Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:37 pm

Hi, I'm Jon. I recently found this site while googling on advanved driving. Looks like a fantastic resource.

I've been thinking for a while that it wouldn't hurt to find out how to be a better driver as it's easy to get complacent that your standards are okay. While I'd heard of the IAM before, I hadn't come across RoADA or HPC. Even better I've got a place on the HPC young persons course this weekend - so I might meet some of you there (I scrape into being under 26 by 2 weeks!). I look forward to seeing some of the skills described on here being put into practice - reading about them is all well and good, but you can't beat a real life example to explain things properly.

The entry requirements (ie course cost!) for HPC look prohibitive for me at the moment, but I'd be interesting hearing opinions (by PM if necessary ;)) of groups near Bristol for RoADA and IAM (hopefully without igniting a debate on which one is "bettter" :roll:). As I understand it it's often the availability and knowledge of the individual observers who make the biggest difference as both are fundamentally applying the same principles.

Jon
jont

Postby vonhosen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:41 pm

Welcome Jont

We have some Bristolians here so I'm sure you'll get a response.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:50 pm

Hello Jon - welcome to ADUK.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:43 pm

Welcome aboard Jon,
Darren

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:52 pm

Welcome, i hope you enjoy the young drivers day, i'm sure you will :D
Rick

Postby PeteG » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:23 pm

Hullo John. :D
PeteG

Postby Nigel » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:48 pm

hello John

Martine hasn't appeared yet, and he's one of the Bristol guys.

IAM Bristol group : http://www.iam.org.uk/IAMGroups/region1.php

(its listed on that page), I must ask Martin for permission to use his number on here
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:02 pm

Hi Jon,

This is one of the best sites for Advanced Driving material... even if folk like me stir the sh*t at times :wink: . I hope you enjoy participating and enjoy your driving :) .

Rennie
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby waremark » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:12 pm

jont wrote:The entry requirements (ie course cost!) for HPC look prohibitive for me at the moment, but I'd be interesting hearing opinions (by PM if necessary ;)) of groups near Bristol for RoADA and IAM (hopefully without igniting a debate on which one is "bettter" :roll:). As I understand it it's often the availability and knowledge of the individual observers who make the biggest difference as both are fundamentally applying the same principles.

Jon

Jon, you are spot on about this.
waremark

Postby rlmr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:34 am

jont wrote:As I understand it it's often the availability and knowledge of the individual observers who make the biggest difference as both are fundamentally applying the same principles.

I am afraid so... just reflects life... some folk are better at imparting information than others. But both IAM & RoSPA Groups should have a system in place whereby they QA their own Observers to ensure standards are kept high. You should find either organisation of benefit to you.. ask around locally and see which one gets the best name.

Rennie
rlmr

Postby martine » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:05 pm

jont wrote:The entry requirements (ie course cost!) for HPC look prohibitive for me at the moment, but I'd be interesting hearing opinions (by PM if necessary ;)) of groups near Bristol for RoADA and IAM (hopefully without igniting a debate on which one is "bettter" :roll:). As I understand it it's often the availability and knowledge of the individual observers who make the biggest difference as both are fundamentally applying the same principles.

Jon

Hi Jon and welcome! Sorry for my rather belated reply but I've been on hols until yesterday. As Nigel mentioned I am from the Bristol group of the IAM and can arrange for an info pack to be sent to you if you wish. You can also of course pm me or if you prefer phone (I've pm my number) and I can tell you more about our associate courses....basically we run 4 courses per year with around 30 on each - the next one is in October.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby twistyfing » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:39 am

I'm in Bristol too - Welcome :)
twistyfing

Postby 7db » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi Jon. Grew up in Bristol, but escaped...
7db

Return to General Car Chat Forum