One of the said his mates preferred him to drive if they went out, and then he said one of them wanted him to increase his speed and he was not prepared to do this.
The conversation then went “If you don’t like the way I drive I will stop the car and you can get out”

I obviously have proof of his actions, but felt if he was prepared to talk to others about this he was not concerned what others thought about the way he drove.

Monica

That's brilliant Monica.

With the young driver project Mr. Toad, SlicNic and I (and others) are involved in, we've found showing them good driving by way of a demo, gives them the 'excuse' not to drive like tools. Sometimes young drivers just need a good role model and sometimes their parents are anything but. :shock:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby annaboros » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 am

x-Sonia-x wrote:
GJD wrote: within a 45 minute round trip? (Are driving tests still that duration?)

as far as im aware the test is now 50 minutes since the independent drive came in. when i did my 10 tests i was able to drive on a 60 mile NSL road on every one, and each time that was a different route :wink:

Cardiff Driving Test Routes
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) or DSA has done some changes in driving tests. One of them is DSA is not publishing test routes for driving test centres.
So Cardiff driving test routes might have some changes in future. Currently Cardiff test routes as still similar to those used in practical test. Find below the available driving test routes map for Cardiff.
annaboros

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum