Prestige Car Hire

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:29 am

vonhosen wrote:
rlmr wrote:OK the 3.0 24v Senator was a quick car, but it was certainly not as agile on the back roads :) . It could be quite perturbing to the first time driver as the full power kicked in quick briskly causing a few unintentional tail slides :roll:.

Rennie

Unintentional.......................?
Intentional.........................Yep :D

Good grief, some of you fellows ought to be locked up!!

Best wishes all,
Dave - exits muttering about irresponsible young tearaways. :roll:
TripleS

Postby BillZZR600 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:51 pm

MikeG wrote:Slightly off topic but a friend of mine had a Vauxhall Royale (Coupe version of the mk1 Senator) and complained about the fuel consumption. He took it to a tuning company where they put it on a rolling road and set it up for him, then he moaned 'coz it used even more fuel. :lol:

Sometime later he started messing with the carburettor (remember them) and could'nt get it to start. I had a look and the float chamber was empty so I told him to get some fuel from his petrol mower. After we topped the chamber up it fired straight away, but it was like pulling the plug out of the bath the way it gurgled away. :lol: :lol:

Previously he had a Wolsey 1800 (LandCrab) which he traded in for the Royale. A year or so later his new car needed some rear brake pads. On the shelf in his garage he had a box of front pads for the Wolsey so of he went to the Motor Parts Supplier and asked if he could have a refund. They gave him £5 back. He then asked for a set of rear pads for the Royale. Off toddled the parts man to the back room and came back with the required items, my mate took one look at the box and said they are the ones he had just had a refund on. "Yes Sir" they are the ones you need" and charged him about £25. :lol: :lol: :lol: True

Mike

:lol:
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Susie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:42 pm

<de-lurk> :D
Well, now that all the pre-nuptials, nuptials and post-nuptials :shock: are done and dusted, I can stick my head above the parapet :lol:

This thread has discussed the various offerings in our stable and it seems that several of our steeds have been mentioned specifically in despatches -

I'd disagree with PD that automatics/tiptronics are a waste of time and uninspiring - one of the challenges is to try and 'change gear' as smoothly as you can imho; matching road speed with the new gear through a timed and held 'blip' is probably more difficult to get spot-on in the 320 CDI Estate than in either the Caterham or the Senator. The Über Barge (tm) has also been round several tracks, including Bruntingthorpe's long circuit but probably the most challenging outing was round the Sprint Course at Curborough :shock:

As (I think) Gareth has already said,the majority of us are restricted on our upper speeds nowadays - most of us don't carry the necessary dispensation papers from The Home Office - but that doesn't preclude us from enjoying our driving. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge can drive quickly in a straight liine. With a bit more knowledge, they can normally slow down sufficiently before the hazard that always features at the end of the straight section. But where we 'ordinary folk' can concentrate our efforts, is through building a solid foundation of all the other aspects of driving which don't involve trying to push the right foot out through the bulkhead.

The 3.0L, 24V Senator, bless her, has been likened to an aging lady who, once she's lifted her skirts, sure can run. The power, in a certain rev range (trade secret) :wink: just seems to keep on delivering - but you can't rush anything. Try and change gear too quickly and she'll baulk. Fail to use throttle or brake without sympathy and she lets you know how displeased she is. Turn into a corner without first giving her a hint of what you'd like her to do and she'll act like a stubborn mule. That, to my mind is a driver's car. You have to work with her to get her to show you her best.

Similarly, driving the Caterham is like wearing a favourite frock to a special party. She knows what's going on 'under the bodice' and if you listen and 'feel' what she's telling you - the two-way conversation is mesmerising. Ignore what's she says and she'll spit you out like a cherry pip into the nearest clump of bushes. Caterhams may 'handle like a go-kart' in the right hands but if you behave like an unruly teenager when driving them, it can all end in tears. Drive them badly and you'll end up needing a permanent supply of ibuprofen or even a visit to the orthopaedic surgeon. They really make you work at searching out uneven or changes in road surface; you have to scan even harder to make sure you've spotted everything - and you have to really make sure you've been seen by other road users.

Give me a car that needs driver input any day over one of the modern offerings packed full of gizmos. I want to be an active part in the process - not sitting in an arm chair with telly and remote control. I certainly don't want a car that corrects my steering, dictates my following distance or doesnt allow me the option of using power to re-create my safety cushion if someone else has committed highway robbery.

Best wishes
Susie :)
Susie

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:10 pm

Susie wrote:<de-lurk> :D
Well, now that all the pre-nuptials, nuptials and post-nuptials :shock: are done and dusted, I can stick my head above the parapet :lol:

This thread has discussed the various offerings in our stable and it seems that several of our steeds have been mentioned specifically in despatches -

I'd disagree with PD that automatics/tiptronics are a waste of time and uninspiring - one of the challenges is to try and 'change gear' as smoothly as you can imho; matching road speed with the new gear through a timed and held 'blip' is probably more difficult to get spot-on in the 320 CDI Estate than in either the Caterham or the Senator. The Über Barge (tm) has also been round several tracks, including Bruntingthorpe's long circuit but probably the most challenging outing was round the Sprint Course at Curborough :shock:

As (I think) Gareth has already said,the majority of us are restricted on our upper speeds nowadays - most of us don't carry the necessary dispensation papers from The Home Office - but that doesn't preclude us from enjoying our driving. Anyone with a modicum of knowledge can drive quickly in a straight liine. With a bit more knowledge, they can normally slow down sufficiently before the hazard that always features at the end of the straight section. But where we 'ordinary folk' can concentrate our efforts, is through building a solid foundation of all the other aspects of driving which don't involve trying to push the right foot out through the bulkhead.

The 3.0L, 24V Senator, bless her, has been likened to an aging lady who, once she's lifted her skirts, sure can run. The power, in a certain rev range (trade secret) :wink: just seems to keep on delivering - but you can't rush anything. Try and change gear too quickly and she'll baulk. Fail to use throttle or brake without sympathy and she lets you know how displeased she is. Turn into a corner without first giving her a hint of what you'd like her to do and she'll act like a stubborn mule. That, to my mind is a driver's car. You have to work with her to get her to show you her best.

Similarly, driving the Caterham is like wearing a favourite frock to a special party. She knows what's going on 'under the bodice' and if you listen and 'feel' what she's telling you - the two-way conversation is mesmerising. Ignore what's she says and she'll spit you out like a cherry pip into the nearest clump of bushes. Caterhams may 'handle like a go-kart' in the right hands but if you behave like an unruly teenager when driving them, it can all end in tears. Drive them badly and you'll end up needing a permanent supply of ibuprofen or even a visit to the orthopaedic surgeon. They really make you work at searching out uneven or changes in road surface; you have to scan even harder to make sure you've spotted everything - and you have to really make sure you've been seen by other road users.

Give me a car that needs driver input any day over one of the modern offerings packed full of gizmos. I want to be an active part in the process - not sitting in an arm chair with telly and remote control. I certainly don't want a car that corrects my steering, dictates my following distance or doesnt allow me the option of using power to re-create my safety cushion if someone else has committed highway robbery.

Best wishes

Well said Susie. I think i'll keep the T5 and put the Boxster on hold a while ;)
Rick

Postby PeteG » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:07 pm

See, now I really want a go in the Senator. :)
PeteG

Postby 7db » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:56 pm

i think you've just got a thing for old ladies hitching their skirts up and legging it...
7db

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:21 pm

7db wrote:i think you've just got a thing for old ladies hitching their skirts up and legging it...

Hugh with a skirt hitched up, now that would be something for sport relief :lol:
Rick

Postby TripleS » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:48 pm

chriskay wrote:
Susie wrote:
I'd disagree with PD that automatics/tiptronics are a waste of time and uninspiring - one of the challenges is to try and 'change gear' as smoothly as you can imho; matching road speed with the new gear through a timed and held 'blip' is probably more difficult to get spot-on in the 320 CDI Estate than in either the Caterham or the Senator.

Best wishes

This is a technique which I'd like to master; I guess I'll have to pay you a visit.
Chris.

Hello Chris, I trust you're well.

That technique Susie was referring to sounds somewhat similar to what I used to do with the Jaguar Soveriegn HE, mainly on down changes. IIRC the method was to snap the throttle open fairly quickly to provoke the down change, but then ease back on the throttle so that the engine was not pulling strongly after the change. The timing was important, and it needed a bit of care to avoid coming off the throttle too much, which could have the effect of prompting the transmission to immediately change up again.

This, by the way, was a 1984 car, and the more modern and sophisticated transmissions might not respond the same way. In any case a bit of careful experimenting would be in order.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby mycar7 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:14 am

James wrote:Here is a topic for debate. I have often browsed internet sites and adverts for these companies that will hire p2p car rental service, fully documented and legitimate, for a price. I have never bothered to go for anything, simply because despite my conjfidence that I will return the car in one piece, I don't have the £2500 deposit to put down on top of the original price in the first place. Some companies however have prices starting at around the £400 mark for the lower end of the scale (Porsche's, BMW M3's e.t.c.) and no requirement for a deposit.

Has anyone had any experience of these companies, and do they differ in service and quality from one another in terms of their pricing? I also have got the impression that each time you return a car they will always find "something" to deduct from your bank account, claiming anything from stone chips or fair wear and tear to obtain money.

I should hire a car before three months ago for two days and they submitted a copy of my driving license or credit card information and also took a deposit of 5,000 US dollar and when I return their car my 5,000 dollar will given back after one month of returning, they hide their rule they use that simple formula "amount will automatically credited in your account" this is very wrost thing for any renting company.
mycar7

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum