PistonHeads doesn't like the AD message.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby dombooth » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:33 pm

jameslb101 wrote:
ROG wrote:I do like the look of those pimped up cars though - very nice - but I am more interested in the drivers and where they are coming from.....

PS - after reading many posts on PH it may surprise many of you that the majority are very clued up and sensible on their attitudes towards driving issues

PH attracts all sorts (the 'PH scale' if you will) but I haven't noticed much in the 'pimped up' variety...

Just from the bits I look at from time to time (mainly the bad parking thread :lol: ) I don't tend to see much, if any chaviness.

@ROG If you like tastefully modified cars have a look at here.

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby 7db » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:26 pm

I enjoy PH. There's a broad spectrum of views and abilities to understand AD and a lot of volume. There's plenty to be learnt providing you figure out what you think rather than blindly entrusting your thinking to someone on the other side of a screen. I find it clarifies my thinking when arguing out points with people, although some of the debates can be a little robust.
7db

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:59 am

Well, it appears I was banned for "cross posting" across forums. That was my just trying to reinforce my point.

I take on board what others here have said but I still feel that the journalists who provide the "magazine" content should have an AD qualification .

Especially as there are many threads complaining about how others drive. If the journalists then posted on those threads and suggested that AD can provide the means to accommodate those others it might be that more members there would consider an AD course.

Despite those there who do appreciate an AD approach, it does appear to me that most think "flat cap and driving gloves".

What really irks me is the lack of understanding that AD provides the means to safer roads. Those safer roads would, or should, mean less of the increasing lowering of limits.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby hir » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:58 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Well, it appears I was banned for "cross posting" across forums. That was my just trying to reinforce my point.

Why is "cross posting" so heinous a crime that it brings forth the wroth of those with absolute power who then see fit to punish the crime with banishment for ever?

Incidentaly, what is "cross posting" anyway?
hir

Postby Gareth » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:21 am

hir wrote:Incidentaly, what is "cross posting" anyway?

Posting the same message to multiple fora. The term comes from when newsgroups were the main format for group discussion, and then it was easy to post the same message to a large number of newsgroups.

The main point is that there is generally one forum that is generally the best location for a particular message. So, if there is a forum for advanced driving related matters, then that is where messages relating to it should go. People generally won't want to see messages relating to advanced driving in other fora, except when advanced driving is incidental to the main point(s) of the message.

The reason is that if any message can be placed in any forum there is no point in have fora for specific special interests, hence the opprobrium directed at those who flout this convention.
Last edited by Gareth on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am

And that's ban-worthy? Sheesh. On my forum we'd just tidy up, and have a quiet word if it happened again.
7db

Postby GJD » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm not sure of the context here? Was your first post in this thread on PH a reply to something or just something you threw out there?

WhoseGeneration wrote:Despite those there who do appreciate an AD approach, it does appear to me that most think "flat cap and driving gloves".

If that's the perception, I can imagine it not being appealing to a lot of PHers.
GJD

Postby TripleS » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Well I didn't know what "cross posting" meant, so I'm obliged to Gareth for his explanation. I also agree with David (7db) that it hardly seems to be a particularly serious matter. It looks like PH getting a bit heavy handed......again! :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby hir » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:40 pm

TripleS wrote: It looks like PH getting a bit heavy handed......again! :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.

As Lord Acton put it...Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Oh to have the absolute power to exclude anyone I choose - anyone who disagreed with me, anyone who upset me, anyone who signs themselves... Best wishes all [particularly annoying is that one!]

No, no, no, I mustn't let this idea go to my head otherwise I'll end up being as petty as those in Another Place.
hir

Postby WhoseGeneration » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:40 pm

GJD wrote:I'm not sure of the context here? Was your first post in this thread on PH a reply to something or just something you threw out there?

WhoseGeneration wrote:Despite those there who do appreciate an AD approach, it does appear to me that most think "flat cap and driving gloves".

If that's the perception, I can imagine it not being appealing to a lot of PHers.

It wasn't a reply but a genuine challenge, because I had thought that challenges were something motoring journalists thrived on, such as, "Best handling car of year whichever".

There are the plethora of threads there bemoaning the behaviour of other drivers, the cost of insurance for new and young drivers, yet the "leaders" of the 'site provide no input to or mention of the means to change that.

Which is, perhaps, why the "flat cap and driving gloves" general feeling is prevalent, despite the best efforts of those who know better.

Anyway, as I said in that thread, BRAKE will win and we'll be reduced to ever lowered limits, providing many jobs for those with a vested interest in fines and courses.

I have read some posts here, on an AD forum no less, that imply dissastifaction with how the main AD organisations are responding to BRAKE's output, so, my view is that the more the AD message is digested and advertised in the more mainstream motoring media the better.

I merely tried to influence that, more fool me.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:42 pm

I read both your original "Challenge" thread, and the "So sad" one that you followed it up with, and in both cases you seem to have set out to challenge them in a way that is never very nice to submit to as a moderator, doing a thankless job voluntarily for no reward. Phrases such as "I'm wasting my time though, aren't I", and "time to go and look for somewhere more libertarian" suggest that you have a preconception about the moderating team, that they were happy to fulfil for you when you pushed hard enough. I've been a moderator on a large car forum, and this sort of thing happens regularly. Perhaps the PH team were more sensitive than most in this case, but sometimes a hard line is the best policy - dragging out the process just means they have to listen to more abuse. It's a bit like being a policeman subjected to derogatory names, initially just annoying, eventually annoying enough to make them do something about it.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby TripleS » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:I have read some posts here, on an AD forum no less, that imply dissastifaction with how the main AD organisations are responding to BRAKE's output, so, my view is that the more the AD message is digested and advertised in the more mainstream motoring media the better.

I merely tried to influence that, more fool me.

I know just how you feel; I've been in the same sort of situation, though it has nothing to do with driving.

You believe something to be wrong, so you draw attention to it and try to do something to improve matters: you are trying to be constructive.

All it takes is one or two of the moaners - who don't actually try to improve anything themselves - to get their knickers in a knot when you put a foot wrong and do something in a way they're not quite happy about, and it's you that's in the firing line.

You might as well leave them to it, they're not worth it.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:I read both your original "Challenge" thread, and the "So sad" one that you followed it up with, and in both cases you seem to have set out to challenge them in a way that is never very nice to submit to as a moderator, doing a thankless job voluntarily for no reward. Phrases such as "I'm wasting my time though, aren't I", and "time to go and look for somewhere more libertarian" suggest that you have a preconception about the moderating team, that they were happy to fulfil for you when you pushed hard enough. I've been a moderator on a large car forum, and this sort of thing happens regularly. Perhaps the PH team were more sensitive than most in this case, but sometimes a hard line is the best policy - dragging out the process just means they have to listen to more abuse. It's a bit like being a policeman subjected to derogatory names, initially just annoying, eventually annoying enough to make them do something about it.

I don't see why the Moderators had to get involved, I posted a challenge to the 'site admin, ie, Haymarket motoring journalists, in the relevant subforum.
Part of the point was to see if they would respond, in that subforum, thus showing whether they ever looked there.
I also moderate on a forum, albeit not motoring and there Moderators' only concern is with regard to law and spamming.
Then, I started my motoring forum involvement, way back, on ScoobyNet, then a lively, fun place covering all aspects of owning Subarus with discussion of many other things. SN was then sold to a commercial organisation and it became a shadow of its former self.
So, as suggested by some on SN, I migrated to PH, which then, shortly after, was also bought by a commercial organisation.
There's a pattern here perhaps.
I used to, on SN, try to push the AD message giving my view that it's all about the thinking approach, not the blind adherence to technique.
Thing is, unless the mainstream motoring influences get behind some form of AD, we will see much more restrictions upon the use of cars.
The videos of the jounalists, sideways on track, will be used by such as BRAKE in their presentations to Government.
Come on, we all here could write BRAKE's presentation for them.
Those who are pro driving need to wake up and recognise the potential future.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:37 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:I don't see why the Moderators had to get involved, I posted a challenge to the 'site admin, ie, Haymarket motoring journalists, in the relevant subforum.

Unless I misread, it looked like you posted it in "Website feedback". Pretty much every forum has one of those, and usually the intent is that it be used to report technical issues, suggestions for improvements to the site, etc. I doubt if it's any different on PH, or that it represents a direct path of communication to the parent company, rather it's a medium for discussing the forum itself. The rest of the threads in there appear to bear out this point of view. Maybe that was another contributing factor.

You don't say when you were banned - presumably it was some time after posting the "so sad" thread, so really - nothing to do with the AD one per se, at all.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby WhoseGeneration » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:01 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Unless I misread, it looked like you posted it in "Website feedback".

No, I posted my topic in Advanced Driving, a Moderator moved it to Website Feedback and that started my complaint.
There were some, appreciating my point, who supported me, alas that was not enough for the heavy hand of the corporate denial of an attempt to distribute the AD message.
Then, what's the membership here or on the other AD 'Sites? A miniscule number of the drivers in the UK.
With, as I have now proved, no interest from one mainstream motoring 'Site in increasing that number.
WhoseGeneration

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum