NSL sign to make a comeback in Ireland

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby PeterE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Interesting news that that the black-on-white NSL sign is to make a comeback in Ireland to mark the default 80 km/h rural speed limit. There had been many complaints that 80 km/h signs at the entrance to tiny rural lanes looked ridiculous and were likely to bring the whole system into disrepute.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1121/488146-speed-limits/

From the official statement, it looks as though the national guidelines will be made mandatory on local highway authorities, and there will be an appeals procedure against inconsistent limits, both of which we lack in the UK:

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2013/speed-limits-review-body-publishes-report-recommends-new-appeals-system
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby martine » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I wish the NSL would make a comeback where I live in South Glos... :evil:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Silk » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:13 pm

PeterE wrote:Interesting news that that the black-on-white NSL sign is to make a comeback in Ireland to mark the default 80 km/h rural speed limit. There had been many complaints that 80 km/h signs at the entrance to tiny rural lanes looked ridiculous and were likely to bring the whole system into disrepute.

I thought the default was 100. At least it was when I was there a few weeks back. Although I'm not sure if limits apply to UK registered cars. ;-)
Silk

Postby trashbat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:19 pm

It's 100 on N-roads, 80 on the rest obviously except motorways and towns.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby PeterE » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:23 pm

trashbat wrote:It's 100 on N-roads, 80 on the rest obviously except motorways and towns.

I've not been there since the changeover, but I get the impression that 100 limits have been applied to many N-roads that certain English councils would undoubtedly have reduced to 50 :evil:
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby trashbat » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:30 pm

It's certainly interesting that they have an appeals process. We could do with the same. Unfortunately it would take more than that.

As I understand it, the current UK speed limit review process operates on roads that are targeted for reduction due to accident rates etc, and involves taking the average speed of traffic - meaning that if the average person bimbles along a NSL road at 40mph, then that's what you get.

Assuming most people roughly comply with the posted limit, then short of organised civil disobedience, it's hard or impossible to use that same process to have a limit raised.
Rob - IAM F1RST, Alfa Romeo 156 JTS
trashbat

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:42 pm

trashbat wrote:It's certainly interesting that they have an appeals process. We could do with the same. Unfortunately it would take more than that.

As I understand it, the current UK speed limit review process operates on roads that are targeted for reduction due to accident rates etc, and involves taking the average speed of traffic - meaning that if the average person bimbles along a NSL road at 40mph, then that's what you get.

Assuming most people roughly comply with the posted limit, then short of organised civil disobedience, it's hard or impossible to use that same process to have a limit raised.

Dunno about organised civil disobedience, but my policy is individual CD, if there is such a thing. :evil:

I feel a bit like old man Gustafson (Burgess Meredith): "I'm 95 years old, what the hell do I care!" :mrgreen:
TripleS

Postby jont » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:32 pm

trashbat wrote:As I understand it, the current UK speed limit review process operates on roads that are targeted for reduction due to accident rates etc, and involves taking the average speed of traffic - meaning that if the average person bimbles along a NSL road at 40mph, then that's what you get.

Worse than that. Once roads have been selected for action, limits can be set at 50th percentile speeds (so that at which half of free flowing traffic would exceed), and even more worrying, councils can decide they know better than the DfT and do damn well what they like, ignoring what the guidelines suggest would be an appropriate limit and imposing something lower :x
jont

Postby sussex2 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:04 pm

I have no problem with the lower limits but yes do find them occasionally mildly irritating; nothing more than that.
Living in two countries one of which has had lower limits for years and yes they do enforce them and with no leeway either I don't mind a bit (they even hide speed cameras in derelict cars).
I can enjoy driving at any speed and the discipline attached to the lower limits is a mild challenge; nothing more.
Here in the UK we have one of the highest 'off crossing' pedestrian casualty rates; something that purely in my own opinion is a national disgrace.
These figures are hidden within the overall better than average attrition rates.
A survey done by the AA broadly agrees with my feelings and though dated now the general attitudes do not seem to have changed:

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/new ... urvey.html
I'm not bothered about the old Romanians and Bulgarians but the Old Etonians scare me rigid.
sussex2

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:29 pm

sussex2 wrote:I have no problem with the lower limits but yes do find them occasionally mildly irritating; nothing more than that.
Living in two countries one of which has had lower limits for years and yes they do enforce them and with no leeway either I don't mind a bit (they even hide speed cameras in derelict cars).
I can enjoy driving at any speed and the discipline attached to the lower limits is a mild challenge; nothing more.
Here in the UK we have one of the highest 'off crossing' pedestrian casualty rates; something that purely in my own opinion is a national disgrace.
These figures are hidden within the overall better than average attrition rates.
A survey done by the AA broadly agrees with my feelings and though dated now the general attitudes do not seem to have changed:

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/new ... urvey.html

Yes, I too enjoy driving generally, regardless of speed, but if we're talking about pedestrian involvement, that is confined mainly, though not exclusively, to built-up areas. So far as the NSL is concerned I do not see why one can not drive at higher speeds out on the open road where there might not be anybody else around who could be affected. The idea that one can never exceed the NSL in any circumstances whatsoever, is something I can not see as reasonable, and will not respect. It's only a technical rule anyhow.

This is, of course, purely a personal view, and not one that should be taken to be indicative of the general feeling within ADUK, or anywhere else for that matter; though I doubt if I'm entirely alone in this. :)
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:49 pm

TripleS wrote:
Yes, I too enjoy driving generally, regardless of speed, but if we're talking about pedestrian involvement, that is confined mainly, though not exclusively, to built-up areas. So far as the NSL is concerned I do not see why one can not drive at higher speeds out on the open road where there might not be anybody else around who could be affected. The idea that one can never exceed the NSL in any circumstances whatsoever, is something I can not see as reasonable, and will not respect. It's only a technical rule anyhow.

This is, of course, purely a personal view, and not one that should be taken to be indicative of the general feeling within ADUK, or anywhere else for that matter; though I doubt if I'm entirely alone in this. :)

Then, you're old and don't understand the political rationale behind all the speed detecting stuff.
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

Postby TripleS » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:58 pm

WhoseGeneration wrote:
TripleS wrote:

Then, you're old and don't understand the political rationale behind all the speed detecting stuff.

No, I guess not; but what I do understand, I don't like.

Minor rant mode: Those old 'jokes' about "the machines taking over" are becoming less of a joke as time goes by. Sooner or later we might have to reassert that we're human, and we're not going to be ruled by machines, even if small(ish) numbers of technically very clever human beings are setting them up to do it. :evil:
TripleS

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:10 am

TripleS wrote:
Minor rant mode: Those old 'jokes' about "the machines taking over" are becoming less of a joke as time goes by. Sooner or later we might have to reassert that we're human, and we're not going to be ruled by machines, even if small(ish) numbers of technically very clever human beings are setting them up to do it. :evil:

Meaning you do understand, it's not what the the 1960s "revolution" was about. That was, essentially, about personal freedom, respect for others and personal responsibility.
WhoseGeneration

Postby PeterE » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:17 am

WhoseGeneration wrote:Meaning you do understand, it's not what the the 1960s "revolution" was about. That was, essentially, about personal freedom, respect for others and personal responsibility.

Although in some respects the 1960s were when the shades of the prison house started to descend, most notably in the introduction of the national 70 mph limit in 1965.
PeterE

Postby WhoseGeneration » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:33 am

PeterE wrote:
WhoseGeneration wrote:Meaning you do understand, it's not what the the 1960s "revolution" was about. That was, essentially, about personal freedom, respect for others and personal responsibility.

Although in some respects the 1960s were when the shades of the prison house started to descend, most notably in the introduction of the national 70 mph limit in 1965.

Ah, the "temporary" limit, perhaps we, then, were not able to appreciate the future ramifications of that, concerned as we were about challenging the orthodoxy of the Establishment in other areas.
Point taken though and reinforces how we, as citizens, should always be alert to the attempts of those with power to dictate how we can live our lives.
WhoseGeneration

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum