Speed Limits

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby philipn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Hello - I am new here. By way of introduction, I passed my IAM test about 3 years ago and would like to continue my progression.

I would always observe a 30mph speed limit but, hypothetically, how many here would diverge from a speed limit where it is safe and practical to do so?

There seem to be so many reduced speed limits these days where an ordinary driver is "encouraged" to speed as the nominated speed limit for the road is ridiculously low. I could name 10 examples without really thinking about it.

I am not expecting anybody to incriminate themselves but the clarification would be helpful.

Phil.
philipn

Postby jont » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 am

Would you expect anyone to admit they break the law on a public forum and condone (or even encourage) that behaviour in others?

We recently had a not-dissimilar discussion about breaking the speed limit while overtaking. All 31 pages ( :roll: ) of it are here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3885

If you think a speed limit is inappropriately low, please challenge your local council about it. If you read my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3271 about a road local to me, you will see how narrow minded and short sighted most councillors appear to be when it comes to road safety and how you end up with limits set inappropriately low.

To all the regulars, please can we keep this thread civil and to the point. I'd prefer not to end up locking it after a further 30 pages of going around in circles.

/Welcome to ADUK. Please don't let this put you off posting further questions!
jont

Postby Octy_Ross » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:10 pm

I guess I could simply state the speed limit sign that has a black line through it means I'll no longer follow the restriction of the limit that was in force previously...
Octy_Ross

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:I guess I could simply state the speed limit sign that has a black line through it means I'll no longer follow the restriction of the limit that was in force previously...

Yes when I was younger it meant end of restriction.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby PeterE » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:00 pm

Suffice to say that, given how unreasonably low many of the limits are nowadays, it is not exactly surprising that they are widely disregarded...
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby philipn » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:30 pm

Thanks for your answers. I understand that it was not the most practical question offered but there was no such inference of asking anyone to incriminate themselves; it was more about the response to speed limits which do not appear to be practical to the road. I am sorry if it caused any reaction as it wasn't intended that way.

Around my locality, we have been experiencing a drop in speed limits over he last six months; national to 40, 40 to 30 which appear to be at the whim of the local authority without consultation. I have seen the other threads on this and it is a similar situation.

A drop in speed limit does not necessarily mean the vast majority of the public drops their speed.

P.
philipn

Postby Ralge » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm

philipn wrote:Hello - I am new here. By way of introduction, I passed my IAM test about 3 years ago and would like to continue my progression.

I would always observe a 30mph speed limit but, hypothetically, how many here would diverge from a speed limit where it is safe and practical to do so?

There seem to be so many reduced speed limits these days where an ordinary driver is "encouraged" to speed as the nominated speed limit for the road is ridiculously low. I could name 10 examples without really thinking about it.

I am not expecting anybody to incriminate themselves but the clarification would be helpful.

Phil.

What makes a speed limit "ridiculously low", out of interest?
ABS? - when most drivers don't even know what ABS allows them to do whilst emergency braking.
Improved stopping distances from the HC? Who works with the HC table? Or with an alternative table? Drivers, pedestrians?
The fact that driving at 30 feels very slow in modern (armchair) cars? How slows does 30 feel in a go-kart?
Would you fancy being hit by a galloping horse?
Fleet ADI, RoSPA Dip, RoADTest examiner.
Ralge

Postby kfae8959 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 am

Ralge wrote:What makes a speed limit "ridiculously low", out of interest?

I had understood Phil to be relating speed to vision and hazard density. That's what I'd do.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby michael769 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am

Ralge wrote:
What makes a speed limit "ridiculously low", out of interest?

We (in theory) live in a democracy with due process. In such a place the law should only be used to restrict our freedoms when it is necessary to protect us as individuals or where there is a significant benefit to society as a whole.

Speed limits are clearly an important protection as sadly a minority of drivers will refuse to self-regulate and behave responsibly - but they need to be set appropriately so that they comply with the goal I set out in paragraph one.

Any speed limit that is lower that is necessary to set an appropriate balance between safety and the benefits that we as individuals and society gain from being able to move about quickly and efficiently, or which does not provide some other significant benefit to society (for example noise control in urban areas or mitigating the severing of communities) is an unwarranted infringement of our democratic freedoms and as such is ridiculously low.

I'll get off my soap box now....
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Octy_Ross » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:47 am

Speed limit here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wooton ... 3,,0,-2.88

30mph.

Anyone want to give a good reason for it to be that low?

I've been overtaken whilst doing the posted speed limit on this stretch of road...
Last edited by Octy_Ross on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Octy_Ross

Postby PeterE » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:53 am

Ralge wrote:What makes a speed limit "ridiculously low", out of interest?

A speed limit that is significantly lower than the speed at which you, as an advanced driver, would choose to drive if the road had no speed limit apart from NSL - the link in the previous post being a good example.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby michael769 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 am

Octy_Ross wrote:

I can see buildings through the trees on the left and the housing on the right is visible in the initial like. Could it be to prevent the two areas being "severed" by fast moving traffic. Another possibility is to reduce noise impact on the nearby housing.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am

Octy_Ross wrote:Anyone want to give a good reason for it to be that low?

Possibly to allay the fears of locals?
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:32 am

Gareth wrote:
Octy_Ross wrote:Anyone want to give a good reason for it to be that low?

Possibly to allay the fears of locals?

I was struck by what a potentially useful report that was - the British public are, it seems, still capable of providing very sensible input when someone takes the trouble to ask them. I wonder how much of it was actually incorporated in the eventual development plans - it's now over 4 years since it was published.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Octy_Ross » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:08 pm

michael769 wrote:
Octy_Ross wrote:

I can see buildings through the trees on the left and the housing on the right is visible in the initial like. Could it be to prevent the two areas being "severed" by fast moving traffic. Another possibility is to reduce noise impact on the nearby housing.

As far as I know there is no footpath running perpendicular to this road. On the right (as per the link I posted it goes road, little verge, footpath, fence, green shrubbery, fence, gardens+houses on the left it goes, verge, fence, field (sometimes with horses!).

I don't recognise a large difference in noise from cars at 30 or 50 - but perhaps the 30 limit is in place to disuade people from using the road in the 1st place.
Octy_Ross

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum