My IAM Trainee Observer "blog"

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jibberjabber25 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Hello! I thought I should just let you all know that as of 15:30 today I am now an IAM MEMBER!!! :D

Feeling great at the moment! Here's to safe driving for life! Cheers!

A special thanks goes out to James Allport for the help and of course my observer (who I won't name).
Last edited by jibberjabber25 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:58 pm

Well done JibberJabber :D So what's next? :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby MikeG » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:09 pm

Excellent news Jibber, Congratulations
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby Prelude » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:12 pm

Congrats Jibberjabber, keep up the good work and don't let ScoobyChris 'bully' you prematurely into anything else yet, until any euphoria has elapsed at least!
:)

Well Done.
Prelude

Postby vonhosen » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Well done :D
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:25 am

Congrats!
Rick

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:32 am

Well done that man. :D
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:24 am

Good stuff well done!!
brianhaddon

Postby TripleS » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:05 am

Many congratulations JJ.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Nigel » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:07 am

Congratulations Jibber, well done that man.

If you have the time to spare, and want to put something back into the organisation that has taught you, get involved with your local group, as a youngster yourself you may be able to convince other youngsters to have a go.
Nigel

Postby JamesAllport » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:08 am

Well done. :D Did you enjoy it?

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby martine » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:20 am

Excellent - you always seemed to have the right attitude so I'm not surprised.

Perhaps it would be an idea to post a description of your test from your point of view - as a guide for others? Could become a sticky?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:15 pm

JJ thats excellent news, congratulations.

I'm also extremely pleased because I think JJ is one of our longest subscribers and has used the site to gain information and education by other others, even arranging drive's out to help prepare him for test standard.

Well done, now your understanding of the principles have been proven by passing the test under scrutiny from a PC1, your chances of learning more due to being open minded are much more likely.

I'm really pleased for you JJ, great work.
Darren

Postby jibberjabber25 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:06 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words. Yes, this forum was a big help to me. I am very thankful.

To James: Well I was a bit nervous during the test itself and couldn't wait for it to be over and to get the result! :lol: That's mostly because I don't really enjoy being scrutinsed on an oral examination. Thank you again for you help. :)

To Nigel: Yes, I will give something back by becoming an observer in due course! :) Just once being an IAM MEMBER has sinked in! :lol: I don't know how much it will encourage youngsters to join the organisation (I'm not your typical youngster - a bit boring) but I'll do my best. I have had some luck with a friend of mine, she is attending some of the monthly meetings which is something! I believe that she'll find herself as an associate sooner of later.

To Martine: However, I have to say, the exam was not too different from an observed drive. The only difference being that of course the examiner offered minimal guidance and that I had to on 2 occasions describe the sign that we had just passed.

Also, I had to do ONE manoeuvre (reverse around the corner) during the test. I think that the reason for this is that I performed a reverse bay park into the pub car park before the test. My examiner saw this and gave me a thumbs up before the test had started. I assume that he took this as one of the manouevres already performed?

After the test was over (which lasted just under 90 minutes) the examiner read out all my faults. There were quite a few, so I thought that I had failed at this point, he did seem quite annoyed about a few of my faults. Anyway, he then said "I have no hesitation to recommend you for membership to the IAM"... I then said, "Oh, I thought I had failed because of all the faults that you were reading out there!" He replied "they're only comments, no-one's a perfect driver".

When I let my observer know that I passed and I told him which examiner I had, he did let me know that this particular examiner was very hard to please and that I must've done well for him to pass me. :shock: :lol: (To those who are associates...it is good practice to let your observer know that you have passed personally, as (in my group anyway) they have no other way of knowing apparently). That's it basically.

Finally, to any associates: There's nothing more to it, drive how you were taught to drive by your observer and keep the nerves at bay, don't feel that you need to do anything more or less to impress your examiner and you will pass! :)
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby Roadcraft » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:37 pm

well done you member :wink:
Roadcraft

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum