Re:Scratches, Scuff marks

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby gep » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:08 pm

Hello All, just wondering whether you know a 100% Fix for removing Scratches and Scuff marks. (except for respraying)

I got fence paint on my car in a few places, so i used a green pad filled with washing-up liquid to gentle rub each part.
I did not notice because of the suds the round and long scuff marks and Crop circles on my car till washing it off. :oops:

I purchased SCRATCH X G10307EU ( 7 Oz. ) from MotorWorld

Guaranteed to be the most effective way to remove fine scratches and swirls from automotive paint by hand, Scratch X removes light surface contaminants, oxidation and blemishes while it enhances paint colour and clarity. Scratch X is not a cover up and will not cause additional scratches to your surface.

It has Not removed any scrathes, marks, swirls etc at all.

Any Cheapish Recommendations please.

My Wifes had a good go at me already, so don't you laugh as well. :cry:

Thanks, GEP
gep

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:17 pm

Get a touch up paint kit from your dealer and paint it in as neatly as possible.

When painting make sure that you build up enough paint through as many coats as it takes so that the paint you apply is slightly higher than the rest of the car body. Leave it like that for however long it takes the pint to fully harden, this will be writen on the tin, it's usualy a couple of weeks. Once it's hardened get some 1500 wet and dry paper and a bucket a small container with soapy watter, use only car shampoo as houshold detergents normaly contain salt which you don't want to massage into your steel car. Get a flat sanding block and wrap the wet & dry paper round that and use it wet to flaten the paintwork you've done, you may take a little of the surrounding coat of once you're there and that's perfect.
At this stage you should clean the repair area and allow it to dry. Once dry get sone T-cut and polish the repair area to a shine. Once this is done get some wax and polish the repair to protect the shine.

The main factor in how the repair will look is how much time you spend on it.

Good luck. :D
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby gep » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:17 pm

Hello MiniClubmanEstate, thanks for your reply, GEP
gep

Postby James » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:07 pm

When I was a kid I thought I was doing the right thing when I used a scouring pad to wash and scrub my mums new Mazda MX6. When it dried the bonnet became a milky concoction of permanant deep swirls. Depending on how much damage you have done, it may be irrepairable. If it is light damage though, good old fashioned T-Cut and parience should do it!
James

Postby Maximum Bob » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:49 pm

gep wrote:Any Cheapish Recommendations please.

My Wifes had a good go at me already, so don't you laugh as well. :cry:

Thanks, GEP

Try this:

http://www.merproducts.com/acatalog/Scr ... l.html#a17

I've used it numerous times on my car to remove light scratches, deep bumper scuffs, and even a cycle handlebar scratch along most of the length of the car. There are numerous reviews for it on the net if you want some more info. You'd be advised to buy some Mer polish to finish off the job.
Maximum Bob

Postby twistyfing » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:44 am

Brown sauce (for chips etc.) Cheaper than T-cut ;)

- I once knew someone who restored old steam engines and this is what they used on the paintwork. I used it myself many moons ago on my first car and brought up the finish lovely ( as above with t-cut tho you need to apply elbow grease...)
twistyfing

Postby 7db » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:06 pm

gep wrote:My Wifes had a good go at me already, so don't you laugh as well. :cry:

I feel your pain.
7db

Postby Renny » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Try Autoglym Paint Renovator. It is slightly more abrasive than normal polishes and I've used it successfully to take out scrapes on the side of a car.

Use long straight movements to polish rather than circular ones to avoid swirl marks, use finer "normal" polish after, then seal with wax or other sealant. Have a look at

http://www.cleanandshiny.co.uk/

or

http://site.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

for more help
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Return to General Car Chat Forum