IAM Senior Observer training day

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Fri May 26, 2006 4:36 pm

I've been very lucky again, and gotten to spend a very nice day training with David Wornham (retired Police class one, IAM fleet trainer, and all round good egg).

All sorts of roads, the senior observer test seems very different from your standard advanced test, as I'll be examined by a staff examiner, rather than a group one, and all this with a live candidate.

The part I'm struggling with at the moment is giving a basic commentary, I can do a full one, or nothing at all, but this basic one, using the points of the system (IPSGA) is throwing me somewhat.

I start out with my new candidate next week, so will probably have the actual test in a fortnight or so.

Any help etc, always appreciated.
Nigel

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 7:36 pm

Im off to be assessed for an Observer Spot with the IAM next week. I have been thinking since and would quite like to become a Senior Observer. I feel I have the knowledge for this and I wondered whether the Chief Observer, who will be assessing me next week, is able to class me as such on a first asessment.
James

Postby martine » Fri May 26, 2006 7:52 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Im off to be assessed for an Observer Spot with the IAM next week. I have been thinking since and would quite like to become a Senior Observer. I feel I have the knowledge for this and I wondered whether the Chief Observer, who will be assessing me next week, is able to class me as such on a first asessment.

I'd have thought you would easily make the grade for Senior Obs...what you'd have learn possibly is the IAM's interpretation of Roadcraft and what sort of standard would constitute a standard IAM pass for an associate. I guess there's some admin to sort out etc. As Nigel said Senior Obs are tested by the region's IAM staff examiner (usually a current or ex class-1) so your drive with the group's Chief Obs is probably just to introduce you.

It's great you are prepared to give the time to help a local IAM group - I'm sure you will be made very welcome...and if you're not I hear the Bristol group are a friendly bunch :wink:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Nigel » Fri May 26, 2006 9:00 pm

Police_Driver wrote:Im off to be assessed for an Observer Spot with the IAM next week. I have been thinking since and would quite like to become a Senior Observer. I feel I have the knowledge for this and I wondered whether the Chief Observer, who will be assessing me next week, is able to class me as such on a first asessment.

I'm not sure to be honest, best person to ask is safety1st, he is a police driver, and is also a Rospa examiner, as well as IAM Senior observer.

Its not just about your driving though, old safety does teach, so I'd imagine he already had the skills to do so for the IAM, I wonder what teaching experience you have ?

If none, probably better to start off as an ordinary group observer for a couple of years, then go on to senior ( one of the requirements for senior is that you have a min of 20 hours instruction experience).
Nigel

Postby James » Fri May 26, 2006 9:58 pm

Teaching Experience, None! Im only 24 so teaching is something I am going to have to take at face value. Im also considering the Rospa Gold route, it is something else to have as a qualification of you like.
James

Postby Nigel » Fri May 26, 2006 10:49 pm

Good luck, from Darrens, Petes and my experience, join rospa lol lol lol lol, it'd be easier to join the local masonic lodge.

Your local IAM group should snap you up ( I say should, as I've heard the odd horror story).

I have some forms that will exempt you from the need to take the test ( dependant on your police quals).

I'd advise you just go the observer route, rather than trying to rush the senior status, you may be the best driver in the world, but putting that knowldge across to others is a very different thing.

Have a chat to Von & safety1st, they are both serving officers, and both teach.
Nigel

Postby James » Sat May 27, 2006 1:48 am

I have already sorted the exemption forms out, its all been done.

I must admit my wanting to join all these instututions is more for personal gain than the desire to teach. I dont view myself as a teacher of any sort. I do enjoy a certian degree of pressure however, and find a challenge wholesome.

As for Von and Safety1st I have been discussing a wide range of topics on the driving forum with them, its enjoyable. It's nice to keep knowledge up to date, alot of police drivers take the test and then cant be bothered to maintain the high standard of driving they would have had to display on their assessment.
James

Postby Nigel » Sat May 27, 2006 11:25 am

Good luck with joining the organisations, nothing wrong with wanting to keep your standard up.

The whole observer thing is all about teaching, to obtain observer status you will have to complete ten hours of giving tuition, and then need ten hours a year min to maintain that status, as well as re-qualifying at whatever interval your local group have set.

I'm not sure what you have to do to maintain senior status, as I haven't gotten it yet, but I know you need a min of 20 hours tuition giving to be considered.
Nigel

Postby James » Sat May 27, 2006 4:48 pm

Thats really interesting as mt local group have said come along for an hour assessment, and then you can take the role of observer!

I go for an hour assess at 9am, then I am popping out with another two runs at 10 and 11 to see how they like to run things, and from them they are happy to have me. I think they are desperatly short of observers at the mo, and I get the impression they are being extra flexible.

I am expecting a few frowns when they find out I am 24, as I think alot of people just dont expect it. They , however, are not to appreciate the efforts and time I take in my driving, not to mention what I have accomplished so far in terms of my qualifications. I am keen to get across the professional attitude I take over driving too.
James

Postby PeteG » Sun May 28, 2006 11:59 am

Heh, the number of people who are blindsided when I'm doing RoADAR at 18...
PeteG

Postby Dandu71 » Sun May 28, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi Police driver

Good luck with the observer plans that you have. Being just 24 is soemthing that some people may find hard to deal with as you always get the people who say "I`m twice as old as you, what can you teach me" kinda thing. Sure they may have been driving for more years than you but it`s not to say they are particularly any good at it?

I was an Approved Motorcycle Instructor at 19 (the youngest age to be an AMI, ADI is 21??) and done both IAM tests at 18 ad 19. The difficulty also came from Instructors who also had a smiliar attitude but the beauty of being younger than the majority is that I felt I could relate better to the younger candidates. I was keen to try new ways of teaching and new approaches and established a good rapport with my trainees, even if some fellow instructors weren`t that keen on me. You have to be profesional and know what you`re talking about, you will gain much more respect than those older than you who are stuck in their ways...

Good luck, feel free to message me if I can assist in anyway....you`re at the right place on this board as there`s a braod range of skills and abilities all with the same thing in common - to raise standards on the roads!!

Good luck.
LGV C+E
IAM Car
IAM Motorcycle
DIAmond Advanced
DIAmond Special
Dandu71

Postby James » Mon May 29, 2006 6:40 pm

Indeed, and an attitude like that towards younger drivers, who theoretically should be more up to date with their knowledge as they would have done their course more recently, is just what the "human aspects" of Roadcraft tell about. I.e. an unwillingness to develop, change and learn.
James

Postby WhiskyDelta » Mon May 29, 2006 7:07 pm

I did a similar thing, joined the IAM through the Police Exemption and initially became an Observer, I then took the Group Observer assessment and as far as I understand the rules you have to have been a group Observer for a year before your local group put you forward for the Senior observer test. You can only go for that if the Chairman of the group approves it, he has to sign some document sent to IAM HQ. The test is done by the area Staff Examiner.

It used to be that you could become a senior observer straight away having completed the Police Advanced Test or Response test but they changed the rules.

I took the Senior Observer test and have since given guidance to other potential Senior observers in my group.

Good luck.
Whisky Delta
IAM Examiner.
WhiskyDelta

Postby Nigel » Mon May 29, 2006 11:55 pm

I think these rules vary between groups, in mine, Worcestershire, you need to have given a min of 20 hours tuition to live candidates, and the form needs to be signed by the groups chief observer.

I'm a little dubious of someone going straight to senior, as you could be the best driver in the world, but if you have no experience of teaching, I'm not sure how you could uphold senior status.
Nigel

Postby WhiskyDelta » Tue May 30, 2006 7:51 am

I agree with Nigel. I did about 2 years as an observer before going for the Senior Observer test.
In my role as a Traffic Patrol Officer I took on younger and less experienced officers and helped them get ready for their Advanced course and Traffic Patrol course.My style is perhaps a bit different to the run of the mill IAM observer, however associates enjoy their runs with me, so they say!.

In my group we have another Police Class 1 so we can feed off of each other and keep our standards up.

Whisky Delta.
IAM Examiner.
WhiskyDelta

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum