Volvo V70 T5 -opinions?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby SamD » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:48 pm

I'm increasingly needing the space of an estate and quite fancy the idea of a V70 T5. There appear to be some bargains on Ebay for ex-police T5s too. I understand they are very well maintained if a little low-spec and 'well-used'.

Given the fact that this is often the transport of choice for some police forces, I would be grateful for any insight, (although I would welcome the views of all...)
SamD

Postby Rick » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:52 pm

I have an 850 T5 and like it a lot. I got it to replace my Octavia Vrs and now i have got used to the weight and handling of it i really enjoy it. If economy is an issue for you i would probably look at something else. On shortish spirited runs i average around 18mpg. I have seen up to 28mpg on long journeys on motorways.

Look http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum/index.php and http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/? for advice.
Rick

Postby Porker » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:57 pm

I can't speak with any experience of the estate, but have driven an S6 T5 and enjoyed it a lot.

I think the key thing to appreciate with these is that their rhythm (if such a thing can be attributed to a car) is just a little slower than it will be for a more overtly sporting car, and you just need to take the time to let the car settle into its cornering (etc) stance rather than making rapid adjustments and expecting the car to adopt a balanced state immediately.

Porker
Porker

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:58 pm

If you can get a cheap one..go for it...

How much money do you have to play with?

If about 8,000£ and you after a super car....try..

www.taillights.net

Brilliant place..and super customer service....
Roadcraft

Postby SamD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:42 am

Many thanks for the comments. I'll take some time to look at the forums. I'm grateful for the reminder on the change in handling. I tend to be pretty careful in an unfamiliar car and build familiarity slowly however. I'm not a good enough driver to 'throw it into a corner and see what happens'.

Its not an imminent purchase. I have a Mk V Golf tdi lease car for work and my wife drives our Alfa 156. Neither cars really have the space for regular luggage stuffed family trips to Wales, B&Q/IKEA shopping trips etc. I was also brought up with Volvos so have a soft spot, even post Ford ownership. My Dad's 360 GLT taught me alot about rwd as a lad. Working for the NHS currently holds many uncertainties for the future and should I move base (if i still have a job... :cry:) I may not do the mileage to qualify for the Golf and would revert to being paid mileage, so fuel economy may not be too much of a concern.

I suppose £8k is a realistic max although I'm sure my wife would point out other 'cost-pressures'... :wink:
SamD

Postby TripleS » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:38 pm

Safety1st wrote:If you can get a cheap one..go for it...

www.taillights.net

Hmm, plug number 73 - are you on commission there S1 ? :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roadcraft » Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:51 pm

TripleS wrote:

www.taillights.net

Hmm, plug number 73 - are you on commission there S1 ? :D

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I wish...
Roadcraft

Postby SamD » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:41 pm

www.taillights.net

I love the look of big Avants with big wheels, I truly do...

The 130bhp version of my Golf's 1.9 is probably fairly grunty, the 2.5 tdi even more so.

But though I like the Ingolstadt image, £8k gets me 250bhp of Swedish turbo brick... "rusa iväg"

http://www.nmjmotorhouse.co.uk/pages/cars_set.htm

(look for the red T5 if its still there...yummy)
SamD

Postby Roadcraft » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:03 am

SamD wrote:But though I like the Ingolstadt image, £8k gets me 250bhp of Swedish turbo brick... "rusa iväg"

Nice car...

But with 250bhp, comes 18-23mpg....and it's petrol with 80,000 on the clock....

At that sort of mileage.....a diesel is a worthwhile safer gamble...

If you can find a D5, then that's worth the extra...
Roadcraft

Postby BillZZR600 » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:31 am

SamD wrote:
The 130bhp version of my Golf's 1.9 is probably fairly grunty, the 2.5 tdi even more so.

But though I like the Ingolstadt image, £8k gets me 250bhp of Swedish turbo brick... "rusa iväg"

SHMBO runs the 1.9 Tdi (130bhp sport) A3 and yes the grunt really surprised me, whilst still maintaining around 55+mpg average whilst making good "progress" What it woud be like in the Larger models though I couldnt say.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby madmoggy » Sun Jun 11, 2006 9:35 pm

BillZZR600 wrote:
SamD wrote:

SHMBO runs the 1.9 Tdi (130bhp sport) A3 and yes the grunt really surprised me, whilst still maintaining around 55+mpg average whilst making good "progress" What it woud be like in the Larger models though I couldnt say.

I run the A4 130 Td i sport saloon, and its plenty grunty for me. Running 3 blokes, 3 suitcases and 3 big kit bags to Cambridge from the northeast saw 57mpg, and notalot passing me. I'd imagine that for £8k you could get a good one (or an avant) and if the grunt isnt enough they are easily chipped up to as far as 180bhp for under £400. I havent bothered, 130 is enough for my needs.
madmoggy

Postby Nigel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:06 am

My mate has a V70 T5 estate, its an ok car, but nothing special, bit average, like the Audi's.

Have a look at the BM's and Merc,s at least they drive the correct wheels.

If you want to suffer front wheel drive, get something nice to drive that is cheap....look at the Rover 75 Touring, especially the diesel, absolute bargain prices.
Nigel

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:36 pm

Or if you fancy something run of the mill with decent handling, have a look at a nearly new Mondeo (either TDCI or V6). Loads of toys, bags of power and torque and a bargain if you pick them up after the bulk of their depreciation :D Running costs are cheap too....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:27 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Or if you fancy something run of the mill with decent handling, have a look at a nearly new Mondeo (either TDCI or V6). Loads of toys, bags of power and torque and a bargain if you pick them up after the bulk of their depreciation :D Running costs are cheap too....

Chris

but it's a ford at the end of the day..and everyone has one..

Go for something with a bit of panache, flair, flamboyancy...
Roadcraft

Postby TripleS » Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:47 pm

Safety1st wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:Or if you fancy something run of the mill with decent handling, have a look at a nearly new Mondeo (either TDCI or V6). Loads of toys, bags of power and torque and a bargain if you pick them up after the bulk of their depreciation :D Running costs are cheap too....

Chris

but it's a ford at the end of the day..and everyone has one..

No they haven't. I have to make do with a clapped out 406. :cry:

Safety1st wrote:Go for something with a bit of panache, flair, flamboyancy...

This advice comes to you without charge :roll: from the swashbuckling S1. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum