Ford ST170 Old School

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby roganjosh » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Just wondered if there were any previous owners of amongst us? :lol:

I took one on an unexpected test drive yesterday, completely out of the blue to save a wasted journey and I have to say it put a bit of a smile on my face especially on the B roads, I hear they're a tad thirsty..
The better you look; the more you see.
roganjosh

Postby martine » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:07 am

Hi Rogan - I've got the more recent ST (MK2) but you might like to take a look at http://www.focusstoc.com - the forum is mostly populated by MK2 and MK3 owners but there are plenty who've had a ST170 (MK1) as well. Great source of info.

ST170s are what I'd call a 'street-sleeper' - progress by stealth and all that. Never driven one but I can see the attraction.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby roganjosh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:38 am

Cheers Martin will do, I really like the mkii ST Focuses, they look amazing!
The better you look; the more you see.
roganjosh

Postby martine » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm

roganjosh wrote:Cheers Martin will do, I really like the mkii ST Focuses, they look amazing!

Actually, personally I think there are plenty of nicer looking hot hatches (Vauxhall Astra VXR for instance) but I love the ST engine, practicality and ride. Not so keen on the fuel consumption but hey, that's what I'd expect from a 2.5 litre, 5 cylinder turbo 8)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:04 pm

martine wrote:
roganjosh wrote:Cheers Martin will do, I really like the mkii ST Focuses, they look amazing!

Actually, personally I think there are plenty of nicer looking hot hatches (Vauxhall Astra VXR for instance) but I love the ST engine, practicality and ride. Not so keen on the fuel consumption but hey, that's what I'd expect from a 2.5 litre, 5 cylinder turbo 8)

Ah, right. In that case I don't suppose you'll wish to hear what splendid mpg figures can be achieved with an elegantly driven 406 HDi then. :P

BWA,
D.
TripleS

Postby martine » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:26 pm

TripleS wrote:Ah, right. In that case I don't suppose you'll wish to hear what splendid mpg figures can be achieved with an elegantly driven 406 HDi then. :P

No thanks! I would probably find the nearest bridge...but each to their own!
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:17 pm

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:Ah, right. In that case I don't suppose you'll wish to hear what splendid mpg figures can be achieved with an elegantly driven 406 HDi then. :P

OK, sorry, Martin. Maybe I do tease you too often about eco-driving; but it does seem ironic that IIRC you buy into the climate change stuff and still drive the (thirsty) car you do, whereas I don't believe all the climate change guff but still prefer the high mpg car I have. Maybe it's just reflecting the difference between a young(ish) prosperous fella, and a poor OAP. :lol:

No matter, I expect we're both fairly happy with our choices.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:01 am

TripleS wrote:
martine wrote:

OK, sorry, Martin. Maybe I do tease you too often about eco-driving; but it does seem ironic that IIRC you buy into the climate change stuff and still drive the (thirsty) car you do, whereas I don't believe all the climate change guff but still prefer the high mpg car I have. Maybe it's just reflecting the difference between a young(ish) prosperous fella, and a poor OAP. :lol:

No matter, I expect we're both fairly happy with our choices.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I bet you'd rather have a new F Type though, you being a former Jaguar owner.
Mrs. D in the passenger seat, wind in the hair, off for a weekend of fun.
You could do that a cheap MX5, don't fall into the age trap.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
I bet you'd rather have a new F Type though, you being a former Jaguar owner.
Mrs. D in the passenger seat, wind in the hair, off for a weekend of fun.
You could do that a cheap MX5, don't fall into the age trap.

Surprising though it may seem, a new F type wouldn't be of interest, nor would any new car now.

I can still relate to the 'wind in the hair' bit, but unfortunately I now have very little hair for the wind to ruffle, but there's still an MX-5 in the family, so it can be done.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:45 pm

Jumping in late haven't been to this forum in a while.

Best car car I think I have ever owned wish I hadn't sold mine.

Despite a few reliability issues being known issues mine suffered nothing other than rattley heatshield which was fixed with some stainless steel ties, more reliable than a friends same age merc amg e55.

They are thirsty I supposed but not that bad could get 24-31mpg out of mine many asbo owners get rid quick as they cant cope with high teens bottom 20's the 170 seems to have a much higher owner retention.

The car was slated for not having enough power but that means unlike an astray vxr mk1 it doesnt have more power than it can handle. Yes they are not the fastest hot hatch but never found mine lacking. The mk1 focus was a very good car and although the mk2 abso was good it never handled like the mk1. I loved the look smart but not in your face wow look at me.

The car has such a nimble chassis that the missing 20bhp people moan about is not that noticeable. You can get a 5dr and even some estates and the equipment was plentiful. It has alot of the teaks which eventually made there way onto the mk1 rs like the rear brakes. The front brakes appear to 3.5tn transit calipers with custom disks, only no that as i ordered some after pads and guy showed me they fit st170 and 3.5tn transit, they stop well as shwon in a jerermy clarkson brakes test. I had bluefin superchips flash map job that seemed to improve mpg and open uo the bottom end. The car will do 70mph in 2nd reving 7300rpm.

I dont think if you get a good one you will be disappointed.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Return to General Car Chat Forum