Cost of learning to ride

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jameslb101 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:00 pm

christopherwk wrote:If you're able to come my way, or head south towards Croydon, I used these: http://www.thinkbike.co.uk/

I can't think of any motorcycle schools in central London, though I'd imagine you would have to go further out to the suburbs to get the training done anyway, where space for the off-road parts of the course are required.

Thanks Chris, the Richmond one looks ideal as my uncle is in Wimbledon.

Just spoke to them on the phone and it looks like £695 for a 5 day course, including CBT and both test modules. However, they'd do a discount as we'd be booking for two, and despite being on different bikes (as due to my age as I'd be doing as restricted test, but my uncle DAS) we'd share an instructor, which is good. This price also includes use of bikes and equipment (helmet, jacket, gloves, etc.). Need to do theory first though (£31).
jameslb101

Postby jameslb101 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Following my above post, this weekend I did my CBT with 'Thinkbike', so thanks for the recommendation Chris.

Yesterday I passed my motorbike theory and hazard perception, so that's another box ticked. Although given I passed it less than 3 years ago for my car test, and my achievement since, I'd have been a little miffed if I hadn't. :lol:
jameslb101

Postby christopherwk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:28 pm

Well done, hope you get to pass the test before the January deadline!
christopherwk

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:07 am

Just had my driving license taken away...so that the DVLA can add the motorcycle category to it!

It's been a bit of an ordeal though. I had postpone my original booking after hospitalising myself and being told not to drive for two weeks, during which time my course was originally scheduled. My uncle was still booked in for that week so went on to do his DAS course, which he subsequently passed. I later took a few days training, then went for my Mod 1, which I failed :cry:. This was purely due to, "being too wobbly" on the U-turn. Although I'd agree it wasn't the smoothest turn, I still made it without resorting to putting a foot down so it seemed a little harsh and more like a minor fault, but that's the Mod 1 test for you! I would however, be the first to admit that my low speed bike handling is my weakest area. So I booked a retest, which was then cancelled when we arrived at the test centre, as the examiners had gone on strike. So I booked another retest which was cancelled due to "risk of ice", despite the fact the centre were still running car tests and even bike Mod 2 tests on that day. I was then back in Bristol for a few days over Christmas so booked my own Mod 1 there, and hired a 125 for the day to do it on, and this time I passed. Then today I took the Mod 2 passed (my first attempt). A few minors though; one for leaving an indicator on for a little longer than necessary, and a few for positioning - apparently I went a bit wide on left turns and my general positioning wasn't perfect. Surprised with the latter as I was was aiming to position for view, safety and stability as in a car but perhaps I was too 'extreme' in this on the rural sections.

Now I've passed, due to my age I'll be restricted to a 33bhp machine for 2 years, after which my license will automatically be 'upgraded' to allow me to ride any bike. I don't think I'll be getting a bike straight away though - riding in wet weather is just miserable (cue abuse for not being a 'hardcore' biker) - but if funds permit I'll think about one in the summer. The main motivation for doing it now was to get it done before the 19th Jan, after which I'd have had to retake my tests after two years to get an unrestricted license - a bit of a faff.

One other thing; I thought I'd enjoy the 'rustic charm' and almost agricultural simplicity of a 125cc machine. In reality they're plain soulless, absent of any joy or sense of fun. Perhaps it was just that I was on a knackered one with a slipping clutch, but not having the oomph to top 60mph was frustrating to say the least.
jameslb101

Postby Slink_Pink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 am

Congratulations!

Sadly, despite starting this thread, I've proceeded no further than purchasing a couple of books & DVDs to read. However, it's the new year and hopefully I can save up a for actually getting on with it later in the year when the weather is more suitable.

jameslb101 wrote:Just had my driving license taken away...so that the DVLA can add the motorcycle category to it!

As you seem to have had a typical sort of journey (if quite unlucky) would you be willing to post how much it has cost you to gain the entitlement?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 am

Slink_Pink wrote:Congratulations!

As you seem to have had a typical sort of journey (if quite unlucky) would you be willing to post how much it has cost you to gain the entitlement?

Thank you.

I paid £31 for the theory test.

I paid £625 for the CBT plus 4 days of training with use of their bike and equipment. This also included the test fees.

I paid £16 for a Mod 1 retest and £50 to hire the bike (and equipment) for the day.

So £722 in total (and before anyone wonders how a student affords that, I had a full time job in my year out and saved up).
jameslb101

Postby Horse » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 pm

Congrats! Well done :)

jameslb101 wrote: "being too wobbly" on the U-turn. Although I'd agree it wasn't the smoothest turn, I still made it without resorting to putting a foot down so it seemed a little harsh and more like a minor fault, but that's the Mod 1 test for you! I would however, be the first to admit that my low speed bike handling is my weakest area.

Although this might seem a relatively minor point, it's well-worth correcting as it can have a significant effect on riding comfort, ease and safety.

Here's the reminder card content that I used to give out:

Clutch Biting Point – it must be instinctive.
Head & Eyes Up – Trust your hands and feet, they know where they are
Look where you want to go
‘Wrist down’ on the throttle
Drive Through Corners And Roundabouts – Slow in, Fast(er) out
Brakes, then Gears, in a straight line
Always Stop With The Bike Upright
Feet Up In Tight Turns – Rear brake only

jameslb101 wrote: apparently I went a bit wide on left turns and my general positioning wasn't perfect.

If you can't accurately place the bike in the lane width for a turn, then any other positioning is very much of secondary importance!

Serious question: do you know 'how' and do you consciously practice, for all turns, counter-steering?

Running wide in a corner could be a fairly serious mistake, one of those 'cancel the milk and papers' events that could really ruin your day. AKA a 'once in a lifetime [end] event'.

jameslb101 wrote: as I was was aiming to position for view, safety and stability as in a car but perhaps I was too 'extreme' in this on the rural sections.

Would you really place 'view' higher than 'safety'? That may be why the examiner was a bit meh about it :)

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/d ... ining.html

Where In The World?

If you've recently taken a CBT or test-level course, then you will probably have been encouraged to ride about a metre out from the kerb, or in the centre of your line. Real-world riding suggests that moving across the lane width can have significant benefits - but also serious risks.
Enter, two mantras:

• Safety - View - Advantage

• Safety - Stability - View

It doesn't particularly matter which you use, as long as you understand what you can gain from each.

Safety. Children are warned: "Run away from danger". For you, a grown-up, thinking rider, this means keeping as far away from danger as reasonably possible, e.g. if there's a car in the junction to your left, move across to the right of your lane. If there are two hazards (add an oncoming car to the example above) then separate them either in time, i.e. change your speed so that you only encounter one at a time, or distance, i.e. go equidistant between them.
Stability. Choosing the best surface to ride on, i.e good tarmac rather than oil, gravel, horse . . . 'dust', or sunken drain covers.
View. See and be seen. One classic example of this is following HGVs, several of which now sport warning signs: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you". Try to make eye contact with other road users; if the driver at the junction mentioned above can't see you, it's far more likely that he will pull out! A more extreme example of 'View' is positioning for corners, which is really beyond the scope of this 'game'.
Advantage. Again, this is slightly more involved, but one example is adapting your following position to overtake when leaving a bend, using the advantages of an earlier view and the bike's superior acceleration.
In the second version: Safety - Stability - View, Ask yourself how you chose the position in the lane width you're riding in. Then 'project ahead' and choose - or plan - where you want to be, rather than deciding when you get there - by which time it's really too late to decide that you really ought to be somewhere else!

jameslb101 wrote: One other thing; I thought I'd enjoy the 'rustic charm' and almost agricultural simplicity of a 125cc machine. In reality they're plain soulless, absent of any joy or sense of fun. Perhaps it was just that I was on a knackered one with a slipping clutch, but not having the oomph to top 60mph was frustrating to say the least.

One of my 'most fun ever' moments was overtaking a bored-looking gent in a 911 on the training scheme's Honda CG125 :) Flat out, downhill (the Honda, not the 911) with me laughing like a loon ;D
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby christopherwk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Well done and congratulations!

What sort of bike are you planning to get?!
christopherwk

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 pm

Horse wrote:Congrats! Well done :)

Horse wrote:
jameslb101 wrote: "being too wobbly" on the U-turn.

Although this might seem a relatively minor point, it's well-worth correcting as it can have a significant effect on riding comfort, ease and safety.

Agreed, as and when I get a bike the first thing I'll do is look into advanced training - probably starting with an IAM course.

Horse wrote:Serious question: do you know 'how' and do you consciously practice, for all turns, counter-steering?

We did very little work on slow speed stuff, and although I understand the concept, didn't cover counter steering.

Horse wrote:
jameslb101 wrote: as I was was aiming to position for view, safety and stability as in a car but perhaps I was too 'extreme' in this on the rural sections.

Would you really place 'view' higher than 'safety'? That may be why the examiner was a bit meh about it :)

No, I don't think I said or implied I would either. I didn't go offside at all or position to the centre line on a blind bend, so it was hardly like I was actively putting myself into a position of danger.

Horse wrote:
jameslb101 wrote: One other thing; I thought I'd enjoy the 'rustic charm' and almost agricultural simplicity of a 125cc machine. In reality they're plain soulless, absent of any joy or sense of fun. Perhaps it was just that I was on a knackered one with a slipping clutch, but not having the oomph to top 60mph was frustrating to say the least.

One of my 'most fun ever' moments was overtaking a bored-looking gent in a 911 on the training scheme's Honda CG125 :) Flat out, downhill (the Honda, not the 911) with me laughing like a loon ;D

I can see the appeal, but didn't like not having any power in the bag to accelerate out of situations.
jameslb101

Postby jameslb101 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:29 pm

christopherwk wrote:Well done and congratulations!

What sort of bike are you planning to get?!

Thanks Chris :D

I won't be getting a bike immediately for a few reasons (namely financial and meteorological) but when I do I'm not quite sure. I'm not as encyclopaedic about bikes as I am with cars. I'm not keen on what I call "power ranger bikes" (sports bikes), cruisers or classics, but do like naked and streetfigher bikes. I'd also prefer a twin (or triple) to an IL4 as I wan't some torque. Whatever I choose, I'll need it to be restricted to 33bhp for the next two years but we'll have to see.
jameslb101

Postby jameslb101 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:46 pm

Quick update...2.5 years later

Finally got round to buying a bike last October, but decided not to ride it until I graduated from my restricted license in March. As per my desires I outlined when I passed my test, I went for a naked V-twin, in this case a 2000 Suzuki SV650.

Soon after I started the motorcycle IAM course, which I'm pleased to say I passed this afternoon :D

Also went to Bikesafe at Castle Combe a few weeks ago and tracked a two-wheeler for the first time - addictive!

jameslb101

Postby petes » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:11 pm

The main hidden expense of learning to ride a motorbike is usually the cost of dying.
petes

Postby Horse » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 am

petes wrote:The main hidden expense of learning to ride a motorbike is usually the cost of dying.

Surely the that would be down to forgetting or ignoring what you were taught?

And 'usually'? What a stupid thing to post . . . Actually, your whole post is stupid and insulting.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:24 am

With regret, this thread is now locked. PeteS, please heed the warnings you have been given. Everybody else, let's move on now. James, sorry.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum