Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby SamD » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:19 pm

Hello all

I'm Sam, live in Kent, I'm 30 and have been driving since 17. I'm slightly obsessed with cars but thankfully I've also developed an increasing interest in improving my driving. I suppose this has arisen through my dissatisfaction with the way some speed limits are enforced (yes I'm one of those) but the more I think about my driving the slower I tend to go...

I'm thinking about joining the IAM although time constraints make this difficult currently.

Its interesting to read the posts here and I've already learned a lot.
SamD

Postby vonhosen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:59 pm

Welcome to the forum :D
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:11 pm

Last edited by TripleS on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby SamD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:21 am

TripleS wrote:
SamD wrote:Hello all

I'm Sam, live in Kent, I'm 30 and have been driving since 17. I'm slightly obsessed with cars but thankfully I've also developed an increasing interest in improving my driving. I suppose this has arisen through my dissatisfaction with the way some speed limits are enforced (yes I'm one of those) but the more I think about my driving the slower I tend to go...

That odd, it doesn't seem to work like that with me. :evil:
Seriously though, what you may find is that as you think about things more you'll be slower in some situations and quicker in others. The important thing is to know how much speed is sensible in each situation, and then drive accordingly. I think quite a few of us here work on the basis that speed limits are generally not a good guide to the choice of an appropriate speed, so we use our own judgement either way, up or down, always trying to maintain safety but taking a bit of freedom as well.

Thanks. I think the point I was trying to make is that with;

-a few years of driving experience,
-a better (not comprehensive) understanding of the myriad of hazards that can crop up anywhere
-a greater sense of responsibility as I get older
-an honest admission that I'm fallible and prone to howling errors if I'm not careful, alert, methodical and self aware.

I'm far more selective about my use of speed.

I can't honestly say that a dry, clear, quiet, open section of m/way, d/c or nsl s/c will always see me assiduously sticking to the limit. However, I feel I'm no longer in denial about hazards and for example, something as simple as being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear takes quite a revision in your attitude to speed if you are to do it consistently.

TripleS wrote:
SamD wrote:
I'm thinking about joining the IAM although time constraints make this difficult currently.

OK that might be very good for you, but before finally deciding it might be worth considering other options. Plenty of people here can offer suggestions as to alternatives, depending on your general philosophy and approach to driving. The right choice here is important, and to get the best out of it you ought to seek tuition that suits you.

Thanks, nice to know there are alternatives. I think the key is to get an initial observed drive. Its the faults that I'm not aware of that frighten me the most.

TripleS wrote:
SamD wrote:Its interesting to read the posts here and I've already learned a lot.

That's really nice to hear. Enjoy yourself Sam, but take care.

Will do! Now I'm a Dad my priority is to get home in one piece. :)
SamD

Return to General Car Chat Forum