Motoring plans for 2013?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Silk » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 am

martine wrote:Anyone planning on changing cars or taking extra training or doing a motoring challenge/holiday in 2013?

For me, I'm quite happy with the Focus ST but I am tempted to have a go at the IAM 'Masters' test. I also ought to get DSA Fleet registered.

I quite fancy getting a pure 'Sunday car' like an MX5 - but I'm not sure my wife would be so enthusiastic.

Anyone else?

Now I have a more "lively" car, I'm starting to think I need to get some kind of extra training, but HPC doesn't really appeal to me. If I were to take another test, I was thinking more along the lines of retaking the IAM test but aiming for a F1rst as a minimum, which wasn't available when I took my original test. I think I'd be quite happy with that. The Masters is an idea, but it seems a bit expensive.

Of course, what I'd really like to see in 2013 is some kind of official recognition for an Advanced Driving qualification. Ultimately, an extra line on the Driving Licence. I wouldn't necessarily go as far as it giving extra privileges, just some acknowledgement. If anyone were to start a campaign, I'd support it.

I'm also looking forward to my next "victim", now I'm back on the Observer team.
Silk

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 pm

Motoring plans for 2013?

None really, it'll just be more of the same; except that I'm going to have to put my hand in my pocket to get the tin worm dealt with on the 406.

It's a shame because I'm perfectly happy with the car, and it's in very good form mechanically, and it drives pleasantly......which is more than I do, some would say! :roll:

I don't want to go through all the hassle of seeking another car, because I haven't a clue as to what else I might like. I'm just not that interested in cars generally, and certainly not a new one. I've now had this one for almost 12 years and I was hoping it would keep going long enough for me, but it might not. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mike H » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm

Plans for 2013…

More than happy with the cars – the Leon Cupra as the day car and the MGTF as the weekend toy. OH has just picked up a new Audi A1 so we have plenty of choice, including the motorhome!

I’d like to include more track days in the MG – only managed one this year, and to include a road trip to one of the European F1’s. I didn’t get to either the FOS or Revival this year, so one or both next year would be good, although FOS dates are a bit up in the air at the moment following Bernie’s trick of re-scheduling the F1 dates having previously fixed them.

Similarly missed the Le Mans classic this year, so that’s on the list for 2014 now.

Have a road trip to Wales booked with some MG friends in May and we’ll probably fix a European trip in the Motorhome some time late summer.

A change in circumstances should mean I have some free weekends after Easter, so hopefully that will allow me to sample some ADUK days!!!
IAM; RoADAR
Mike H

Postby Gumby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:47 pm

IAM Skills day, probably the March one.. Really want to learn how to drive on a track so I can start doing track days later on in the year
Gumby

Postby kfae8959 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:30 am

Gumby wrote:IAM Skills day [...] Really want to learn how to drive on a track

Will an IAM Skills Day help with that?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby slicknic » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 pm

For 2013 the fleet will stay the same, especially as they are both new.

Like Martin I may consider doing the IAM Masters - Andy Poulton sent an email this weekend which makes it a bit more tempting.

If Kodak makes me redundant then I might have an opportunity to do something completely different. I have provisionally applied for a Driver Trainer position in Iraq. Spending 8 weeks there at a time with 4 weeks off in between.
Bristol IAM Group - IMI National Observer
slicknic

Postby brianhaddon » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:57 pm

dombooth wrote:
brianhaddon wrote:Get my car working properly ----Then more driver training and I am going to try and get on my first ADUK day - Any in the Midlands?
Regards
Brian Haddon

There is this one Brian: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4075

I'm going so could convoy down?

Dom

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier Dom. Thanks for the offer I did consider it erlier but think it may come too early for me to get the car working 100%. I'll keep me eyes open for more though.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby dombooth » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:08 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
dombooth wrote:
brianhaddon wrote:Get my car working properly ----Then more driver training and I am going to try and get on my first ADUK day - Any in the Midlands?
Regards
Brian Haddon

There is this one Brian: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4075

I'm going so could convoy down?

Dom

Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier Dom. Thanks for the offer I did consider it erlier but think it may come too early for me to get the car working 100%. I'll keep me eyes open for more though.
Regards
Brian Haddon

Okay no worries, if you want to come as a passenger I'm sure you'd be more than welcome. :)

Dom
Dominic Booth
Chesterfield IAM Chairman & Webmaster
IAM F1RST & RoADAR Gold

ALL OF MY POSTS ARE OF MY OPINION ONLY AND NOT THAT OF MY GROUP UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED.
dombooth

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:03 pm

brianhaddon wrote:
Regards
Brian Haddon

Okay no worries, if you want to come as a passenger I'm sure you'd be more than welcome. :)

Dom[/quote]

Brian, there should be some HPC insured cars going so this might be viable.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby jameslb101 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:37 pm

jcochrane wrote:
dombooth wrote:
brianhaddon wrote:
Regards
Brian Haddon

Dom

Brian, there should be some HPC insured cars going so this might be viable.

Yep, as organiser I can happily accommodate this arrangement and get something sorted out for you.

No pressure though :wink:
jameslb101

Postby brianhaddon » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:19 pm

jameslb101 wrote:
jcochrane wrote:Brian, there should be some HPC insured cars going so this might be viable.

Yep, as organiser I can happily accommodate this arrangement and get something sorted out for you.

No pressure though :wink:

Thanks for the kind offers. I need to think seriously about this - it is very tempting. I shall post a proper response in the other thread. With regard to HPC - I am hoping for more involvement this coming year including a day with a gatekeeper.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:03 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Hoping to have a general change around in the Chomondeley-Warner fleet, but will need to save up some money first.

It took longer than expected, but the first half of the fleet reorganisation was completed last month, with the sale of the Alfa, and the acquisition of this magnificent vehicle:

The second half will complete when I get back from holiday in a couple of weeks' time.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby GJD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Hoping to have a general change around in the Chomondeley-Warner fleet, but will need to save up some money first.

It took longer than expected, but the first half of the fleet reorganisation was completed last month, with the sale of the Alfa, and the acquisition of this magnificent vehicle:

Now who could possibly have influenced you to choose one of those? :)
GJD

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm

I don't know anybody else with a 308 :?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:34 pm

If it's anything like my 208 to drive you should enjoy it.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum