In-Car event cameras - discrete

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby BlondeBimbo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:21 pm

I am considering a set of cameras for my car – which will also record position (GPS), have G sensors for lateral etc.

I know there are system such as the Novus Eye, or Exeros Eye, and perhaps the closest to my needs the Cube G9300, but these are all systems I really don’t want to leave on display all the time.

So I either have to set them up each time and risk not having them in the event of an incident (‘cos it’s too much bother), or leave it in full view and risk a break-in.

I would like a more remote solution – perhaps a black box remotely fitted with discrete camera forward and aft which can be on all the time when driving.

I have found the VDR Blackbox by Novus http://www.novus-gps.co.uk/VDR_4Channel_Camera.php but at £682 it’s a bit steep! – Also the cameras don’t look that discrete to me!

I have even looked at the spy sites, but these systems don’t have the increase in picture frequency upon event and full GPS recording – just camera.

Has anyone used any of these systems or anything like the Blackbox? The functionality looks spot on to me it's just the price and camera size.

BB
94.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - "the internet"
79.48% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - John A. Paulos

87.19% with a standard deviation of 10.9 - source BlondeBimbo using all the available information!
BlondeBimbo

Postby michael769 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:32 pm

Remote DVRs are very expensive and unless you are a skilled and keen DIYer will require an auto electrician to install.

The self contained units are cheaper and easy to set, though the power cable is a nuisance unless you fix to the car. I use http://www.novus-gps.co.uk/Eyecar_B1.php The main body is palm sized and comes with a suction mount so it only takes a couple of minute or two to put in and easy to pop in the boot. They have even smaller options like the BlackVue http://www.novus-gps.co.uk/Novus_BlackVue.php.

I have not seen one in the flesh, but would guess that if you thought carefully about mounting it it would be very hard to see.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby BlondeBimbo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:42 pm

Thanks, I had seen those, the cube is smaller and easier to hide, but I would rather have one which looks both ways.

I have looked at loads, but since anything with the full functionality is quite large, it's a put-in take-out job each time, and knowing me I won't bother!

I will try and spot yours in Livvy'

BB
94.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - "the internet"
79.48% of all statistics are made up on the spot. - John A. Paulos

87.19% with a standard deviation of 10.9 - source BlondeBimbo using all the available information!
BlondeBimbo

Postby postlover » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:21 pm

£682 is really expensive, for normal dash cameras we can get one at even lower than £20 today, mobile remote solution is always not so easy and also very expensive, have a try with 3G surveillance solutions.
Perhaps this link may offer some information for dashcams:
http://www.szswill.com
Last edited by postlover on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
postlover

Postby dmp » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:18 pm

I've got a couple of roadhawks, leave them in the car set up all the time, never had any problems.
http://www.roadhawk.co.uk/

Work well and have both gps and gforce, also a lot cheaper for the two than the hidden on you listed.
dmp

Postby Stephen » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

DMP,
Can I just ask you I have two Roadhawk HD cameras and swear by them, however since the recent software/ firmware update they seem to take up to 20 to 25 min to connect to GPS and sometimes never during a journey, have you had any issues. I am using 64gb Integral 45mbps memory card which is what they recomend.
Thanks
Stephen

Postby Kimosabe » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:09 pm

I have a Roadhawk HD. If you only have one car, this will be less problematic than having to have duplicate power and GPS cables for this camera. As the camera goes, it's really good but there are loads of other cameras available, including dashcam apps for smartphones.

If you're after something really cool and inexpensive, please make time to check out Techmoan's Youtube page as he designs, demos and reviews dash cams of all types and will gladly recommend something suited to your needs and budget if you ask him. I ended up buying an 1080p camera that is about the size of a matchbox for my MX5. It's called a 'Mobius' and has a 120 degree wide-angle lens and can be secured with velcro or it's own included bracket kit if needed. I bought it from a UK seller and have been easily able to call them to chat about some functions. Techmoan has links to every company whose products he reviews.

Mobius:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1f ... 4F24001328

Techmoan's Page:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan
A wise man once told me that "it depends". I sometimes agree.
Kimosabe

Postby true blue » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 pm

Apologies if I'm being dim, but why would you want a GPS / G-force monitoring dashboard mounted camera? I just about understand the camera part from an insurance defence point of view, but wouldn't a seperate logging system for the rest be more cost effective (if it's necessary at all for on-road driving?)
true blue

Postby dmp » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Stephen wrote:DMP,
Can I just ask you I have two Roadhawk HD cameras and swear by them, however since the recent software/ firmware update they seem to take up to 20 to 25 min to connect to GPS and sometimes never during a journey, have you had any issues. I am using 64gb Integral 45mbps memory card which is what they recomend.
Thanks

Hi Stephen, my rear one is connected to the supplied sat tracker box and the front one just fixed to the screen, both connect within a couple of minutes (1/2 mile). I'm using a couple of 16gb cards. The biggest problem I've found is that every so often I've got to reformat the cards.
Dave
dmp

Postby Carbon Based » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am

true blue wrote:wouldn't a separate logging system for the rest be more cost effective

Depends on what you are using it for.

I've been playing with recording certain nice roads - but picture and audio quality being more important to me means I didn't really consider the dash cam type. Having a GPS reference of where I am would be quite useful.

But then you would have to sync picture to GPS.

I haven't used it, but something like https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/outdoor ... 19594.html would apparently do everything in one go and with pretty good image quality.
Carbon Based

Postby Horse » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:24 pm

true blue wrote:Apologies if I'm being dim, but why would you want a GPS / G-force monitoring dashboard mounted camera? I just about understand the camera part from an insurance defence point of view, but wouldn't a seperate logging system for the rest be more cost effective (if it's necessary at all for on-road driving?)

The 'dashboard' display for the Blackvue, which I've used occasionally, produces a 'multi'-screen view, showing location on Google maps, video, 3 axis G, and speed.

Alternative:

Yes, separates might be 'better' - perhaps have higher-quality G sensors - but ease of use is also important.

The sort of thing the Blackvue allows you do to simply is identify, for example, speed through a corner to determine where you slow or accelerate. Similarly, the G can identify the car's balance.

Also, how much do you want to spend? http://www.racelogic.co.uk/
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby true blue » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:06 pm

I'm well aware of the applications of G-force monitoring, I just don't see the need to have them for road driving. Strikes me that it will become a toy/distraction. I'd also be curious as to how the resolution of cheap/ish retrofitted G-force sensors compares to typical road-driving cornering forces and spurious road noise.

Maybe I'm just a Luddite...
true blue

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:09 pm

It's so important to have separate cameras ... :roll:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:21 pm

true blue wrote: Strikes me that it will become a toy/distraction.

You can only view the data after the memory card has been removed from the camera, so it's unlikely to become a distraction . . .

Unless you had something else in mind?
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:48 pm

StressedDave wrote: 3.) Cameras with data logging seem to fall into the toy category or for those who like to expose other people driving badly on YouTube whilst ignoring their own glaring faults.

The Blackvues I used, apart from a couple of test trips and videoing of specific roadside activity, were fitted into the rear windows of parked vehicles! :lol:
Horse

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum