Looking, at light controlled pedestrian crossings.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:46 pm

This evenings local news contained an article about Portsmouth Councils decision to reduce the number of school crossing patrols.The reporter was interviewing a mother outside a school on one of the major roads into the city. She was standing by a Puffin Crossing, and when asked by the reporter what she thought of the decision to not replace the crossing patrol, she said, that although there was a light controlled crossing, it was dangerous, as when the lights change to red cars don't always stop. Isn't the problem that children are not taught to look, but press the button, and when the green man shows cross the road? rather like many motorists do at traffic lights.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby DanFraser » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:59 pm

fungus wrote:This evenings local news contained an article about Portsmouth Councils decision to reduce the number of school crossing patrols.The reporter was interviewing a mother outside a school on one of the major roads into the city. She was standing by a Puffin Crossing, and when asked by the reporter what she thought of the decision to not replace the crossing patrol, she said, that although there was a light controlled crossing, it was dangerous, as when the lights change to red cars don't always stop. Isn't the problem that children are not taught to look, but press the button, and when the green man shows cross the road? rather like many motorists do at traffic lights.

I've just started my three year old girl on the looking before pressing the button.

Don't know why though, they're just pacifier buttons unless it's a simple road crossing.
DanFraser

Postby PeterE » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:38 am

DanFraser wrote:Don't know why though, they're just pacifier buttons unless it's a simple road crossing.

Some are, but for example there is one at a signalised crossroads near me that doesn't provide the pedestrian phase unless you press the button.

I sometimes wonder if I am setting a bad example to the kiddies if I read the junction and cross on the red man - there is one movement which generates virtually zero left-turning traffic so you can safely cross that arm.
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby TripleS » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:27 am

PeterE wrote:
DanFraser wrote:Don't know why though, they're just pacifier buttons unless it's a simple road crossing.

Some are, but for example there is one at a signalised crossroads near me that doesn't provide the pedestrian phase unless you press the button.

I sometimes wonder if I am setting a bad example to the kiddies if I read the junction and cross on the red man - there is one movement which generates virtually zero left-turning traffic so you can safely cross that arm.

With respect, Peter, I think that might be considered to be a bad example. Until the youngsters reach the stage where they can make safe judgements of their own, it could lead them to by-pass the system at other times, possibly exposing them to dangers that would not otherwise arise.

As for the need for a pedestrian to press the button to activate the pedestrian phase, that's how it should be, in my view. In Scarborough we have numerous junctions with traffic lights, all including arrangements for pedestrians to cross the road, and I quite often see all the traffic streams held up for the duration of a pedestrian phase, even when there are no pedestrians in the vicinity. This is a nonsense system.
TripleS

Postby exportmanuk » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:00 pm

In Manchester in the months before they tried to introduce the congestion charge they increased the pedestrian crossing time and on some lights to complete when there is no one waiting. Not sat and timed it, but that set appears to give the same time for cars and for pedestrians.
exportmanuk

Postby PeterE » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm

TripleS wrote:
PeterE wrote:I sometimes wonder if I am setting a bad example to the kiddies if I read the junction and cross on the red man - there is one movement which generates virtually zero left-turning traffic so you can safely cross that arm.

With respect, Peter, I think that might be considered to be a bad example. Until the youngsters reach the stage where they can make safe judgements of their own, it could lead them to by-pass the system at other times, possibly exposing them to dangers that would not otherwise arise.

Well yes, I am aware of that, so I consciously avoid doing it when there are young children also looking to cross. The sort of thing that the "advanced driving" mindset would lead you to consider :D

As an aside, I often use this Puffin crossing in Heaton Mersey which is so insensitive to pedestrian demand that, despite being on a busy road, I can normally find a safe gap to cross before the lights change. And then, of course, they do :roll:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:42 pm

When my wife and I were in Germany a couple of years ago, we came across a cross roads in Cologne which were completely free of traffic. We just looked, it was clear, so we crossed. This was with the pedestrian light on red. We then noticed that people were looking at us as if we had done something wrong. When we mentioned it to the tour courier, she was aghast. "You will be arrested if the police catch you doing that, it's against the law over here.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby fungus » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 pm

IIRC the problem with young children is that they can not detect vehicle movement under about 22mph, adults will detect movement at about 7mph.

What gets me is when adults or older children walk up to the crossing, press the button, THEN look. But do pedestrians put too much faith in light controlled crossings? I have heard that Zebra crossings are actually safer, because pedestrians actually look to see if traffic has stopped.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:25 pm

Puffin crossings are rubbish.
I have to look at a signal on a pole alongside me, rather than have lifted vision taking in the traffic from all directions.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby PeterE » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:29 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:Puffin crossings are rubbish.
I have to look at a signal on a pole alongside me, rather than have lifted vision taking in the traffic from all directions.

63 pages of discussion on the subject here :roll:
PeterE

Postby WhoseGeneration » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:23 pm

PeterE wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Puffin crossings are rubbish.

63 pages of discussion on the subject here :roll:

Ta, yet another waste of taxpayers' money.
Which, no doubt, taxpayers' funded group of idiots came up with this design?

Eta, I'm old and so brought up to be intelligent when a pedestrian and wanting to cross a road.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby Ancient » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:59 am

fungus wrote:This evenings local news contained an article about Portsmouth Councils decision to reduce the number of school crossing patrols.The reporter was interviewing a mother outside a school on one of the major roads into the city. She was standing by a Puffin Crossing, and when asked by the reporter what she thought of the decision to not replace the crossing patrol, she said, that although there was a light controlled crossing, it was dangerous, as when the lights change to red cars don't always stop. Isn't the problem that children are not taught to look, but press the button, and when the green man shows cross the road? rather like many motorists do at traffic lights.

No, the problem is that many drivers take no notice of pedestrians waiting to cross the road, believing that their (the driver's) right to unimpeded rapid progress trumps the pedestrians right to get safely to their destination on the other side. This has lead to such innovation as zebra crossings and (when drivers still ignore the pedestrians right to cross) light controlled crossings. Because some drivers still ignore the (red) lights, pedestrians still need to look when the green man shows, but that need is a response to the underlying problem of ignorant and dangerous car drivers. Expecting children to understand such complex roots of the problem is difficult and they do need (for their own safety) to be trained to wait for cars to stop; this unfortunately reinforces the car drivers' assumption that all responsibility for keeping out of the vehicle's path rests with the pedestrian.
In short, the mother was right.
Ancient

Postby Slink_Pink » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:39 am

It's rather a shame that some of each of the categories of all road uses either feel that their journey is particularly urgent or simply pay no attention to other road users. If everyone played by the rules a little more then the 'game' would become much easier. This applies to all aspects of the road such as crossings, box junctions, merging, etc.
Q: "Need I remind you, 007, that you have a license to kill, not to break the traffic laws."
Slink_Pink

Postby lordgrover » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Ancient wrote:No, the problem is that many drivers take no notice of pedestrians waiting to cross the road, believing that their (the driver's) right to unimpeded rapid progress trumps the pedestrians right to get safely to their destination on the other side. ...

Apologies for selective quoting.

Is this something local to you or maybe inner cities? Is it really widespread?
I've not noticed this behaviour out in the 'burbs of Bristol and Bath.
lordgrover

Postby Ancient » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 pm

In my experience it's a problem which goes along with a certain type of urban culture. Certainly it is true in many parts of London, Nottingham, Birmongham and Coventry (so 'a city thing perhaps); some road types encourage it, usually those which emphasise traffic flow over local environment (an unfortunate tendency in most UK traffic management schemes) particularly when combined with high volumes of traffic (might is right).
Ancient

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum