Cost of learning to ride

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 02, 2012 9:02 am

For no particular reason, the idea of learning to ride a motorbike has been growing on me for the last few weeks. I've found lots of info on the various training, etc required but can't seem to find an overall impression of the total cost.

I guess that the following need to be considered:
1. Initial training - CBT, including hire of vehicle & kit
2. Full training for Cat A (i.e. if I'm going to gain an entitlement it may as well be the full one)
3. Clothing, helmet, etc required for safe and sensible riding
4. Cost of a bike
5. Cost of insurance, tax, etc to keep the bike on the road

Help anyone???

For info, I'm an IAMer with no motorbike experience, although do enjoy cycling.

P.S. @ admin - since there is a "Learning to Drive" forum, should there be an equivalent for bikes, or Cat C & Cat D vehicles for that matter?
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby christopherwk » Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Bearing in mind I learnt to ride about 8 years ago, and prices have probably gone upwards by then!

1. About £100 or so for the CBT

2. I did an intensive course, where I did the CBT on a Saturday, did the traning on Mon, Tue, Wed, with the test on Thursday morning. It was £400 all in. It included bike hire, helmet and clothing.

3. Obviously the best you can afford. About £150-£200 for a decent helmet, £50-£100 gloves (your hands will usually hit the ground first if you come off), £200 for trousers and jacket. I think those figures should be a minimum.

4. Depends what sort of bike you want, and how much you prepared to spend! From £200 maybe for something second hand to £20,000 for a 1600cc Honda Goldwing.

Spent about £3,000 on my first bike, a Honda XL125V Varadero. Though I did the full test, I couldn't afford the insurance on a "big" bike as I was 19 at the time. Had that for a year, got a years no claims, and bought what I'm riding now.

5. Insurance is probably about the same as a car, I found that it was very expensive initially but it does drop sharply once you build up no-claims. For my 600cc bike, it was £2,200 to insure with 1 years no-claims (when I was 20). Same bike with 7 years no claims is now £160 (with IAM Surety). Tax about £60 for mine. MOT is cheaper as well £30, I think.

There's also doing the theory test and hazard perception tests as well, and you should budget for a decent lock if you plan to leave it outside.
christopherwk

Postby Slink_Pink » Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for the guide. Clothing is somewhat more expensive than I'd imagined, but I'd not be willing to skimp - it's a small price to pay considering the alternatives. Also, am I right in assuming that the insurance would cover the cost of replacement clothing/protective gear in the event of an accident? It is, after all, a relatively large proportion of the cost of replacement if the bike itself is a fairly cheap second-hand one.

It is interesting to have a rough cost though. I'm not sure I can really justify bike ownership for the moment anyway, but might consider doing the test to gain entitlement before the new rules kick in. Then I could hopefully look at getting some refresher training and equipment in the future.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby jameslb101 » Wed May 02, 2012 11:32 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:I'm an IAMer with no motorbike experience, although do enjoy cycling.

Slink_Pink wrote:I'm not sure I can really justify bike ownership for the moment anyway, but might consider doing the test to gain entitlement before the new rules kick in

Snap!

Thanks for starting this thread Slink_Pink!
jameslb101

Postby christopherwk » Thu May 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Slink_Pink wrote:Also, am I right in assuming that the insurance would cover the cost of replacement clothing/protective gear in the event of an accident?

Yes, though on some insurance policies you may pay extra to cover damage to your clothing.

Another thing which is recommended is the wearing of earplugs. Disposable foam ones can be found on eBay for a few pounds, or it's worthwhile investing in custom fit ones.
christopherwk

Postby Slink_Pink » Thu May 03, 2012 8:06 pm

An excellent tip, and something I never would have thought of. I particularly like the ones on the link which could be used to connect into a two-way radio system as I expect that this would be useful on various occasions for training.
Slink_Pink

Postby exportmanuk » Fri May 04, 2012 9:31 am

Hi

Costs of equipment would depend on what you are looking for.

Helmets can cost from as little as £ 25.00 and are legal and safe. Several of the cheaper brands have a good reputation now such as HJC. If you wear glasses you may be better off with a flip front. I certainly find it easier.

Clothing Gloves Hein Gericke from around £ 50.00 boots from the same. Textile clothing such as buffalo and HG own branded stuff start at around £70.00 for trousers and £ 80.00 for the Jacket.

Ear plugs are a must if you are going to be riding from more than about 30 mins especially at higher speeds. Personally I have found some silicone ones designed to block out snoring work fine ( use the lower frequency insert) and they cost around £ 5.00 can be washed and will last at least 6 months

Hope this helps
exportmanuk

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue May 08, 2012 12:41 pm

Well I've researched a couple of local trainers in this neck of the woods and it's looking like £600-£700 mark for DAS course including CBT. So it looks like ~£750 will get a licence (assuming a pass) with another £500+ for bike, insurance and price of clothing you choose.
Slink_Pink

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:07 am

Can anyone recommend a good resource for the Hazard Perception? I don't know if it's the same for bikes as cars but in any case, it wasn't around when I did my driving theory test. I'm confident on the multiple choice section but have no experience whatsoever of the HP. I believe that it isn't difficult once you learn when to click.
Slink_Pink

Postby martine » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:55 pm

exportmanuk wrote:Helmets can cost from as little as £ 25.00 and are legal and safe.

:shock:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:42 pm

Anyone got any recommendations for training schools in Bristol or (Central/West) London?
jameslb101

Postby Slink_Pink » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:28 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for training schools in Bristol or (Central/West) London?

Similarly in Glasgow/Ayrshire?

From what I've seen there of a few companies offering DAS, there is only one who provide bike + full protective clothing for all training and test. Most only have gloves/helmet and not always for test either. Fine if intending to buy your own straight away but not ideal if, like me, I just want to get the qualification up front as I haven't the money to get a bike (and therefore no point in buying kit yet either).
Slink_Pink

Postby jont » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:35 pm

jameslb101 wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for training schools in Bristol or A (Central/West) London?

A couple of colleagues have done direct access in Bristol. I'll try and remember to ask next time I see them (holidays/WFH/travel means it can be a little while between catching up). If I don't get back to you in a week or so feel free to remind me by email.
jont

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm

jont wrote:
jameslb101 wrote:Anyone got any recommendations for training schools in Bristol or A (Central/West) London?

A couple of colleagues have done direct access in Bristol. I'll try and remember to ask next time I see them (holidays/WFH/travel means it can be a little while between catching up). If I don't get back to you in a week or so feel free to remind me by email.

Thanks Jon. Did a 'Get On' session with Ace (by Fowlers, now moved I think) so tempted to use them if I do do it. Somewhere in London might be useful though as a London-based family member has expressed an interest in doing it with me. Regardless, if I do it at all I'll need to get it done before the rules change in mid-Jan.
jameslb101

Postby christopherwk » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

If you're able to come my way, or head south towards Croydon, I used these: http://www.thinkbike.co.uk/

I can't think of any motorcycle schools in central London, though I'd imagine you would have to go further out to the suburbs to get the training done anyway, where space for the off-road parts of the course are required.
christopherwk

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum