Prestige Car Hire

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:16 pm

Here is a topic for debate. I have often browsed internet sites and adverts for these companies that will hire you a prestige car, fully documented and legitimate, for a price. I have never bothered to go for anything, simply because despite my conjfidence that I will return the car in one piece, I don't have the £2500 deposit to put down on top of the original price in the first place. Some companies however have prices starting at around the £400 mark for the lower end of the scale (Porsche's, BMW M3's e.t.c.) and no requirement for a deposit.

Has anyone had any experience of these companies, and do they differ in service and quality from one another in terms of their pricing? I also have got the impression that each time you return a car they will always find "something" to deduct from your bank account, claiming anything from stone chips or fair wear and tear to obtain money.
James

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 pm

Se what you make of this.http://www.nostalgicmotoring.co.uk/index.html I'd have the MGB personaly but I have a thing about classic British cars, you'd never guess would you.
There's a place here in Edinburgh where you can Hire Jaguar E-Types, an original ford Mustang and a Mini Cooper S!!!.
Does it have to be a new car for you? Classics let you do the driving with out interference. These classics are in new condition and have unique styling to go with the way they drive. :wink:
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby BillZZR600 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:52 pm

MiniClubmanEstate wrote:Se what you make of this.http://www.nostalgicmotoring.co.uk/index.html I'd have the MGB personaly but I have a thing about classic British cars, you'd never guess would you.
There's a place here in Edinburgh where you can Hire Jaguar E-Types, an original ford Mustang and a Mini Cooper S!!!.
Does it have to be a new car for you? Classics let you do the driving with out interference. These classics are in new condition and have unique styling to go with the way they drive. :wink:

There is also a company at Sterling Mills Retail Park Tillicoultry who hire classics for tours of the Trossachs and Scotland. I can't remember their name but I had an admiring glance at their showroom when I was last up that way.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:38 pm

I am a modern man,and classic's, as much as I respect their place in modern day motoring heritage, do nothing for me. As for driving without interference I would find the lack of performance of classic car's (in most, but not all cases ,I know) an interference to my driving!
James

Postby Gareth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Police_Driver wrote:I would find the lack of performance of classic car's (in most, but not all cases ,I know) an interference to my driving!

Roughly where do you draw the line?

Am interested because I've enjoyed both low powered and high powered vehicles, but mostly I prefer vehicles that need to be driven, (versus those that are so accomplished that they cover up for the driver's lack of skill, such as recent top of the range BMW's, Mercedes' and Porche's, except on the track where it is a different kettle of fish).
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Police_Driver wrote:I am a modern man,and classics, as much as I respect their place in modern day motoring heritage, do nothing for me. As for driving without interference I would find the lack of performance of classic car's (in most, but not all cases ,I know) an interference to my driving!

An interesting post...

I would have thought a chap with your pedigree would prefer the challenge of a real car (without: traction control, power assisted steering, paddle-shift gears, ABS, computer controlled suspension etc. etc.) :wink: .

Personally I can jump in my friend Joe's M5 (the works & unrestricted) and its great fun...
...but its great fun in the old MG at 60 mph around the country roads, compared to 160 in the BMW.
Do not get me wrong, the Super Cars are super cars...
...but I find it a greater test of skill in a "Classic."

Rennie :wink:
rlmr

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:41 pm

StressedDave wrote:Anywhere that puts me on one side of it and any Alfa Romeo you care to mention on the other... :twisted: Only kidding, I'd much rather drive an old car where the driver's skill makes the difference to its behaviour than the vast majority of cars built after around 1995...

Gareth, you gonna stand for that? :-)
Darren

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:03 pm

A good driver will be good driver in any car.

Ultimately less aids, more power = best fun & more rewarding
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:49 pm

vonhosen wrote:A good driver will be good driver in any car.

I actually find the Tesco trolley with its (sometimes) 4 -wheel steering and limited acceleration, the greatest challenge...

Rennie
rlmr

Postby waremark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:02 pm

To revert to the original question:

1. I have never used any of these companies locally. I once hired a Corvette from a comparable outfit in Vancouver - actually I did not like it, and I was uncomfortable with the massive compulsory excess, but there were no problems when I returned the car.

2. I hire cars quite often. I have never had any aggravation about condition on returning the cars. I do check them over carefully before taking them out and insist that any damage is documented.

3. I think you may be rather young?? I understand that most companies make it difficult to hire a high performance car unless you are between 30 and 70.

Invest in joining HPC instead and come on club events. You will probably be offered the opportunity to drive some interesting cars.

Cheers.
waremark

Postby crr003 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:08 pm

rlmr wrote:...I would have thought a chap with your pedigree would prefer the challenge of a real car (without: traction control, power assisted steering, paddle-shift gears, ABS, computer controlled suspension etc. etc.) :wink:

Doesn't have to be old to fulfill these criteria though. Nice little Elise, or better still a VX220 (OK it's got ABS) will do!
crr003

Postby James » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:30 pm

Exactly cr003, which leads me to my reply which is, I forgot to mention earlier, performance matched with no traction control systems or computer wizardry. ABS is fine, but I prefer to drive just me and the car, so that there are only my feet and hands controlling what the wheels are doing and not a "third digital person" in between the process.
James

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:10 pm

Getting more & more difficult with some modern cars. A lot of "Safety" systems aren't fully disabled by switching them off at the button.
vonhosen

Postby 7db » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:16 pm

rlmr wrote:

I actually find the Tesco trolley with its (sometimes) 4 -wheel steering and limited acceleration, the greatest challenge...

Rennie

Hey! That's my car...
7db

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 pm

7db wrote:
rlmr wrote:

Rennie

Hey! That's my car...

Looks like an Ariel Atom
vonhosen

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum