Got a senior grade...must get commentary better

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:24 pm

Hello all.

I've scrapped throung my senior test today.

Commentary was my weak point, this has been pointed out to me before, by David Wornham, my mentor.

I'm not sure how to correct this, advice anyone ?
Nigel

Postby James » Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:54 pm

Did he explain why he said this? What sort of commentrray would you normally give? What would you say and swhen would you say it?

I am happy to provide commentary suggestion for any scenario you give me, no matter how many you throw! Let me start you off;

Let's say you have just been told to start commentary. Relax, don't panic, set the scene.

"We are on a single lane carriageway with 2 lanes in each direction, subject to a 30 mph speed limit."

"Mirror's, there is one car behind me at a reasonable distance"

"The road is dry, level and good. The road is seperated by hazard lines".

"Mirror's".

"Lifting my vision I can see..." and on goes the commentary associated with the drive...
James

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:21 pm

He said my comentary was patchy, sometimes I told him everything, sometimes nothing.

I'm in a slightly different postition to you, where I've got to give a reasonable one, but not put the associate off by making it so slick they think they can't attain it.

I didn't enjoy the experience, which to me must mean I'm struggling at this level...looks like I've more work to do.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:06 pm

Nigel wrote:I've got to give a reasonable one, but not put the associate off by making it so slick they think they can't attain it.

This is always a problem... but far better to give a full commentary and explain to the "potential associate" that they will build up to this through time rather than leave blanks which might be misinterpreted.

It's slightly different for me, conducting Bike Senior Ob's, as Commentary is not mandatory (as radios are at a groups' discretion as they are not supplied by the IAM).

If you want to chat, call or PM me etc. :?:
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby waremark » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:12 pm

I don't think you should limit your commentary to what is achieveable in the short term by the associate. Giving a commentary during a demo drive is a major teaching tool - illustrating as many as possible of the things they should be thinking about. There is more chance of them taking such things in when you are driving than when they are. And you would be showing them the sort of commentary which they might be aiming for at a later stage. But I understand you do not want the associate to be discouraged, so do tell them that you have had to put in a lot of practise to get your commentary to this level.

If you want to pick up commentary ideas, I recommend the commentary DVD's from Hugh Noblett of Cadence and from Mark Kendrick of Bespoke Driver Training http://www.bespokedrivertraining.co.uk/ ... ry_dvd.htm
Mark's illustrates three different styles which is helpful.

I hope you'll enjoy working on your commentary.
waremark

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:33 pm

Thanks for the link.

Malvern ?, I only live down the road, do you know these people ?
Nigel

Postby PeteG » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:03 pm

I practiced my commentary when taking my mum shopping today... took a scenic route home, and kept it going as much as I could. First time I've ever kept any sort of flow to it, normally with my observer I go off on another point and forget all about the comentary. :D
Still needs work, just think it'll be nice if I can put a bit of commentary in when I come to my Roadar test...
PeteG

Postby JamesH » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:13 pm

I was (effectively) criticised for not doing any commentary in my RoSPA test. Whenever practising though, I still feel like a complete twit - even on my own!
JamesH

Postby waremark » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:54 pm

Nigel wrote:Malvern ?, I only live down the road, do you know these people ?

I don't know Mark Kendrick personally, but he is a member of HPC and has a good reputation as a trainer and as a nice bloke.
waremark

Postby AdamW » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:04 pm

Well done Nigel.
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Lady Godiva » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:12 pm

hpcdriver wrote:Giving a commentary during a demo drive is a major teaching tool - illustrating as many as possible of the things they should be thinking about.

Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. One my very first observed run ever, I drove first, then the Observer offered to do a demo drive. I agreed, so she did it...without commentary...and it meant absolutely nothing. I had no idea what she was doing, why she was doing it, or when she did it.

I was left extremely disapointed, as we drove around for 1/2 hour, with me sat in the passenger seat not knowing what was going on.

Please, always let the Associate know what is happening very very clearly. I would have welcomed a commentary, as not only would it have told me what was being done, I would have known what to do when I was asked to do a commentary.
Lady Godiva

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Lady Godiva wrote:I was left extremely disapointed, as we drove around for 1/2 hour, with me sat in the passenger seat not knowing what was going on.

Could not agree more... bit of a waste of 30 minutes :(
Lady Godiva wrote:Please, always let the Associate know what is happening very very clearly. I would have welcomed a commentary, as not only would it have told me what was being done, I would have known what to do when I was asked to do a commentary.

Spot on. Education by Example :) .
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby martine » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:16 pm

A belated 'well done' Nigel. Senior is something I'd like to do but just too busy at the moment to commit to it. Was the test done by your IAM staff examiner?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Nigel » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:23 pm

Our staff IAM examiner Martin
Nigel

Postby martine » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:26 pm

Not the one and only Andy Poulton? Fine chap (he's probably 'listening'!).
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum